I'm playing with SC ascendant Serafen (didn't change his stats though) and he's not nearly as good as ascendant watcher with all the buffs. Every cast of ascendant is precious, while a watcher can sometimes skip borrowed instinct, a companion/mercenary will miss a lot due to lower accuracy. His mediocre INT didn't help either, even with salvation of time his ascended didn't last very long, to the point I believe he's worse than a SC vanilla cipher in many cases. I feel some classes are by design more attribute-reliant than others.

Offensive casters, especially SC ones come to mind. MC casters can get some accuracy from another class so that they can catch up with enemy defenses, but for SC ones I feel they really need the extra accuracy a watcher can stack to be effective. Damage spells can benefit so much from high MIG and spells like symbols, freezing pillar and crushing doom scale very well with INT.

In comparison martial classes seem to suffer less from mediocre stats. They either have built-in bonus accuracy (fighter, ranger) or just mechanics that make stats less impactful (sneak attack). Maybe barbarian is an exception, as carnage is more like a spell. I remember Serafen performing very bad when I used him as barb or witch. Or perhaps I just didn't know how to find a use for barbarian.

Cipher usually is very stats-hungry, though I find picking mindstalker solves many problems. Trying SC Beguiler on Serafen also proved pretty okay. It's really just ascendant that can easily go into a downward spiral due to a couple of misses or grazes. Maybe also Psion since they can't afford wasting a spell?

ime both paladins and chanters need some min-maxing, mostly because of the aura/chant radius and from my experience working with pallegina and konstanten, who have mediocre intellects (especially konstanten). it just feels like you're trying to dig your way out of a hole rather than particularly excelling at them

I think Intellect is probably the most important stat for min maxing.

Any build requiring Intellect have major issues when not having it.

Might is paramount for a healer. Might be less important for a damage dealer caster since high Perception instead can somewhat replace it. A few builds absolutely require high PER.

Keep in mind that a lower stat means another stat will be higher. And all stats are somewhat useful, even if more than a couple points of CON/RES on a backrow character can feel a waste. 

11 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

Keep in mind that a lower stat means another stat will be higher. And all stats are somewhat useful, even if more than a couple points of CON/RES on a backrow character can feel a waste. 

konstanten is especially inefficiently distributed for precisely that trade off, sacrificing some choice stats (int and dex and perception) and investing way too much in constitution and unnecessarily in resolve (barbarians have a deeeep deflection hole to crawl out of so the 13 resolve feels like a waste). honestly his skald or howler options are real uninspiring (bad int, slow attacks, no perception to help crits). barbarian is at least workable since while he might be lame, at least he can be lame for a very long time with 17 con boosting a massive health pool.

Edited by thelee

3 hours ago, thelee said:

konstanten is especially inefficiently distributed for precisely that trade off, sacrificing some choice stats (int and dex and perception) and investing way too much in constitution and unnecessarily in resolve (barbarians have a deeeep deflection hole to crawl out of so the 13 resolve feels like a waste). honestly his skald or howler options are real uninspiring (bad int, slow attacks, no perception to help crits). barbarian is at least workable since while he might be lame, at least he can be lame for a very long time with 17 con boosting a massive health pool.

At least a Skald Barbarian has to be on front row so its tanking stats are not wasted. 

But yeah, when thinking about poorly allocated stats, Konstanten is indeed the first to come to my mind. (Geomancer Maia has bad INT too, but at least has a Smart self buff). 

There is a reason why BPM raised all companions and si de kick stats by 2 (in total) and why I gave 1 of the points to Konstanten Intellect. 

Edited by Elric Galad

If I think a class which can work with all tens on every attribute, I'd say ranger: good accuracy without need of high PER, no need of MIG for healing, no need of INT because most of best abilities are instant or endless, good having high DEX but not essential, RES and CON if you go ranger as usual not needed at all.

1 hour ago, Chaospread said:

If I think a class which can work with all tens on every attribute, I'd say ranger: good accuracy without need of high PER, no need of MIG for healing, no need of INT because most of best abilities are instant or endless, good having high DEX but not essential, RES and CON if you go ranger as usual not needed at all.

So basically a melee ranger can have random stats.

(a ranged ranger is still very suboptimal with high RES/CON)

• Like 1