Starting the game with a questionaire

I apologize if this has been covered, but I tried search and only found it touched on in other threads so I didn't want to go off-topic.

It sounds like the game is going to have possibly an NPC ask probing questions to find out how the original KOTOR was played through (gender of Revan, LS or DS, etc). Wouldn't just a straightforward questionaire be better? Maybe just before or after character creation and not integrated into the game? It would take just one page, and would ask the appropriate questions about Revan, whether romances were triggered, and whether certain characters survived (Juhani and Bastilla can die regardless of LS or DS, the rest would be answered by the LS or DS question).

This would get it all over with, allowing the player to get on with the game, and would avoid potentially awkwardly worded NPC questions.

Well if they did it as a seprate questionnaire, there would be lots of different answers in it from all asked. Then, the developers would only be able to implement the answers that got the highest score. Not evry1 would be pleased with the story if u could only hav one way to go, rather than the more freeform way we already hav.

With this npc question style (i beleive it has been done in games past), they can cater for nearly, if not evry1's way they beat the original game. It also saves time and money since they dont hav to create the quetionnaire on the website, and means they dont need to then spend time looking at all the results they got, tallying them, and then counting them up.

The npc style quetions mean they can do all ths in game.

Edited by KOTORFanactic

I think you misunderstood. The questionaire would be in the game itself, before or after you create your character. That way it would be only the gamers answers alone that would determine what had happened in KOTOR, and you could still change it around for new games.

U r right i hav misunderstood, sorry.

But rather than a totally seperate questionnaire like u r suggesting, before u create your character, with npcs asking u the questions, it makes it feel a bit more immersive, like they ask u those questions, like u r actually there.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding your first post in this topic.

I apologize if this has been covered, but I tried search and only found it touched on in other threads so I didn't want to go off-topic.

It sounds like the game is going to have possibly an NPC ask probing questions to find out how the original KOTOR was played through (gender of Revan, LS or DS, etc). Wouldn't just a straightforward questionaire be better? Maybe just before or after character creation and not integrated into the game? It would take just one page, and would ask the appropriate questions about Revan, whether romances were triggered, and whether certain characters survived (Juhani and Bastilla can die regardless of LS or DS, the rest would be answered by the LS or DS question).

This would get it all over with, allowing the player to get on with the game, and would avoid potentially awkwardly worded NPC questions.

That would suck if it was that straight foward.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I hav also heard what Sirius and Teksuni hav heard, and beleive that the questions Kreia (and possilbly Atton Rand) ask u at the start of the game, hav been confirmed.

So we most likely will see Kreia ask us these questions at the start, in the first level.

My concern for this would be the potential cheesiness of the dialogue. I liked the character creation better in KOTOR than in Morrowind because of that, and it's not that there would be a lot of questions.

Was Revan male or female?

Was Revan Light Side or Dark Side?

These questions would then trigger the following questions depending on the answers.

Did Juhani survive your initial encounter? (She dies with a DS Revan anyway, so only the LS answer would trigger this.)

Did Bastila survive the Star Forge? (She survives with a DS Revan, so only the LS answer would trigger this.)

Did Carth survive the game? (He survives with an LS Revan, so only the DS answer would trigger this.)

So at most there would only be four questions to ask, as Mission, Zaalbar and Jolee all die if Revan was DS. It would also allow for a "Surprise Me" option, though "I don't know" could be an option in dialogue (in fact, having a random option like this would be great either way for people who don't care or would like to be surprised or have never played the original game).

Why do the questions have to all be asked at the beginning?  Why can't they simply be worked into a conversion when they are needed?  It would seem less like an interrogation if the questions are spread out across the entire game.

True, but then there would be less game to impliment the cool things ;)

Really though good point :blink: at least we wouldnt get to the really cool stuff until the game was ended *cough..KotOR..cough*

Actually, the ingame dialogue may not be such a bad approach. With a questionaire at the very beginning, we might only be able to convey an objective view of what happened in KotOR. Otherwise the questionaire would become cluttered and quite personal, ie. asking what we thought of Revan - supposedly we served under his banner during the Mandalorian War (?).

