Radeon IGP 345M / Comments appreciated..

Hello fellow KOTOR lovers (or haters.. depending solely on how much LA/OE has angered you.. lol).

I come before you with a question! And that question is..

Can people with "Radeon IGP 345M"'s play KOTOR II? I was told by "Jason" at Lucas Arts that there is no hope and I should try and seek a refund. Is this the truth? I played KOTOR just fine, and heck I've played newer games and found them running just great.

Can the IGP 345M play this?

Thanks.

(Edit: I can install the game, load the game, make a character, and see the "asteroid belt" intro.. then when it's supposed to go into the Ebon Hawk's interior.. it black screens, I hear music--sometimes, and then a Microsoft Error report thing pops up..)

PS: I have the newest drivers, have tried older ones, and have a nice laptop.. it's brand new.

Hello fellow KOTOR lovers (or haters.. depending solely on how much LA/OE has angered you.. lol).

Can people with "Radeon IGP 345M"'s play KOTOR II? I was told by "Jason" at Lucas Arts that there is no hope and I should try and seek a refund. Is this the truth? I played KOTOR just fine, and heck I've played newer games and found them running just great.

Thanks.

(Edit: I can install the game, load the game, make a character, and see the "asteroid belt" intro.. then when it's supposed to go into the Ebon Hawk's interior.. it black screens, I hear music--sometimes, and then a Microsoft Error report thing pops up..)

PS: I have the newest drivers, have tried older ones, and have a nice laptop.. it's brand new.

that chip is a Radeon 9100 which is a Ati Radeon 8500.

*issue's Radeon 8500 Based chips.

When playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II on a card with one of these chipsets, you may experience the following issues:

Changes made to the Brightness slider may not be retained after exiting the game. When you restart the game, the brightness will be at the default setting, but the slider will be in the position that you selected before exiting the game. Please check for updated drivers, which may correct this issue.

Highly detailed textures may display a moray pattern that changes with camera movement. Increasing the level of Anisotropy in the Advanced Graphics Options menu may help alleviate this issue *

Thanks.

Negative. That thing is related to the R100 series from ATI. Basically it's a stripped down Radeon 256 / Radeon 7x00. It would run the game very poorly if at all. It people with Radeon 7500's can't play, you are definitely out of luck.

Thanks.

Negative. That thing is related to the R100 series from ATI. Basically it's a stripped down Radeon 256 / Radeon 7x00. It would run the game very poorly if at all. It people with Radeon 7500's can't play, you are definitely out of luck.

no it's a 9100.

http://search.ati.com/nasearch.asp?Query=I...Total=&Stat=New

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t260180.html

So I've got two different opinions being thrown at me, one of you says I can play it.. but there will be some known issues.. and the other is saying "negative".

I can play KOTOR, VTMB, and many others just fine.. I could care less about performance, SERIOUSLY, I just wanna know when this game is patched (assuming it fixes my problem) will I be able to go through the game playing? (Crappy performance compared to others or not..)

Thanks for replying guys--let's keep this going.. as I know there are many owners with the same video card as me!

I'm pretty sure that it is based on Radeon 7000. ATI's IGP340M page (there is no specific 345M page) mentions only Radeon 7000/7200 features (charisma engine, pixel tapestry garbage), nothing about pixel or vertex shading.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonigp/features.html

I'm also certain that his system would have a sticker on it saying "ATI 9100IGP" if it was that. I've seen that at Best Buy with the 9000IGP.

You could download 3DMark2001SE and see what score you get, and if it will run the Nature or Pixel Shader tests to be certain. If it doesn't, it lacks Pixel Shader units and is basically a stripped down original Radeon 7200/7500, otherwise known as a Radeon VE/7000.

In my Windows Folder, I have a folder named "Radeon 9200 - IGP 345M" so I assume I have the equivalent of a 9200.. which meets requirements.

I'll await the patch and see if I can run it. (I have actually made some more progress by disabling movies again.. I saw the interior of the ebon hawk (great graphics) and then I moved a lil'.. and THEN it froze).

I'm saying very clearly "hold out the hope IGP / 9200 / ATI users in general!" I know I'll be able to play the game, just need the intro movie bug fixed.

Go LA/OB Go.. make a good patch and make us proud.

I ran that "3DMark2001 SE" program and scored 1706 points. The only thing that didn't run was Pixel Shading, every single other thing worked beautifully.

This is a call out.. IGP users.. where ya at? Let's talk about this, have any of you IGP got this working? I'll start a topic on it if I don't hear back within a bit.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have got KOTOR I & II running on my compaq presario 2566ap laptop

FYI - Key Specs (HD etc seem irelevnt) -

Intel P4 2.8

Ram 512 (Shared with vid)

Vid 64mb Radeon IGP 345m

Win XP Home with SP2

What I did:

I initially had Patje's ATI mod (goto www.driverheaven.net to get it) running with ATI Catalyst 5.1 which ran KOTOR I no problems.

I then loaded KOTOR II and got some play but mostly player freezes. The prologue would not work at all.

I tried all the tweaks etc that I could, but still no go.

I then uninstalled Patje's mod and cleaned the driver out entirely with drive cleaner pro (get from www.omegadrivers.net).

I then installed Omega drivers. These did not work at all, the game did not even start and all I got was an XP error report (please send to B Gates).

So another uninstall, then a search of these forums and some VERY useful information THANKS a lot all you tech heads out there (me not being one of them) for your help and postings.

Ultimately I went to ATI and downloaded Catalyst 4.12 as it seemed that several users had success with this, and Catalyst 5.4 (note these are reasonable size files so be prepared for a long d/l time if you are on dial up).

