Swoop racing, GRRRR!

So, after spending 40 minutes working to beat the first swoop race "best time", I finally turn the best time... and get told I need to complete the race. I figure it was a fluke, and work on it some more. After a while of being frustrated, I go and start poking around. What do I find?

In the XBOX version, you can win every swoop race by forfeiting.

In the PC version, you CANNOT win any swoop races- it's complely broken.

:) HOW ABOUT TESTING BASIC FUNCTIONS?

Thanks for wasting my time.

--Ikarius

Oh, and here's a kicker, I get a mysql error from the message boards when trying to post my topic. Apparently it's attempting to add an entry to some mail queue function, but it ends up giving an error. Three cheers for testing your code- be it your games, OR your forums..

I also had a problem with the Telos swoop racing (haven't tried any of the other planets yet). I forfeited one practice run, and the program apparently went into an inescapable logic error, where I am told I had a nasty spill, regardless of how I performed (finished, made best time, etc.).

I'm not one to complain about people I don't know, especially when I don't know the whole story, but somebody is getting an earful for either pushing the release date or foregoing extensive testing on this product.

Whoever was responsible for testing should have spent more time on it, or management should have allocated more development time for it, because this is going to come back and bite them in the @$$.

Iterative development, people! Iterative development! (if you're not a software developer yourself, you might not get this...)

I've only tried Telos swoop race so far (on PC), but it seems un-beatable... Boosters are very "glitchy" (don't always activate) and half the time you are told that you didn't finish race due to crash, when in reality you did. Very frustrating and could have being easily spotted by quality control team.

Having problems with Swoop-racing as well (so far on Telos, as I haven't gotten that far in the game yet - lots of bugs before I got it to work), but of a slightly different nature.

Every time I start a Swoop-race. my swoop suddenly starts to hover HIGH above the track. I read about being able to "jump", but I didn't. This hovering makes all the boosters unusable (oh, and the mines won't hit me either), but the times are unbeatable in this state.

One time I actually got the swoop to go along the ground, but I was so surprised by this that I emmediately crashed. :-

Anyone else have these issues? Known problem?

/Fredrik

Does anyone know if you can win on any of the other planets? After Telos, I didn't even bother racing on the others.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

My only trouble with swoop racing is the horrible control scheme.

I played KotOR 1 using the keyboard exclusively. Space to shift and arrows to maneuver.

Now, not only am I stuck using the mouse to maneuver and shift, but there is NO option to remap the keys for racing.

Give me space for shifting and ALT for jumps and I'll fly the Alps in a plane with no windows.

And this puts a major crimp in my monetary situation. I've hovered around 2000 credit the entire game.

Ran into interesting quest script bug....

Lets say I come in second or third in a race. Since I am a champion, I don't have to pay entry fee of 100 credits for next race. Well, not so fast.... Unless I talk to Race Master and ask him what course records are, I'll be asked for 100 credits as entry fee again. So only way to avoid this bug, is to keep asking about course records before each race. :angry: :geek: :'(

P.S. I sure would love to have a sweet talk with that high school intern programmer who worked on "swoop racing" portion of the code.

[snip]

Every time I start a Swoop-race. my swoop suddenly starts to hover HIGH above the track. I read about being able to "jump", but I didn't. This hovering makes all the boosters unusable (oh, and the mines won't hit me either), but the times are unbeatable in this state.

One time I actually got the swoop to go along the ground, but I was so surprised by this that I emmediately crashed.  :lol:

Anyone else have these issues? Known problem?

/Fredrik

#1 - So far Telos is the only planet I've visited, but same issue here. Swoop racing worked fine the first time only, and every other swwop race after that had my swoop hovering up high right below the roof, unable to hit boosters, mines or walls. Fazing.

#2 - I tried to press the right button during initial coutndown, and bug #1 never occurred again. Tho, it seems I can't win a race. Even if my time is best one, I am always being told 'what a nasty spill and bla bla bla... you have to finish the race bla bla bla'. More fazing.

edit - Just a thought: what really drives me mad is that swoop racing worked just fine in K1, and I wonder how can programmers regress from already achieved results (and the more, since the game engine hasn't changed!). Sorry for this little rant.