Hi, i see that on Warding Seal but I think it is related to all Seals spells.

When I check tooltip on the spell's description I see all the damage bonuses adopted:

wardingsealdamagetooltipreduced.jpg.4de362d9015572115cf5346c8ece407e.jpg

But the real damage in combat doesn't apply any bonuses:

wardingsealdamageokreduced.thumb.jpg.525fb5ebc69e5dcfecd999bb35c77e4d.jpg

I suppose the game treats the seal as a trap thus not giving it bonus damage like any other spell, but is this the intended behavior of the spell or is it a bug?

Anyway, or the spell is bugged, or the tooltip is wrong, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

Anyway, or the spell is bugged, or the tooltip is wrong, isn't it?

either/or.

this unfortunately has been an issue since 1.0, believe me i've personally reported it multiple times. even without modifiers, the damage that seals do in practice is under what the base tooltip is.

i think the root cause is that seals create hazard effects, and hazards are handled really really really weird in the game. Walls are also hazards and behave weirdly (like they get partial assassinate bonuses from assassin and don't break stealth), but seals in particular are very weird because walls at least do their stated damage. The biggest thing is that yes, they do a fraction of the tooltip damage, and I don't know why. For this reason they are mostly useful for their secondary effects (prone for repulsing, interrupt for warding, and blind for searing) and the ability to cast them from stealth outside of combat (which lets you refresh a spell slot).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Thank you @thelee, as usual your explanation is very satisfying.

Yes, also in my screenshot base damage would be from 41 and my roll was 40.8!

Hope there will be a future patch for this, but maybe it was already addressed in an available mod :)

Have a good day and thanks again!