Combat System in KOTOR 1/2

mEtaLL1x

NeverwinterKnight,  alright, perhaps it was foolish of me to use word "fear" there.. anyway, what I mean is that in RPG combat is not the most important thing, it's optional. Atmosphere, dialogs, characters, story - that's what's really matters in RPG.

combat is optional? name one rpg where you can avoid combat 100% throughout the game.

especially using kotor, since thats what your original post is about. it is IMPOSSIBLE to play kotor (or kotor2) without entering combat. so therefore the combat is not "optional" at all, and thus how combat functions is very much important.

I'm not saying it can be avoided all the time. It's just that it's not that IMPORTANT as story, for instance.

Say, could you stand an RPG with TOTALLY MESSED UP story, but just geniously made combat. Would you go for it?

Anyway, I'm just saying that I would like to see something as Oblivion will offer in StarWars RPGs.... that's just me, tastes differ.

Then, let's break this arguement.

IF someone else has a different view on Star Wars RPG combat system, you're welcome.

ANyways, I would like to see a SW RPG with combat system as a hybrid of JK:A and future Oblvion and Gothic3 concepts.

then suggest that they make a brand new game set in the star wars universe instead of suggesting that kotors current system gets a major overhaul.

Damn you're narrowminded......

I REPEAT: in RPG I value story/dialogs/atmosphere ABOVE ALL ELSE, so I have *NO* bias towards either TB or Action-based combat.... But in case of SW I just wanted to experience more action-based.

Just my friggin' whim, alright?

What's wrong with that?

troll.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have thought about it and the biggest reason I dont like action based RPGs is because that invariably means they will not be party based. I cant even think of a non-action based RPG that is not party based, and every time they add action elements it becomes just you. Like the transition from Ultima VII to Ultima VIII (sorry for the old school reference).

Its not the only reason I prefer character based rather than player based combat but that is one of the biggies. How exactly would you make an action RPG party based without it becoming Multi-player? :blink:

How exactly would you make an action RPG party based without it becoming Multi-player?

Only with REALLY good AI. And that's FREAKING hard. With TB it's easier.

Despite the fact that in some actions bots are pretty good (like in Q3 or Unreal), but still it's RPG, not a pure FPS, so it's much more complicated.

Especially with light-sabers, where the computer, in the heart of battle, might accidentally hit you with lightsaber, while making some uber-combo. ^_^

But hey, that's even fun! ^_^ Always remember how in FO2 Marcus used to love riddling me with bullets, if I were in between him and his opponent.

So, anyway, AI is crap everywhere, not only in action-based. There ain't no AI, anyway. It's actually the "Artificial Idiot".

His suggestion doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. Rather System Shock 2-ish as far as the skill system goes, and I enjoyed System Shock 2.

There are RPGs that do this sort of thing (the upcoming Jade Empire being the best example that comes to mind), but they are not the norm. Personally, I'm happy with either combat system so long as it is done well, but I find the combat in most RPGs these days to be overly simplistic.

Anyone who lauds themselves for "Using their brains rather than button-mashing" in a game like KOTOR is kidding themselves, IMHO. Obviously you aren't button-mashing, but the combat is also simplistic to the point where you aren't really doing much else either. KOTOR combat is not very tactical, not because you do not directly control the character but because you simply don't have that many options. It doesn't take any particular brainpower to build or use a character in KOTOR. Likewise, skill in an FPS-style game is not simply 'button-mashing', though it does rely heavily on reflexes and tactics are often secondary. Button-mashing implies random pressing of buttons, while reflex-based combat implies an ability to press a sequence of buttons quickly. If you try to press random buttons in an FPS then you will die - this holds true pretty much throughout the genre.

Given the choice, my priorities would be something like this:

1. Tactical Chess-style combat - like certain RTS games, that rely on player thinking and planning rather than pure reflexes.

2. A hybrid system like the one the OP describes. Jade Empire or System Shock are good example.

3. A pure reflex-based game, like Jedi Academy.

4. The simplistic combat of KOTOR - not complex enough to require any real thought, and not requiring much skill on the player's part.

Feel free to steal this sig.

Yep, I agree, Squidget.

Plus, the magic system: The Force is, by itself, much simpler than DnD magic, so it fits real good into action-based combat, like in Academy. Action gives you the feel of the Force, more presense.. you know.

I liked it much better than in KOTOR.

But of course, if there was a more complexed magic like in DnD, then action-based would not have been appropriate.