No dungeon left behind! Who else does this?

It used to be I waited with Raedric's Hold until I was like, level 7. And let me tell you, even with that degree of caution, one or two ToI runs have ended there. Sometimes I'd also wait with the temple in Gilded Vale until after some Defiance Bay adventures. Now, one of my principles is that everything available before Caed Nua is to be done before Caed Nua - even though this is mildly negative for powergaming. This has been working well, even though it means doing RH with my Watcher at 5 and the others at 4. Today I asked myself, what about doing Endless Paths before going to Defiance Bay? Since this is PotD + ToI I obviously mean all the way to level fifteen five.

Now, this was very different from clearing those levels in the midgame as pure chores to get to the interesting ones. There were a lot of narrow victories, narrow escapes and avoiding head-on fights, but every level was cleared... and then I accidentally double pulled at the entrance to level 5 and wiped. It wasn't my first accident, just my first accident that I couldn't fix by retreating.

I think on my next playthrough I will manage it, and then probably wipe in the spider cave because I decided to do Dyrford before going to Defiance Bay too. Anyway, does anyone else have a route through the game they just have to follow every time? 😄

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, with one of my build:

I managed to do all quests and content before Caed Nua before to go to Defiance Bay (also Bear Cave, Gilded Vale Temple and Raedric). With right equipments it can be done. If you go solo, you have to pay attention to your build. Some build make some encounter easier (ie. Druid with charm beast and hold beast in the bear cave). I'd let Raedric last fight, temple in Gilded Vale and Bear Cave to the end.
In the build above there are a recap of my runs, but non so detailed before Defiance Bay.
Endless path before Defiance Bay can be managed until level 2, I'd avoid Ogre Level, if you wanna go for fight and not stealth, beside some builds can mange them (is. Cipher with Whisper of Treason or mage with Bewieldering Spectacle I think).

I hope this note can usefeull to you, have fun! :)

For Raedric's Castle I nearly always make sure to bring a Chanter with White Worms (usually that's Kana). As long as you don't reload the map and turn off the "gib" option in the game menu you can "reuse" the corpses of fallen enemies over and over again which is very effective at chokepoints where you can pile them in a small area.
So what I will do is to lure enemies to a doorway, kill them there, then lure more enemies to that chokepoint, kill them with White Worms, lure more and so on. At some point whole groups will get one-shot by White Worms' multiple corpse explosions. It's the easiest way I know to clear the whole castle whithout wasting too many resources. I like to loot all the rel. expensive plate armor and other gear (which grants a lot of money so early in the game).

I didn't actually try that with a solo Chanter - but I don't see why this wouldn't work solo, too. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You could do Raedric's Castle also with a party with a Chiper and/or a Wizard. Put a trap near every NPC you can (not necessary but it helps), with a fast companion hit a foe and run to a choke point (bedroom door is a nice solution), then a tank block the way to all enemies while the wizard cast Bewildering Spectacle and the chiper cast Whisper of Treason against the enemy closest to your party, and in the meantime the whole group make ranged attack to no charmed/confused foes. Druids can cast Sunbeam/Insect Swarm/Burst of Summer Flame and Priests can buff party, another wizard can spam Chillfog below enemies feet. If you have a Chanter, put "White Worms" Boeroer tip on the top and you should be even better.
All first/second level spells/abilities, I think you can manage it with no high level characters (5 level party could handle it, I suppose) :)

Gee, and here I thought I had cosmic brained Raedric's Hold by rushing to Nedmar so I can rest all I like...

It all did work out on the second attempt. Did EP5 and Dyrford quests before ever going to Defiance Bay. Felt like seasoned adventurers coming in to help the puny citydwellers with their trivial problems. It won't be anytime soon, but stay tuned nonetheless for my megalomania causing me to try Searing Falls before DB too.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods

I made Searing Fall cave and Cail solo PoTD at level 10, so if you do Dyrford before Searing Falls, I think you can beat it :)

Edit: about Dyrford, there are Scaen Cultist who are imho worst than Searing Falls...

Edited by Chaospread
added text
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chaospread said:

Edit: about Dyrford, there are Scaen Cultist who are imho worst than Searing Falls...

Yes, well, cough, when I said I did that, I meant I used the back entrance and just agreed to cooperate with Wymund, and then pillaged the dungeon. I can't remember the last time I bothered to fight my way through 😛

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods