Non-Linear Stories

JJ86

What are the tools that writers use to fully map a non-linear story? Obviously several of the better RPGs like Fallout and Arcanum allow the user to create a different PC which drives the story along a different path. How is the multiple-path story written?

Use a piece of paper to graphically represent a tree. Each node represents a decision that will cause a branch in the story. Branches can eventually merge back together at a node. Branches can end at a leaf which is how the game accomplishes multiple endings.

You can have multiple beginning as well. The different beginning can all merge together into one node or proceed along different decision paths.

This is how I would conceive a non linear storyline before this is taken and implemented in a game. It's like a Choose Your Own Adventure book but there are no specific tools I think other than this conceptual tool.

In practice no game is truly that nonlinear in storyline. The amount of different branches leads to alot of work for little gain. Usually, you might see that you have a choice, such as saving Paul or not in Deus Ex, that later on in the game might affect some choice or event. Or the game might have multiple endings at the very end such as the three endings of Deus Ex.

And a tree isn't the best conceptual tool either as you might have some very similar branches end up that just simply started similarly or differently but it's the only method I can think of at the moment.

Most games like Fallout that are considered non linear are really a combination of linear paths added together.

In fact, most games would be best represented as a collection of trees. Each tree being the separate quest or side quest and it's different decision points.

EDIT: I noticed now that Crakkie also recommended the same thing. I don't really know how else you'd represent a nonlinear storyline other than by trees. And there are tools for doing as well... Hmm... :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

I'm really sorry this thread was derailed by people who wanted to complain about the question instead of providing an answer. I found the thread by searching for exactly what the original poster asked: what tools are helpful for laying out non-linear plots? Thus, I have to say the meaning of the question was perfectly clear to me.

I've looked at Storyspace and it has possibilities, but there's no documentation with the demo version and the buttons are far from intuitive. Instead of feeling like a natural tool, it spawns multiple versions of the window I'm trying to type in and performs other oddities. I think I've looked at every tool made for writers and none of them do what I want to do -- keep track of plots that fork frequently or flow from multiple hubs -- without either overkilling me with writing theory or forcing me into something too rigid to permit recursion.