How to create logical dialogue sequences in RPGs?

noone9

In making an RPG or Graphic Adventure like game, what would be the best approach

to create a 'dialogue engine' (bunch of logical RPG-like dialogues or conversations). A binary tree, a graph, or embedding some other language in the C/C++ code, like a scripting language or something like Prolog???

Or actually creating some engine myself?

I personally like the editor style in NWN. It's sorta like a wierd tree thing...

If you were to do it in C++ (which I can read/translate fairly decent. Writing the code takes some time, but I can most likely read it and understand it.), then it may take a long time... Creating the engine would also most likely take time, but it would be good in the long run, if your RPG-like game had enough convos... If not, then making the code from scratch two or three times may be easier.

Just my advice from my limited experience w/ convo editing...

Oh, and off topic: Does anybody know a fast way to get dialogue to repeat itself in the NWN editor? In the campaign mods the text is in grey, but I have to copy and paste and rewrite over and over, and a decent convo takes me 4 hours if I want it to work right...

Another off topic: What would be considered a moderate sized NWN module?

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

"Does anybody know a fast way to get dialogue to repeat itself in the NWN editor? In the campaign mods the text is in grey, but I have to copy and paste and rewrite over and over, and a decent convo takes me 4 hours if I want it to work right..."

First copy the dialogue than either paste and/or paste and link. I learned just a few months ago.

"Another off topic: What would be considered a moderate sized NWN module?"

I dunno. I would think one that is 3-6 hours is moderately sized. the one I'm working on personally will be probably 2-4 hours yet I still have like 50k words of dialogue worth already completed. It's about 10 or so areaswas total with many of those small.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I dunno. I would think one that is 3-6 hours is moderately sized. the one I'm working on personally will be probably 2-4 hours yet I still have like 50k words of dialogue worth already completed. It's about 10 or so areaswas total with many of those small.

Are you ever going to release it to the general masses? I'd like to give it a try.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Are you ever going to release it to the general masses? I'd like to give it a try."

When I'm done. Heh. Writing dialogue really anooys me though even though I like writing. It cna be so tedious, and that's like 80% of what's left. Areas are done, characters are done. It's just finishing dial,ogue, adding henchmen, and editing various spells (espicially summons which are getting a huge overhaul), and of course play tetsing. Of course, my play testers suck. I've had like 5-6 of them who offered; but only 2 have put some effort into it (not that I blame the others as play tetsing cna be annoying, lol).

Anyways, it's off topic...

Mine has one huge town area, an in-theory starting tavern, multiple houses, another portion of town (the ghetto :blink: ), an evil temple of Shar, a good temple of Sune, and possible farmland and hill region... It's going to be fun, because (as of yet) you have to be evil instead of good. If not, then all the people (the Avatar of Shar and all of her many servants) attack you as you progress... I'll either have an evil vs. good (Shar v.s. Sune) or an evil vs evil (Shar against Xvim)... I'm not quite sure, though...

Volourn, I may have future questions (this is my first time with the NWN editor, although I did do a little mini-story thing in Morrowind...).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

"It's going to be fun,"

I'd hope you say. The last thing i'd want is for someone to say the following:"My mod is going to be the most unfun mod ever." For some reason; other than in a joking manner; that mod would not get very far. LOL

"Volourn, I may have future questions (this is my first time with the NWN editor,"

No problem; just keep in mind though that I'm no expert. However, I'm pretty good at everything but scripting where I'm barely meidcore. I actually use the Script Editor tm. for that. Lilac Souls' to be exact.

Anyways, if you want more help; might be best to start another thread in RPG General discussion and/or pm me so we don't get accused of spamming. LOL

Yeah, I figured that one out...

I use the script editor, too, although I know how to create scripts (in theory). Thank Bioware for descriptive variables... Can you imagine trying to script an area transition with Pie and Apples for variables??? :ph34r:

Now I just wish I could test my module (or what I have)... Every time I try to run it it says "Insufficient hard disc space." Man, I so wanna see Shar in person...

Geekified Star Wars Geek