Will KotOR2 Support New Video Driver Catalysts?

Will KotOR 2 support the newer video driver catalysts?

That would be more a matter for Lucasarts, but sure, why wouldn't they support it? It's the second largest graphic-card company afterall..

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Last I checked Obsidian is actually programming the game........

Indeed, but isn't Lucasarts responsible for tweaking, bugtesting and general support?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Jay, our graphics guy on KOTOR2, has been updating the game to make sure it works with the latest NVidia and ATI drivers from time to time. Before we release the PC version, I am pretty sure we will make sure that the game is working with the latest drivers from each of those cards.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

That is good to know, Bioware did a terrible job with KoTORs graphic compatibility.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That is good to know, Bioware did a terrible job with KoTORs graphic compatibility.

The problem with KOTOR on ATI cards has only existed since the release of the 4.3 catalysts. Before then there were no problems at all with ATI cards and KOTOR, so don't blame Bio - it's ATIs crappy drivers that have been at fault.

This is a consistent problem with ATI, in that their latest drivers sometimes "break" older games. For instance this year I was playing KOTOR, Thief 3 and BF:Vietnam all around the same time on my PC, but to get all to work properly I needed to have cat 4.2 for KOTOR, cat 4.4 for Thief 3 and cat 4.6 for BF:Vietnam.

Now I don't know about you but I don't have the time to be reverting to old drivers and back again every time I want to play a particular game. One reason I am considering going back to Nvidia again when I get my next card.

The problem with KOTOR on ATI cards has only existed since the release of the 4.3 catalysts. Before then there were no problems at all with ATI cards and KOTOR, so don't blame Bio - it's ATIs crappy drivers that have been at fault.

This is a consistent problem with ATI, in that their latest drivers sometimes "break" older games. For instance this year I was playing KOTOR, Thief 3 and BF:Vietnam all around the same time on my PC, but to get all to work properly I needed to have cat 4.2 for KOTOR, cat 4.4 for Thief 3 and cat 4.6 for BF:Vietnam.

Now I don't know about you but I don't have the time to be reverting to old drivers and back again every time I want to play a particular game. One reason I am considering going back to Nvidia again when I get my next card.

Actually before the 4.1 cats softshadows didnt work on ati cards (exept very slowly) This was a driver bug rather than biowares fault though. I agree that from the 4.3's softshadows and framebuffer effects have been getting slower, the 4.2's are the best for KOTOR. I cant comment on the 4.9's as I havnt tried them, yet.

Here's a good page from biowares forum that shows performance upto cat 4.5

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html...352372&forum=80

I still get area load crashes on all the cats I use on my 9800(inc 4.2), though I heard this was fixed on the 4.9's? (I havnt had any trouble with my 6800gt and it doesnt crash for me on area transitions)