i wonder what the dark green saber color is gonna?

dude, energy weighs nothing, litterally all it is is ions and stuff. Maybe there is a black lightsaber with a red hue, with and extremely dark red core, cuz the red ones are artificial crystals-at least they are supposed to be

Hmmm... off topic, but technically, energy does have mass. That's according to Einstein anyway :)"

Well i think that energy is light. Or so the definition of light seems to explain

Light is (can be) energy. Energy is NOT however light.

If you want to get into the nitty gritty of light, it can be considered be consiting of waves or particles, depending on the situation. It can be defined as energy (i think). But like heat is a form of energy, energy is not always heat, etc

if you take into account the conservation of energy principle, ie, that energy cannot be created or destroyed, you could say like for the lightsaber example:

Blade is made of pure energy. As it is continually drawing power (otherwise it would last forever without a recharge) it must also be losing energy. The energy lost in this way is probably in the form of heat and light and sound.

Oh and the reason the electromagnerically generate arc wave blade of pure energy is almost scientifically sound is coz i got it from the Star Wars Visual Dictionary, with ic a compilation from the LucasFilm Archives

A number of scientific points: light is made of photons whose motion is defined by a wave-function. It has no rest mass, but it moves at the speed of light, so it has a relativistic kinetic energy related to its wavelength and speed. But a photon cannot be described as "energy" in the most technical sense. Heat is made up of the vibration and collision of many particles. The faster they move the more kinetic energy they have, and in large ensembles of particles, we call this "thermal energy" or heat.

No onto science fiction points: the lightsaber has a power supply but it only actually drains power when it strikes something, which is why lightsabers can last so long without running out of power. It is not continually draining power.

Also, according to physics, energy DOES have mass in sense. The faster something moves, i.e. the more kinetic energy it has relative to other things, the more mass it appears to have. Weird eh?

In any case, "pure energy" is a purely unscientific term, and is used here to workaround the fact that no one could get light to do what lightsabers do.

Point is, since the science is so inconsequential for star wars, in my opinion star wars should almost certainly be thought of as fantasy, not science fiction, and discussions such as this one don't have much of a point.

Point is, since the science is so inconsequential for star wars, in my opinion star wars should almost certainly be thought of as fantasy, not science fiction, and discussions such as this one don't have much of a point.

Not to mention the fact that each time the Ebon Hawk travels between stellar systems, it would take thousands of years even AT the speed of light (which is impossible for any object with rest mass according to SR). A galaxy is a big place -- ours is about 100,000 light years across. Also take into account that the passengers on the Ebon Hawk would outlive the Republic merely by traveling at near light speed since the relativistic time dilational effects would distort the sequence of events, and the galaxy would age hundreds of thousands of years while the Ebon Hawk crew only aged a few days. (w00t)

Who knows, though, ever heard of quantum entanglement? Perhaps therein lies the answer to true FTL travel without breaking the laws of SR and avoiding time dilation. QE is being used now to work on quantum computing techniques and may actually, if nothing else, provide a way for instantaneous communication throughout the universe.

Perhaps a 'black lightsabre' is an artifact of the dark side? I dunno.. Saying 'It's black because it's evil' makes more sense than trying to make black energy work with modern, real-life physics. Maybe the blade eats light? Maybe the lightsabre is a manifestation of the dark side of the force?

Not to mention the fact that each time the Ebon Hawk travels between stellar systems, it would take thousands of years even AT the speed of light (which is impossible for any object with rest mass according to SR). A galaxy is a big place -- ours is about 100,000 light years across. Also take into account that the passengers on the Ebon Hawk would outlive the Republic merely by traveling at near light speed since the relativistic time dilational effects would distort the sequence of events, and the galaxy would age hundreds of thousands of years while the Ebon Hawk crew only aged a few days. (w00t)

Who knows, though, ever heard of quantum entanglement? Perhaps therein lies the answer to true FTL travel without breaking the laws of SR and avoiding time dilation. QE is being used now to work on quantum computing techniques and may actually, if nothing else, provide a way for instantaneous communication throughout the universe.

I always figured that with hyperspace (and ST's warp speed) ws a result of bending space. If you imagine space as a blanket, if you crumple it up, the distance between the ends is less, and would take less time. But then again, i am no physicist or even a scientist.

The point we are trying to make, is that even though a lightsaber is at least almost scientifically explainable, a black lightsaber is almost definetly NOT

Entanglement wouldn't do it. It could be used for transporter type stuff, maybe, (big big maybe), but you'd have to actually send the entangled things apart first, so it would take your thousands of years before you could travel instantly anyway.

Could it be a blacklight-saber that makes your white robes glow a funky purple colour?

So why would the light emitted need to be visible? Why not ultraviolet or infrared? Ultraviolet would actually be a good reason it would be considered a "black" lightsaber, with just maybe a hint of a visible purple glow around it for aesthetic purposes.

Me tooo. :(

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Could it be a blacklight-saber that makes your white robes glow a funky purple colour?

So why would the light emitted need to be visible? Why not ultraviolet or infrared? Ultraviolet would actually be a good reason it would be considered a "black" lightsaber, with just maybe a hint of a visible purple glow around it for aesthetic purposes.

As i have said, if the blade emits no light, or non visible light, the blade will not be black it will be invisible. As in Blade is there but you cannot see it. As in No colour at all. The only way for anything to appear black is if it absorbs light rather than emit it.

If you have Uv light eith a smigeon of purple, you would get a semitranslucent purple blade.