With in game dialogue, it's more natural I guess. They can fill us in on certain events and we can respond subjectively to probing queries of Revan et al. Later on, if we happen to encounter Revan (and others), hopefully his (her?) personality would be adjusted accordingly (if they managed to pull that stunt, I'd be stunned).

Hopefully they don't hit us all at once. I'm thinking they'll lay the questions on gradually - unusually heavy at first, but later on, becoming more subtle and infrequent . Kind of a skewed build up (with intense pressure at the beginning dwindling to intrigued curiosity by Game End as the clues unfold) before the closure to the mystery behind Revan.

Of course they (the writers) could throw all of that out the window, and have whoever's drilling us say, "well, that's nice, but Revan's been dead for awhile now, we got his corpse in sick bay ..." just after starting the game. I don't know about the rest of you, but that would warrant a chuck-the-game-out-the-window reaction from me :angry: .

Actually on a further (somewhat related note). The build up I described above would be very reminiscent of KotOR. I remember the first time through the game I was intensely curious about Revan (didn't know who he was) and badgered everyone I could about what they thought about him, what they believed his motives were, if they ever met him, and so on and so forth.

I remember Juhani as being notable simply because when I asked her about Revan, she had apparently observed him (perhaps not formally introduced, don't quite remember exactly what she said, but I believe she saw him in person). That alone had me keep her in the party for longer than usual to see what else I could learn from her. Even Canderous was cool with his story on Revan taking on Mandalore (I may be remembering that wrong, but I seem to recall that Revan was the dude who took down Mandalore personally - damn he's vicious B) ). Jolee (his senility aside - amusing as it was) intrigued me as well, I don't think he ever met Revan face to face, and yet he knew about the conspiracy (surprising considering he was stuck on that back water planet for some time).

I'm guessing I'm going to get really attached to the first couple of characters that can give me any kind of info regarding Revan. :D

I wonder if it's going to be straight up questions and answers, or something more subtle like "So what do you know about Revan"

with an answer like "I heard he was captured by the Republic and they tried to make him good again..but alas he fell to the darkside again." or

"I heard she was captured by the Republic and redeemed. In the end she stopped the Sith."

I think I would prefer something like this, but I would imagine some people would like it to be as completely straightforward as possible so that there is no confusion.

I wonder if it's going to be straight up questions and answers, or something more subtle like "So what do you know about Revan"

with an answer like "I heard he was captured by the Republic and they tried to make him good again..but alas he fell to the darkside again."  or

"I heard she was captured by the Republic and redeemed.  In the end she stopped the Sith."

I think I would prefer something like this, but I would imagine some people would like it to be as completely straightforward as possible so that there is no confusion.

I like that option, rather than a questionaire. It feels more....fluid that way, rather than just filling out a form at the beginning.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I beleive that the more important characters, such as Revan and Bastila (if they r indeed in the game), will hav a much larger role to play than one small appearance.

Since they were the focal point of the original, it makes sense that they will make numerous appearances to you and your party.

I also think that the opening questions (most likely asked be Kreia) will be subtle, and they will not be done in one large lump, but slowly spread out over (at least part) of the first level.

yes it would be nice if it wasn't a questionaire but be real that thing : "so, what do you know about revan" is not straightforward ? well, to answer my own question i think it is very straightforward

it would be nicer this way (hehehehehe everyone likes what he/she thinks of ;) ):

-you: "hey kreia who was that ?"

-kreia: "oh that's one of the guys that revan couldn't take out(assuming revan was ls in K1)"

-you: "hey you know revan?"

-kreia: "yeah, you know him/her too?"

-you: "well yeah i followed him in the mandalorian wars"

-kreia: "really? can you tell me how he was back then ?"

things like that - even if things like that would make you believe kreia has a crush on revan hahahahahah :D :)