General Discussion About The Game

The big thing is I am unsure if I am supposed to act like I am Revan in this game or not.  Do I know what happened?  Nothing indicates I should know.  Many of the dialogue choices I see I find myself wondering if my character knows the information given as choices.

To touch on the "last Jedi" bit again...  Apparently, I have not been with the order for about 10 years.  I have been stripped by the council of my force connection.  I think it is Kreia (or possibly one of the NPCs on Telos) that talks about so many Jedi leaving the order after Malak and Revan wreak their havok.  I definitely am not the last Jedi in the order, having been kicked out years ago.  Am I to believe that no other Jedi in the galaxy exists, in or out of the order?  No.  Because my mentor is a Jedi.

As I said in the first post, I am just beginning.  There is much to the game I have yet to experience.  I just hope things start falling into place and I begin to feel I have a direction soon.  A reason for being.

PS: And what was with that losing the hand thing?

You are not a jedi.

Kreia is not a jedi.

To be a jedi you must be a member of the jedi order.

As far as knowing what happened-largely you (the gamer) are writing your PCs backstory as you choose dialog options. Instances of this occuring are in the Atton conversation, the long conversation with Atris, and the flashback. You are deciding what kind of life your jedi has lived and what he thinks of his exile.

P.S. What's with that 'what was with that hand losing thing' question?

Atton doesn't know ****.  There is no definite Revan.  Atton makes those flippy comments cause he doesn't know.  But you do.  Obsidian reconstructs Revan based on your answers.  They do it in a fashion so you might not recognize it.  When Atton asks you about Revan, the game is going to record your answer.  If you tell Atton he is right, then the game is going to remember that Revan was a DS Female.  If you tell him he's wrong, and that Revan was a LS Male, or LS Female, then the game is going to remember that your Revan was just that and the game is going to progress from there.  Just because Atton says one thing, doesn't mean that's the end all be all definition of Revan.

Thanks, Bulgaroctonus. That explains quite a bit :)

Back to my thoughts:

I have only made it into the first Czerka compound on Telos. I am uninstalling the game.

Since meeting Bao Dur, He has demanded to have a conversation in the most inopportune times twice. I used him to "stealth" to the 4 mines before the Twi'lek droid master and lo and behold, she decides she can see Bao and speak as if *I* am there. Everybody blows up. I get to the Mercs next up and Bao Dur just WILL NOT stay put. He dies in the first battle. I rez him with Kreia and off he goes, to the next merc. I try to click on him as the lead character and run him back to the group. Too bad, so sad. He is dead yet again.

AI: I have tried all three character AI (aggressive, ranged, and jedi support). I have tried making me aggeressive, Kreia jedi support, and Bao ranged. I did not get very far. I ran into the mass of mercenaries on Telos (5 mercenaries with 2-3 critters) and Kreia and Bao were both ranged. Contrary to what the ranged description says, they did NOT switch to their melee weapons when in melee.

Battles are NOT supposed to be execute one round, pause, set up for round 2, execute, pause, set up for round 3, execute, pause, ad nauseum. One can try to set up 4 rounds at a time, but MANY times, what I had set up was lost when I went to the next NPC. Sure would be nice to have AI's that actually DID something.

This is the second time I have exited the game in disgust since my last post on 2/14. For me, this game is unplayable. I take that back. The game IS playable. It is just not enjoyable for me. I applaud those of you who have finished the game. You are all better than I am.

I am NOT going to fight tooth and nail with a game's mechanics which I wish to "have fun" playing. For my first experience with Obsidian, I cannot say they strike me as a "good game company", much less a great one. SW:KotOR 2 may have a great storyline. I'll never know. What I do know is that I spend 75% of my playing time fighting with the game mechanics, which amounts to reloading often due to no fault of my own stupidity, which is usaully the case for me playing games. Oh well...

Uh yeah.. battles too hard WTH?? The game mechanics work pretty well the same as KOTOR 1 with the exception that some of the character pathing is not quite as good - they get stuck around corners, etc. But they also made them mysteriously reappear next to you if they fall too far behind, so its not that big a deal.

As far as the last Jedi thing is concerned - PLAY THE FRICKIN' GAME! You're the last Jedi that anyone knows about - the Sith are after you because they believe you are the last Jedi. No one ever said you actually ARE the last Jedi. And as someone else says, Kreia is not a Jedi - she is a force user - her CLASS is Jedi Consular because that is her set of skills.

Its like how Handmaiden starts off as a Soldier? Well.. soldier for whom? She's not a Soldier, she's a handmaiden, but her skillset is that of a Soldier. In KOTOR 1 Jolee was also a Jedi Consular Class, but he clearly was not a member of the Jedi order anymore. Canderous in KOTOR 1 was also listed as "Soldier" though he was actually a mercenary, etc, etc.

And no.. it does not continue with the "Get Ebon Hawk" - "Lose Ebon Hawk" routine.. that is only the first little.. once you get past the "Taris" section of KOTOR 2 (i.e. Peragus and Telos) it is more open ended like the first game.

You will also notice as you progress through the game that after you answer Atton about Revan's past the entire setup of the backstory changes, which other characters will relay to you and even certain characters appear or do not appear in certain places because of this.

So quit complaining and play the damn game - geesh! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bulgaroctonus.  That explains quite a bit :)

Back to my thoughts:

I have only made it into the first Czerka compound on Telos.  I am uninstalling the game. 

Since meeting Bao Dur, He has demanded to have a conversation in the most inopportune times twice.  I used him to "stealth" to the 4 mines before the Twi'lek droid master and lo and behold, she decides she can see Bao and speak as if *I* am there.  Everybody blows up.  I get to the Mercs next up and Bao Dur just WILL NOT stay put.  He dies in the first battle.  I rez him with Kreia and off he goes, to the next merc.  I try to click on him as the lead character and run him back to the group.  Too bad, so sad.  He is dead yet again.

AI: I have tried all three character AI (aggressive, ranged, and jedi support).  I have tried making me aggeressive, Kreia jedi support, and Bao ranged.  I did not get very far.  I ran into the mass of mercenaries on Telos (5 mercenaries with 2-3 critters) and Kreia and Bao were both ranged.  Contrary to what the ranged description says, they did NOT switch to their melee weapons when in melee. 

Battles are NOT supposed to be execute one round, pause, set up for round 2, execute, pause, set up for round 3, execute, pause, ad nauseum.  One can try to set up 4 rounds at a time, but MANY times, what I had set up was lost when I went to the next NPC.  Sure would be nice to have AI's that actually DID something.

This is the second time I have exited the game in disgust since my last post on 2/14.  For me, this game is unplayable.  I take that back.  The game IS playable.  It is just not enjoyable for me.  I applaud those of you who have finished the game.  You are all better than I am.

I am NOT going to fight tooth and nail with a game's mechanics which I wish to "have fun" playing.  For my first experience with Obsidian, I cannot say they strike me as a "good game company", much less a great one.  SW:KotOR 2 may have a great storyline.  I'll never know.  What I do know is that I spend 75% of my playing time fighting with the game mechanics, which amounts to reloading often due to no fault of my own stupidity, which is usaully the case for me playing games.  Oh well...

I can't say that I found any of the battles overly challenging, even playing in hard mode. On the other hand, I will say that there are some VERY annoying interface issues. My biggest complaint is the inability of your characters to retain their given orders. You can set up a nice string of orders, but as soon as the currently targeted enemy is dead, those orders vanish into the great bit bin in the sky. Instead of stringing together a bunch of power attacks, you have to constantly mash the power attack button, since most enemies die with one or two hits anyway. I suppose this wouldn't be so bad if you had a game controller and are constantly mashing buttons anyway, but on a keyboard/mouse it gets old real fast.

Between that, the broken/incomplete quests, lame combat animations, and generally uninteresting (mainly because it isn't sufficiently fleshed out) story, I also didn't have as much fun playing KOTOR2 as I did the first game.

<sigh> I wonder if I could use this as a tax write off... :o"

It works beautifully on the Xbox box. It's one of the most intuative control systems it's been my pleasure to use.

People had issues with the PC controls in the first game too. I'm not familiar with either version so I dont know what if any changes they made.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The AI for your companions is terrible. Don't rely on it. It would be nice if you could, but you can't. Pray for a patch, and yes I am well aware that the game should play correctly when it comes out of the box blahblahblah.

Solo the game. >=) On hard. Without Lightsabers. This hides the ally AI problem (you're alone) and the difficulty problem (Or at least makes it a bit tougher).