I then started with no mod (Patje or Omega) in the mean time my vid card started to show as ATI Radeon X200/X300 - I do not know how this happened but I suspect it is something to do with the clean out using driver cleaner.

I then loaded Patje's mod and Catalyst 5.4 - KOTOR II now works!

Note I have all settings on low/high performance.

The only issue I had was in the mines on Pregorus(?) where you have to go through the heated part. I had player freezes there but with running then when the freeze happened saving the game, quitting and then restarting I got through in a couple of restarts.

I am now on Teros and have had no further problems. I think problems occur when there is a lot of "smoke" in the picture.

I now see that ATI has released Catalyst 5.5 but I have not loaded it, and I will not as I seem to be going ok

If it can't run the pixel shader tests, it's not based on 9000 or 9200. It's an original Radeon core.

If you score 1700 in 3dmark2001 you are not going to be running any modern-ish games well at all. You're looking at performance around the level of a Matrox G400, Geforce 2MX 100 (junk), TNT2, Rage128. It's bad. In fact, the original Geforce 256 from 1999 is easily 2x faster.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8521726

Highest score for an IGP340 on Futuremark's ORB.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7877600

Highest score for a 9100 IGP. That's about 5x better. It's still not so hot, but very good for an IGP. Very good. Only IGP that's better is a Radeon Xpress 200. Note that this one ran the Nature test which means it has pixel shading support.

BTW, Radeon 9000 and 9200 are the same chip except 9200 has AGP 8x (pointless). Radeon 9100 and 8500 are identical. 8500 is the fastest of all of them though, especially the 8500 128MB as its memory is interleaved for a speed boost. IGP9100 is a 2x1 I believe, it's less than half of a full blown 9000 (I'm sure 9100 IGP is NOT based on 8500/desktop 9100).

If it can't run the pixel shader tests, it's not based on 9000 or 9200. It's an original Radeon core.

If you score 1700 in 3dmark2001 you are not going to be running any modern-ish games well at all. You're looking at performance around the level of a Matrox G400, Geforce 2MX 100 (junk), TNT2, Rage128. It's bad. In fact, the original Geforce 256 from 1999 is easily 2x faster.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8521726

Highest score for an IGP340 on Futuremark's ORB.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7877600

Highest score for a 9100 IGP. That's about 5x better. It's still not so hot, but very good for an IGP. Very good. Only IGP that's better is a Radeon Xpress 200. Note that this one ran the Nature test which means it has pixel shading support.

BTW, Radeon 9000 and 9200 are the same chip except 9200 has AGP 8x (pointless). Radeon 9100 and 8500 are identical. 8500 is the fastest of all of them though, especially the 8500 128MB as its memory is interleaved for a speed boost. IGP9100 is a 2x1 I believe, it's less than half of a full blown 9000 (I'm sure 9100 IGP is NOT based on 8500/desktop 9100).

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I also edit the kotor2.ini file (refer to the troubleshoot guide) and added under [Graphics Options]

"Disable vertex buffer objects=1"

This is a useful thread to read as well:

ATI video cards with KotOR2, Which driver version would work?

It seems I may be wrong about Catalyst 4.12 and 4.11 is the best for these cards (see page 4, Kaftan Barlast).

I

Well I'm not sure what you can do...

I do remember Catalyst 4.2 being VERY popular for KOTOR1. And, btw, there is a way to extract the OpenGL driver from each Catalyst pack. You can then put that file in the KOTOR2 folder and test each version. It's a tedious process though...

Here's a guide

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...74entry282174

As for disabling more stuff, you'll have to check the INI file. I don't even have the game installed right now. I'm not going to play it until they release that media pack, or until it's obvious they've decided to ignore us.

You should also try dropping the Texture Preference and Mipmap Detail Level sliders in ATI's control panel to the min. This should help a bit.

You could even try overclocking the IGP. I'm not sure it's possible. But try ATITool, Radlinker, or Powerstrip. Good way to test to see if it's doing anything is with 3dmark2001's Fillrate tests.

:D Thanks Swaaye, I will try that with the ATI 4.11.

I was on Dantooine over the weekend and noticed a few lags in the open areas, but generally play was good.

I'm with you on the music and content. I think it HAS TO BE FINISHED (do you think they heard <_< ), but unfortunatly I'm such a die hard SW fan I can't stop myself playing.

I hope all you others who have probs with ATI are getting them worked out.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys i was wondering that I have a intel graphics card on a dell laptop all of the other things seem to qualify to run and it start but then crashes. Does anyone know if there is a possible way to get it working. I called Lucas Arts and they said that the game was not meant to be played with an intel graphics card. I went about seeing if i could get it changed but it is built into the mother board which will coast me 700 bucks for a new one. That will buy the processor of the desktop i want to build. If anyone has any hints i would appreciate them.

Just in case anyone's still wondering, I've got a laptop with a Radeon 345M in it :"> , and it does play KotOR II, but you need the patch for it to work, and it's extrememly slow in densely populated ares (eg. Onderon) and around gas effects but, that said, it works better, imo, than KotOR did (especially with some of the more recent driver releases).

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

I was able to get all my games to work perfectly with my laptop except KotOR 1 and KotOR 2 which has a great amount of slow down. I also get an error saying that I don't have OpenGL 1.4 or better on my comp even though I have it fully updated.

• 2 weeks later...
and have a nice laptop..

Obviously not... :) , although it's probably a great work laptop as mentioned.

Well before I had enough for my X800XL I tried playing on the Intel 915g IGP which didn't work (luckily my old laptop had a GeForce4 440 Go so I was able to at least play it till I got the new card). Although when I was reading ATI IGP vs Intel IGP, the ATI was slightly faster, and had the advantage of more compatability so I'm kinda suprised at this.

Good luck in getting it to work.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)