Knights of the New Republic

Assuming how big is EU material about New Republic that should be studied before making such game, better if this idea will never be realized.

I mean, material about star wars ancient era is very small (7 comics + 1 RPG sourcebook) and yet Avellone & Co managed somehow to screw it completely and made a game that is a mix of Old Trilogy and Neverwinter Nights and has very little common with already established setting (only mention look of Korriban). I don't know how possibly someone, even complete non-starwars amateur, couldn't learn these few things that comics contain and instead trash KOTOR with cheap movie references.

Now imagine a new republic setting that is hundred times bigger and contains

dozens of individuals, plots, political machinations, and already has main characters (like Luke or Mara) that are extremely well developed and their life stories go well into dozens of novels and comic books. There are millions fans of New Republic Era (like those of xwing series, NJO and others) and they will be really mad in case of Bioware's another concole-crappy RPG that will twist entire setting and its reality. Only real fans could develop KOTNR's storyline properly

becouse only they know this era of star wars well. I doubt that Avellone or Gallo have ever bothered themselves to read all xwing series (both comics and novels)

or NJO or even thrawn trilogy that have hundreds of worlds and characters. In case of such (certainly) EU incorrect game Obsidian and LA would be ruined, cause believe me bioware/obsidian you can piss on TOTJ fans but you really wouldn't want to piss millions of xwing and Zahn fans (imagine Darth Nuke multiplied by several thousands like him). While TOTJ is almost forgotten New Republic is very alive, discussed on star wars forums by thousands of fans and well guarded by Sue Rostoni and professional writers like Troy Denning or Aaron Allston.

If Avellone and his gang were so incredibly lazy that they couldn't study few thin comics when developing KOTOR, they would never read all those thick novels about NR Era. Sorry but these guys just don't feel Star Wars.

KOTNR could be good game only with Rostoni herself as project overseer and with

Denning/Allston/Zahn/Stackpole as senior writer. It should be multi-dimensional project with LA/Obsidian as engine-graphic-music developer and Lucasbooks responsible for script and millions of EU subtleties.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I'd personally welcome such a game. I think the KOTOR series has run its course after TSL is released. There's not much more, atleast during the whole Mandalore wars/Revan vs. Malak era to do stories about.

What I'd actually be interested in seeing is a game set in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. A RPG set during the birth of the Rebellion, where we (the PC) would be one of the brave young individuals who first opposed Palpatine and his Empire.

I don't think it'd make much sense to have Vader or Palpatine show up (or any of the movie heroes), but rather just make up fictitious heroes and villains that are part of the conflict during this time period.

It would also make those people happy that don't want to play as a Jedi, since the Jedi would be all but extinct by then (assuming the game was set after the Jedi Purge).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Nobody can be Waaaay to obsessed with star wars? But some people can lose sight of the fact that its only there to have fun with, and not to complain about.

The KOTOR series has not run its course. It could go on, Star Wars tends to run in trilogies as it is. As for the era itself, there are a few books getting ready to come out in the KOTOR timeline which is agreeable to me, as I like that age of the Star Wars saga, even if those of you who despise EU don't seam to realize that this game itself is EU material, and is no less EU than comics, Books, or... oh yeah, every Star Wars game based on anything other than the movies ;)

-There is no Light or Dark. There is only Power, and those to weak to seek it!

-Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-I find no joy in taking the life of someone that finds no value in it.

-If you only get out of life what you put into it,why not just keep it all to begin with and save a whole lot of waisted time and effort?

some people here are waaaaaay to obessed with star wars...

Some people are suckers who don't really know what they're doing on this star wars-related board...

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

"material about star wars ancient era is very small (7 comics + 1 RPG sourcebook) and yet Avellone & Co managed somehow to screw it completely and made a game that is a mix of Old Trilogy and Neverwinter Nights and has very little common with already established setting"

How can Avellone be blamed for the mistakes of the BioWarians?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

I doubt that he is better educated than them. I remember how he was talking about existence of the Sith Empire in Revan's times although Sith Empire was destroyed 1000 years earlier.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

The KOTOR series has not run its course.  It could go on, Star Wars tends to run in trilogies as it is.

I meant the story revolving around the Revan/Malak war, and the Mandalore wars. I just don't see much else they can do with this specific story arc after TSL is released.

Maybe if they moved it another 2000 years forward, but not if it's just another "5 years later, after Darth Sion was killed..." type thing.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You will try to use reason, but to no avail, there fate is sealed

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The KOTOR series has not run its course.  It could go on, Star Wars tends to run in trilogies as it is.

I meant the story revolving around the Revan/Malak war, and the Mandalore wars. I just don't see much else they can do with this specific story arc after TSL is released.

