A whole new respect for devs

Don't get me wrong, I still think you're a misguided conspiracy theorist... and a doofus... but do you have a link to any of your artwork? B)

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Im just starting the actual getting it to move process ;) I'll link it when I'm done as well.

aaaaasofar.JPG

Thats what I have so far^^^ Hours of work to create from scratch.. Also learning this program tho... Theres like a million different things in this prog. lol.

I did the same with photoshop a while ago, just picked it up and mess around... Made this stuff:

ARThumandisplaysig.gif

EVOcompilation.jpg

photoshop is a walk in the park compared to 3d max... These took minutes, 3d max yin yang took hours. lol. And Im not even done yet.

Ambrosia3.gif

Even the most simple games are usually 10 times more complex than the average player would actually realise.

That's why i try to see the good in even really BAD games.

By contrast, I remain willfully ignorant so I can point and laugh.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Even the most simple games are usually 10 times more complex than the average player would actually realise.

That's why i try to see the good in even really BAD games.

By contrast, I remain willfully ignorant so I can point and laugh.

That doesn't surprise me... I've been making and attempting to make small games since I was about 7 years old. I've never really had the chance to remain ignorant.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

It does really surprise me what developers are able to do, and what they have to do, to make games. There's a lot of tired, tedious, redundant work involved, and it's definately not all fun and games.

Of course, programmers are a strange bunch and find fun in things that would send me to an asylum.

newlogo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, even to create something as simple as a calculation program takes a mass of code that could take up many hours of developing, depending on how far you go into fleshing out the program.

So when someone actually makes a game, you can expect that they are usually typing out pages of code just for the most basic functions.

When I was younger I once made a simple space shooter that took around 30 pages of code.

Yes, even to create something as simple as a calculation program takes a mass of code that could take up many hours of developing, depending on how far you go into fleshing out the program.

So when someone actually makes a game, you can expect that they are usually typing out pages of code just for the most basic functions.

When I was younger I once made a simple space shooter that took around 30 pages of code.

Huh I wrote a calculator from scratch in ASM in around 2 hours. It was my first ASM program.

Depends on how well you plan it. That was my first shot, I could do it in about 20mins now, if that.

It always depends upon what you're writing a simple space shooter can be done in a language such as BASIC very quickly, where in ASM it's gunna take you a long time.

The main thing I've learnt about Programming is that it's all about planning. Plan badly and it's gunna take longer than it should.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Well yes, you can write a decent calculation program with Assembly in no time. But I wouldn't suggest that if you want to run the program on various machines.

And when I talk about space shooters I don't mean space invaders. Which has a rather simple set of functions and so forth. I was refering to something with more complex workings such as astroids orbiting along randomly generated paths and enemy ships controlled by a rough yet effective AI.

Planning indeed effects every project you start. But not every outcome can be planned. And many times you need to write lengthy workarounds to bypass nasty bugs you were unable to forsee.

Well yes, you can write a decent calculation program with Assembly in no time. But I wouldn't suggest that if you want to run the program on various machines.

And when I talk about space shooters I don't mean space invaders. Which has a rather simple set of functions and so forth. I was refering to something with more complex workings such as astroids orbiting along randomly generated paths and enemy ships controlled by a rough yet effective AI.

Planning indeed effects every project you start. But not every outcome can be planned. And many times you need to write lengthy workarounds to bypass nasty bugs you were unable to forsee.

Well my little program worked well on alot of systems.

As for the game well that makes sense now, and what you're getting at is much clearer than before. You spoke of a simple space shooter, and I assumed you meant the likes of space invaders. Asteroids is a whole other kettle of fish, I fancy making a decent paratrooper clone.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

The most impressive piece of game code I've ever seen was back in the early eighties, when magazines like Your Computer would have program listings for the readers to type in on their home computers. This particular one was a chess game that would run on an un-expanded ZX-81, that is 1024 bytes. No gfx, just simple coordinates in- and outout. You needed an expansion to actually enter the program, but once the typing was done, it would run on 1 kilobyte :)

Sometimes you wonder how people come up with ideas like that...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The most impressive piece of game code I've ever seen was back in the early eighties, when magazines like Your Computer would have program listings for the readers to type in on their home computers. This particular one was a chess game that would run on an un-expanded ZX-81, that is 1024 bytes. No gfx, just simple coordinates in- and outout. You needed an expansion to actually enter the program, but once the typing was done, it would run on 1 kilobyte  :)

Sometimes you wonder how people come up with ideas like that...

Heh the 1 kilobyte challenge.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

They once had a contest in a swedish computer magazine in the eighties (Datormagazinet) where you were supposed to write the game Centipede/Snake (a small, constantly moving worm that eats apples and becomes longer and longer for every fruit he eats, and the game ends if he hits a wall or his own body) for the Commodore 64. The shortest entry would be the winner.

The guy who won the contest wrote that game in like 3-5 lines of Basic code! I wish I could find that piece of code because it's still the most impressive piece of programming I've ever seen. You just typed it in (took perhaps 2 minutes) and you had a fully functioning game, with a score and everything. Amazing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They once had a contest in a swedish computer magazine in the eighties (Datormagazinet) where you were supposed to write the game Centipede/Snake (a small, constantly moving worm that eats apples and becomes longer and longer for every fruit he eats, and the game ends if he hits a wall or his own body) for the Commodore 64. The shortest entry would be the winner.

The guy who won the contest wrote that game in like 3-5 lines of Basic code! I wish I could find that piece of code because it's still the most impressive piece of programming I've ever seen. You just typed it in (took perhaps 2 minutes) and you had a fully functioning game, with a score and everything. Amazing.

Wow! :mellow:

Wasn't there a challenge to create a webpage with a limit of 5kb or something?

This one guy created a japascript of around 5 levels of wolfenstein. There was no color and the graphics were sketchy. But it was 100% javascript and fully 3d.

Quite impressive.

Just started messin around in 3d max, an animation program....  ridiculously hard.  Tedious work. lol.. Took me hours to make a simple yin yang.

Amazes me what some people pull off. lol.

You think Max is hard try learning Lightwave ....it was designed by an alien ;)

Hehe, I've never used it but I'd be correct in saying Lightwaves been around for years upon years... Right? More than 10 years I should think, from what I recall.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Makes ya wonder why some companies have a hard time releasing a decent FPS in 2 full CD's...

To be fair, the textures were simple, the AI was simple, and the effects of the game were not exceptional.

If you look at the game for just the game......then it's quite poor. But the view of the game is much more impressive when you realize it's only 98k big.

A retail game has much more scripting, graphics, and sheer scope (among other things) that are gonna greatly increase the size.

Although I'm sure there some inherent "waste" when being made by a large team of developers like a retail product.

Maya is fairly complicated as well. There are about 10 ways to do the same thing, so it's hard for someone to try and explain how to do something, when you could sit back, look at it a bit, and say "Well, how come you don't just do it this way instead?"

Maya is fairly complicated as well. There are about 10 ways to do the same thing, so it's hard for someone to try and explain how to do something, when you could sit back, look at it a bit, and say "Well, how come you don't just do it this way instead?"

That must have something to do with making the tool more accessable to minds that work differently, different logical flows.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg