LA press website

Yes, but you were using points about someone who shares my perspective (I think).

Also, it wasn't unforseen developments.  It was intentional.  Things were advertised as being simultaneous (a big selling point).  ONe prominant theory is that it's been pushed back (with influence from Gates) in order to promote x-box sales.

Paranoia isn't really a valid argument to state it's "intentional."

You seem insistant that they "intentionally lied" about release. Are you saying there's no way for a company to change plans during production for ANY reason?

There's alot of evidence indicating it was intentional. Such as the faact that the PC and x-box were around equal in development.

Shin, I was responding to kumquat's, "you've gone off the deep end". No biggie.

And it wasn't intentional. It would be butt-stupid to be intentional. It's almost a certainty that something came up and LA changed their gameplan; Republic Commando was pushed til february, from what I remember. Also, didn't they just have a bunch of lay-offs? Maybe they're trying to make a recovery here?

Right, it's a broken promise. Sometimes promises can't be kept, but we shouldn't be TOO optimistic; it's really dumb for them to do something like this and pretend that it's water under the bridge. By all accounts, it never has been when a publisher does something wierd like this...

Well, the delay isn't that bad...but what's bad is that they lied to us.

Is it really a lie if things change because of unexpected developments?

Reread Akaris post and tell me if you think thats really the case

Oh silly me, I forgot that Akari and the development team know the precise date & time when both versions of the game will be ready to be shipped. :rolleyes:

Expectations can always change. Even then, the PC version was going to be out in February anyway; if you're not going to play the X-Box version what does it really matter when that one will come out?

Well, the delay isn't that bad...but what's bad is that they lied to us.

Is it really a lie if things change because of unexpected developments?

Reread Akaris post and tell me if you think thats really the case

Oh silly me, I forgot that Akari and the development team know the precise date & time when both versions of the game will be ready to be shipped. :rolleyes:

Expectations can always change. Even then, the PC version was going to be out in February anyway; if you're not going to play the X-Box version what does it really matter when that one will come out?

Well, they told us it would be simultaneous...and Lucasarts knew full and well a while ago that PC would be later. Something I didn't really understand about codes.

Oh silly me, I forgot that Akari and the development team know the precise date & time when both versions of the game will be ready to be shipped. 

:rolleyes:

Yea, but see...they have to do this thing where they take an educated guess ...crazy I know.

If you are suggesting that Akari, in a very recent post (3 months from the games release), doesn't have a good idea where both versions are of a game he is working on....

There's alot of evidence indicating it was intentional.  Such as the faact that the PC and x-box were around equal in development.

That's not a fact; that was something you selectively interpereted from what was said.

The actual gameplay, story, etc. may be at the same point in development. But the code for the X-Box version is closer to being ready than the PC version. After all, console hardware doesn't change like PC hardware. Maybe Obsidian & LucasArts were just a little too optimistic. :rolleyes:

There's alot of evidence indicating it was intentional.  Such as the faact that the PC and x-box were around equal in development.

That's not a fact; that was something you selectively interpereted from what was said.

The actual gameplay, story, etc. may be at the same point in development. But the code for the X-Box version is closer to being ready than the PC version. After all, console hardware doesn't change like PC hardware. Maybe Obsidian & LucasArts were just a little too optimistic. :rolleyes:

Even if the delay wasn't intentional, they knew it would happen a while ago. Again, I'm just reiterating something I heard about codes.

Wait...nm I found a quotatinon

Oh, agreed. I do feel that LA should have been up front about the XBox being in a more advanced stage of development, and the reasons why, from the beginning.

From...how do you spell the name...Adria? A mod.

Another one...same person.

Very well said, Grandpa, but unfortunately, untrue.

The US Xbox version has been in development for months longer than either the PC version or the International versions, explained in a post by Akari in the other thread.

The K1 pc and international delays caused Obsidian to get the code months later than they were able to get the code for US Xbox. Development on K2 US Xbox began as soon as they got that code.

LA has known from the beginning that the US Xbox version was in a far more advanced stage of development, and yet still offered the "simultaneous release" marketing.

That, I believe, is what most people have issue with.

Akari:

One of the main reasons that the X-Box version is ahead of the PC version is that we were on the X-Box version for a few months before the PC version of KotOR1 even came out so that we could get the PC version code from Bioware. As a result, the X-Box version has always been a little further along, code-wise, than the PC version. That's one reason why the E3 Demo was on X-Box. Because the X-Box build was the only one presentable by then.

That's the quote.

LA has known from the beginning that the US Xbox version was in a far more advanced stage of development, and yet still offered the "simultaneous release" marketing.

Well maybe they miscalculated initially. Afterall, if they changed something about gameplay in the X-Box version that was going to be changed in the PC version anyway; perhaps they were hoping it would be a smoother transition than with the first game.

Akari:

One of the main reasons that the X-Box version is ahead of the PC version is that we were on the X-Box version for a few months before the PC version of KotOR1 even came out so that we could get the PC version code from Bioware. As a result, the X-Box version has always been a little further along, code-wise, than the PC version. That's one reason why the E3 Demo was on X-Box. Because the X-Box build was the only one presentable by then.

That's the quote.

Well maybe they miscalculated initially. Afterall, if they changed something about gameplay in the X-Box version that was going to be changed in the PC version anyway; perhaps they were hoping it would be a smoother transition than with the first game.

Firstly, I gave a different quotation.

Secondly, this says that LA lied to us also. A LA commercial advertised simultaneous release. I'm not exactly sure what happened here, but I know that all teh possiblities are negative. Either they lied, or they were idiots with an unbelievable level of incompotence.

And why exactly is a simultaneously release important? If you're only getting the PC version, why would you care about the X-Box version? :rolleyes:

Do you actually read what people post, or do you just stick to your "it's only 2 months, no big deal" rheteric?

It seems you intentionally ignore the reasons given and respond with "geeze people, it's only 2 months".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

nightclever and topaz,

this isn't meant sarcastically, so if it comes across as that I apologize beforehand, but do either of you have ANY background whatsoever in business or marketing?

the reason i ask is because i DO and what LucasArts did, while not illegal or anything to that degree, is, from a company standpoint, a HUGE mistake in terms of PR. if you believe it's not, then you can't be too familiar with big firms and businesses and how much something called "goodwill" means to them.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

And why exactly is a simultaneously release important? If you're only getting the PC version, why would you care about the X-Box version? :rolleyes:

Do you actually read what people post, or do you just stick to your "it's only 2 months, no big deal" rheteric?

It seems you intentionally ignore the reasons given and respond with "geeze people, it's only 2 months".

I do read it, and all I see are spoiled children crying because they won't have the PC version for Christmas and don't know what to do with themselves until the release date.

You're sidestepping my question: Why does it really matter that LucasArts "promised" simultaneous release? If you're only going to play the PC version WHY would even care when it's coming out on the X-Box?

What makes you think they're laughing at you?  Do I need to re-iterate everything I've already said?

Well, no. I'm just not sure that you have the positively right answer.

Ok. I'll go for correctness here.

Either they're laughing at us or their people can't remember the name of their company. Neither is the company I want associated with this potentially good game.

You're sidestepping my question: Why does it really matter that LucasArts "promised" simultaneous release? If you're only going to play the PC version WHY would even care when it's coming out on the X-Box?

Simple, because they performed unethical business practices. advertising one selling point and promising it as a way to hype up the release (and no doubt pre-orders for the game) and then completely dropping that selling point without so much as even an official reason.

Simple, because they performed unethical business practices. advertising one selling point and promising it as a way to hype up the release (and no doubt pre-orders for the game) and then completely dropping that selling point without so much as even an official reason.

Typical Lucas strat (now this is definately defensible). Do something to make money, not caring if it's right or if it's a breach of trust. Very very mercenary company that.

How is it a selling point if most people only buy ONE version? :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?

For the reasons given: the fact that now the XBox owners will know the story and spoilers will abound, for the fact that it gives the impression that with a simultaneous release, finally PC gamers aren't being overlooked.

And now you sidestepped MY question: Do you have any background in business or marketing? I'm not talking about maybe one or two classes in college, but ACTUAL experience?

You say "simultaenous release" is a selling point. If someone's only going to buy the PC version, why would they even care when the X-Box version is out if they are NOT getting that version?

You see...I'm only getting the PC version. Now, I pretty much expected Feb. 2005 release for PC version, so nothing really has changed for me. Since I am not getting the X-Box version, it's ultimately meaningless that it's coming out sooner.