Maybe if they moved it another 2000 years forward, but not if it's just another "5 years later, after Darth Sion was killed..." type thing.

You can't really be sure of that untill we see how this one ends. Who's to say we actually kill all the Sith Lords this round huh? Maybe it'll pull a Baldurs Gate 2 and allow you to import your old character with all his/her abilities stil activated! I loved BG2 for this reason.

-Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-If you only get out of life what you put into it,why not just keep it all to begin with and save a whole lot of waisted time and effort?

Doesn't it seem pretty crappy that the EU is so lame that people who love it don't want to see a game made in its time period?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I like this games time period? I love the EU, and I don't seam to understand how someone who is so eagerly anticipating the release of an EU game can abhor the EU as much as you seam to.

Anyway.

You can't really be sure of that untill we see how this one ends.  Who's to say we actually kill all the Sith Lords this round huh?  Maybe it'll pull a Baldurs Gate 2 and allow you to import your old character with all his/her abilities stil activated!  I loved BG2 for this reason.

That'd make for a pretty bad third installment if we're allowed to bring along our level 30 Jedi Master. Who would we fight? Once you reach a certain level, there's not much you can throw at the person, unless the entire game has you fighting against dozens of Sith Lords with no "minor" enemies.

I just think the more games done surrounding the "Revan Saga", the more stale the ideas will become.

some people here are waaaaaay to obessed with star wars...

Some people are suckers who don't really know what they're doing on this star wars-related board...

I'm here to read about a game i'm looking forward to. Some people seem to be here just to show off there knowledge of star wars and seem to think we actually care!

The occassional EU related post is okay, but please don't bore us with some copy and pasted "history" of a fictional universe. Well "fictional" to people who actually have lives outside of George Lucas's arse...

Oh for the love of pete, Kevin J. Anderson, one of the best authors?

You know how they say you can't judge a book by its cover, well I'm looking at Dark Apprentice right now, and the cover suxs and the book suxs, so I guess that's not 100% true about the cover judging

I like this games time period?  I love the EU, and I don't seam to understand how someone who is so eagerly anticipating the release of an EU game can abhor the EU as much as you seam to.

Anyway.

Good shot Milady ;)

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Thank you.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal: You strike me as a hypocrite of the truest sense. You freely accuse others of being close-minded and hurl insults left and right when anybody can read of how close-minded you are and accuse others of insulting you. This is a pattern that I have noticed ever since I've seen your screen name popped up on this board. My advice -just loosen up a little bit. You know a lot about SW. That's fine. Don't accuse others of laziness and tell others to F themselves if they don't share your passion. Passion is a good thing, but it becomes trouble when it mutates into zealotry. Lots of the people here have a good sense of humor and trade barbs with each other in good fun. Do that.

I've read lots of the the Star Wars EU. From Anderson to Zahn and the TOTJ comics. Admittidly, I've stopped reading that stuff right around '98. I really liked Star Wars and the escapism that it represented for me. But I had to stop. Why? Cuz Most of it was just bad. I was hoping to find something that matched the quality of Zahn's original trilogy. I didn't. There are tons of other stuff escapist type books to enjoy that are not SW related.

TOTJ varied in quality from just plain awful -to promising, yet flawed (Redemption being the best of the bunch). I got my Star Wars fix and that was that for EU.

A KotNR would be a bad idea. Severely limits the creative storytelling possilbility if there are too many imposed guidelines as to not step on the shoes of other EU related material. BAD IDEA. Atleast for developers like Bioware and Obsidian.

And on the subject of this being a Star Wars board---it really isn't. It's a game developing company's board. A company who's main fan base are RPG players and not necessarily SW fanatics. There are plenty of SW fans in this community but a majority of the people come to this board as fans of the developers.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

^ what he said

Why you think that I'm a hypocrite? Only becouse I demand EU game to be correct with the rest of EU? Here we are discussing SW game and a lot of people

think that TSL should be only partially EU while I think that it should be another brick in EU building. The fact that you've became bored with EU doesn't mean that everyone became. EU today is much better than it was in 1998 BTW.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

And on the subject of this being a Star Wars board---it really isn't. It's a game developing company's board. A company who's main fan base are RPG players and not necessarily SW fanatics. There are plenty of SW fans in this community but a majority of the people come to this board as fans of the developers.

If that's in response to my post, I was talking about this specific board, titled "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords->General Discussion".

Any topic that isn't about KOTOR 2 or loosely related, such as some Star Wars EU discussion, is moved to off topic. So for all intents and purposes, this IS a Star Wars board.

Now as far as this topic and the fact that you think KOTNR would pose too many problems for developers in terms of not stepping on toes or not contradicting existing EU, I don't think that'd be the case as long as it is set in a far away distance that any discrepencies can be explained away due to "3000 years into the future..".