Sith lords

Palpatine was a Sith Lord, hence the title Darth Sidious.. but once he became Emperor he couldn't use such a title, nor did he need it. Controlling Anakin/Vader is another form of power, one that he used well.

As I said before, Palpatine was if you look at it from a different perspective, the most powerful overall. This is proven because he conquered the entire galaxy, just because he did it through manipulation, control, etc doesn't mean he isn't powerful. It is merely a different type of power. Also don't doubt his force abilities and power until you see ROTS, because right now all we have to rely on (with physical power) is the end of ROTJ.

It's stated quite explicitly in KOTOR that the ancient masters of the Force were far more powerful than those today, and that there's a continuing decline in understanding of the Force as ancient techniques are lost and the Jedi aren't exactly in the habit of innovation, and the Sith keep collapsing and having to start over again.

Based on this, I'd say that the most powerful Sith Lord ever would have been a member of the first generation of Sith Lords, those that originally split away from the Jedi Order so many years ago.

Palpatine.

Nihlus is a tool, as is Scion. The way of the Sith is not brute strength, it is manipulation and timing. Maul and Anakin are good examples of very strong Sith who never attain any true power to speak of, they are tools. Palpatine blinds the entire Jedi order, he transforms a galactic republic into an empire under his command.

Nihlus would have killed and killed until there was nothing left, or until the force created something that could beat him. Most Sith would have sided with the Confederation and been crushed. Palpatine was the only one smart enough to side with the people he wanted to conquer. While many other sith have been strong, only Palpatine has achieved that true and ultimate power.

It's stated quite explicitly in KOTOR that the ancient masters of the Force were far more powerful than those today, and that there's a continuing decline in understanding of the Force as ancient techniques are lost and the Jedi aren't exactly in the habit of innovation, and the Sith keep collapsing and having to start over again.

Based on this, I'd say that the most powerful Sith Lord ever would have been a member of the first generation of Sith Lords, those that originally split away from the Jedi Order so many years ago.

I doubt the ancient Force users were more powerful in the Force than Anakin or even Luke.

Anakin is supposed to be the one with the greatest Foce potential, and Luke is his son.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I thought the original question was on mastery of the Force itself, not on political acumen (which Palpatine quite significantly lacks. It doesn't take a brain to create an empire; this can be done brutishly, as Palpatine does. The real rub is in creating an Empire that lasts more than twenty-five years.

Based on mastery of the Force itself, and on raw power, ancient Sith Lords are, it seems, usually presented as being far more powerful (in terms of raw Force ability) than Sith of later era.

What would be interesting is how the "True Sith" uses their lightsaber, like Tulak Hord back in the day. Maybe with a new engine we might see what the fuzz is all about.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes if you listen to "blah blah blah" in Episode I and II Palpatine was a Sith, but there is one big problem- he is called there as Master and Maul was his student, I can't remember where Darth Sidious was called as Sith Lord. I think that this is bull**** with that if Palpatine was a Sith he would always be ready for betrayal of Vader, but he was suprised by him. I think that Vader whole time was waiting for good time to strike down Palpatine, cause he was real Sih Lord, Palpatine was pathetic looser not a Sith.

Luke or Vader more powerful than ancient Sith Lords/Jedi Masters? I don't think so, the only one who could be as powerfula as ancient masters was Yoda, no one more. Think about this- Darth Nihilus could destroy an entire planet by useing Dark Side, Vader or Luke could only dream about such power. I think that they were as powerful as mere Jedi in Old Republic in time of Mandalorian War.

Yes if you listen to "blah blah blah" in Episode I and II Palpatine was a Sith, but there is one big problem- he is called there as Master and Maul was his student, I can't remember where Darth Sidious was called as Sith Lord. I think that this is bull**** with that if Palpatine was a Sith he would always be ready for betrayal of Vader, but he was suprised by him. I think that Vader whole time was waiting for good time to strike down Palpatine, cause he was real Sih Lord, Palpatine was pathetic looser not a Sith.

Luke or Vader more powerful than ancient Sith Lords/Jedi Masters? I don't think so, the only one who could be as powerfula as ancient masters was Yoda, no one more. Think about this- Darth Nihilus could destroy an entire planet by useing Dark Side, Vader or Luke could only dream about such power. I think that they were as powerful as mere Jedi in Old Republic in time of Mandalorian War.

Yes but then again Vader wouldn't loose to Visas and Canderous

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom