The Jedi and the love issue

Not sure why this thread is in "spoilers" ... But having said that ...

It's just my opinion, but I think the prohibition against love (in the male/female sexual relationship sense) is a fatal flaw in any code, including the 'conventional' Jedi code.

Human sexuality is among the strongest of forces that influence and impact every human. One needs only to look at the past and present of the Roman Catholic church to see that repression of normal human sexuality inevitably results in the generation of corrupted sexuality. The same is equally apparent in figureheads of protestant christian churches who take an extreme view of human sexuality. Sexuality can no more be repressed than "the force" itself.

An early comment in this thread referenced Buddaism; nevertheless, Budda, himself, spent many of his own early years learning that extremes were not the path of enlightenment.

It is true that sex can used to corrupt. Again, both history and present times reveal this as a truth. But that being the case, one must ask the question; how does one best defend against sexual corruption? Is sexual starvation really the best defense? Or perhaps might it be possible that a stronger defense could be afforded by the sexual satisfaction of a loving relationship? I vote for the latter.

As to the views that the life or needs of a loved one would cause conflicts of interest that would interfere with a Jedi's decisions on justice or taking appropriate actions, IMO those views reflect only the shallowest understanding of the commitments and strengths of good people. In the present game, itself, it is clear that Visas wants the Exile to place the needs of the galaxy before her own life. Yet she loves the Exile. And isn't it quite possible that such love could increase the capability of anyone, including Jedi, to accomplish the greatest amount of good?

Well, at any rate, that's how I see it.

Ah, well that would explain a lot of the Jedis problems, too. The failure to bond with parents at the earliest years is a major issue; very young people require a close bond in order to form some of the most fundamental mental processes, like empathy.

Yes, it would. Matter of fact, in one of the clone wars novels, Dooku refers to the jedi as "children their parents decided they could live without" in terms of jedi recruitment, and an attitude toward jedi 'talent scouts' as babynappers. I can't imagine what kind of havoc that would play with the psyche of someone who wasn't jedi trained. However, they are certainly cared for to some extent, there's mention in other clone wars novels of Yoda being very involved with infants and young kids.

As far as this issue in the rest of the star wars EU, it's conflicted, usually by the specific author's feelings on the matter, but I've heard of Jedi being married. I haven't heard of the "no strings sex" approach, (most likely due to unwillingness to glorify that sort of lifestyle on the part of either the author or lucasfilm) but that seems to be the most sensible thing to do, as long as Jedi can keep sexual desire and emotional attachment separate.

Now, in terms of the Jedi repressing their sexuality, as I mentioned it earlier, the Jedi are basically trained from birth to totally repress what makes them 'human' and that includes forming attachments, sexual desire, selfishness, reacting emotionally and a whole host of other things. I figure if it's enough to expect Jedi to not form attachments to anyone or anything, even their Master/Padawan, one can similarly ask them to forsake sex, especially if Jedi calming techniques work for turning themselves off.

I was wondering.....if two jedi love each other and have a baby - is that baby necessarily force sensitive....is that something that is random or a rule. Then I ask myself if the force is then actually connected to the DNA of a force sensitive individual or something?....I always thought to have potential and the foundation to "feel" the force means to have a "superior" mind capabilities and the advantage in wisdom and foresight when compared to others or is it something to the with the physical characteristic of one - like the DNA.....or is the force far beyond the phisical or mental....when I look at it again I think it's the last one, but then again why would a child of two jedi then be a must force sensitive individual? I know I'm a little bit of topic, but what the hell..... :thumbsup:

Your thoughts.......

Well, here's favorite subject of star wars fans everywhere: Midi-Chlorians.

According to Lucas, it would seem that any jedi offspring would have about as many midichlorians as the average of their parents, so a child born to two jedi should most probably be force sensitive.

Edit: well, technically, I suppose everyone in star wars is force sensitive, midi-chlorian count is just a measure of how easy one can call upon the force, and, per kreia, be used by it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as far as the love issue, I can see a ban on Jedi getting married. It makes sense to me that a Jedi should not be married, they are sort of 'married to the job,' but as far as more intimate relationships are concerned, there are biological and physiological reasons for such relationships. The idea that relationships are bad is rather puritanical and unrealistic especially amongst a group of dedicated mentally and physiclally healthy individuals such as the Jedi are reputed to be.

So I guess my stance is: marriage: no. Healthy relationships: okay.

GG