Open Source

Darth Flatus

There are about a gazillion open source programs around so I would be very surprised if there isn't a firewall and spyware blocker, or twenty.

I swear by a hardware firewall -- much better than software firewalls. Never really had a problem with spybots (mustn't be frequenting the same nefarious sites :-" ). The Micro$oft spy program is apparently pretty good, except it allows all the popups on MSN to work by design. :ermm::rolleyes:

As for firewalls, I too found Zone Alarm impractical. I just use BoG-standard Norton. As I don't use Micro$oft's Outlook/Exchange mail application, I have never had a worm (and Idon't download any executables from email, except by prior arrangement). I also have a redirection mail service filtering my internet email (about US$20 a year) so I get very little spam (Baley's forum posts still get through :-" ).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't even use a firewall. I have my anti-virus, my anti-spyware, and Firefox, and haven't had any problems.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There are about a gazillion open source programs around so I would be very surprised if there isn't a firewall and spyware blocker, or twenty.

I swear by a hardware firewall -- much better than software firewalls. Never really had a problem with spybots (mustn't be frequenting the same nefarious sites  :-" ). The Micro$oft spy program is apparently pretty good, except it allows all the popups on MSN to work by design. :p  :thumbsup:

As for firewalls, I too found Zone Alarm impractical. I just use BoG-standard Norton. As  I don't use Micro$oft's Outlook/Exchange mail application, I have never had a worm (and  Idon't download any executables from email, except by prior arrangement). I also have a redirection mail service filtering my internet email (about US$20 a year) so I get very little spam (Baley's forum posts still get through  :-" ).

I don't use anti-virus continuously: I leave it off. (I do continually acitivate it on a regular schedule to ensure I am virus free, but I have only ever had one virus.) AV tends to gum up the OS, sticking its busybody nose into every disk read/write. Slows things down and complicating them to the breakage point. A good firewall will prevent anyone trying to hack into your internet node (PC) -- which I have had happen an alarming amount of times! The only other criterion is to not download any unverified executables from the internet -- which I never do.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I use NOD32 as my anti virus. It's extremely fast and resource efficient (and was quite cheap too) but it's never caught a virus yet. Does that mean I never get any virus or that it just doesn't work well..? HMM.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I use NOD32 as my anti virus. It's extremely fast and resource efficient (and was quite cheap too) but it's never caught a virus yet. Does that mean I never get any virus or that it just doesn't work well..? HMM.

Former.

(You can always go to the Symantec site and get your computer checked online for free.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So i tried out that microsoft anti spyware thing and as it turns out it seems to be a bit crap - it detected nothing! not even a cookie! even though i set it to its most sensitive.

(Spybot and ad aware picked up some stuff)

I know the program is beta but does that mean they just put in the pretty interface and left out the functionality? ;)

Anybody else tried it out? Thoughts?

No, it does not detect cookies because most cookies are harmless and they do say it does not detect cookies.

And yes, it detects ... I keep it up because it warms of any change to internet security and activeX controls trying to instal.

drakron.png

AdAwareSE is completely useless, all it ever does is clear IE's cache and that you can do yourself... gah

now that im runnig FireFox it cant find the cookies at all.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

but it doesnt... only windows temp lists and whatevers in temporary internet files comes up.

SHENNANIGANS I SAY!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just saw some numbers, and it seems as of April 2005, Firefox has 10+% of the browser market share. I think in January it was barely making a scratch at like 3% Its catching on.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg