Looking to maybe do a fighter for the first time and someone raised an interesting idea. Fighters are in the highest ACC group in the game and can also use Discipline Barrage for +20. Their high accuracy carries over to spells they cast from Spellbinds (and maybe Scrolls too?) so makes them interesting candiates as pseudo spellcasters. Using items like White Crest Armor, Bittercut, Belt of the Royal Deadfire Canoneer or the Flames of Fair Rhain is an interesting way to get some spells like Fireball, Torrent of Flame and others but what are some additional interesting options?

The rel. early Amulet of Summer Solstice and Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath for some AoE dmg.

Munacra Arret and Spirit Spiral (charm) as well als Ring of Changing Heart (dominate) for impactful CC. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, ACC is valid also with scrolls.

Some good items to use with high ACC:

• Necklace of Fireballs (up to EIGHT fireball in only one encounter)
  • Amulet of Summer Solstice and Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath for damage as Boeroer said, but also for blind
  • The others Boeroer said (charm and dominate)
  • Rotfinger Gloves for AoE corrode damage
  • Ring of Searing Flames
  • Bittercut for Infestation of Maggots
  • Like 2

If you use the Helwax Mold for The Flames of Fair Rhîan and then also buy Taluntain's Staff you could have 9 Fireballs per rest. I did this with a Rogue (because ACC also not bad and Deathblows working with spells - Sneak Attack not though). But this comes all a bit late.

Rotfinger Gloves, Amulet of Summer Solstice, Sun-Touched Mail and Munacra Arret are esp. nice imo because they can be obtained rel. early. Same with the White Spire (estoc in Defiance Bay). It has 3 Blizzards per rest. 

You can stack a really decent amount of per-rest spells on a character that way and make him a good caster.

I wrote a little build guide for a Rogue + scrolls, it's in the build list under "Sorcerer's Apprentice". It's a Rogue and not a fighter but the principles apply to both (instead of Deathblows the Fighter has Disciplined Barrage which stacks very nicely with the accuracy bonus that is on most of those spellbinds - except Ring of Changing Heart which has no acc bonus iirc). 

--- 

Edit: in Deadfire you can recharge "charged" spellbinds if you have two of the same item. FOr example a Necklace of Fireballs usually has 8 charges and if it's depleted you can basically throw it away. But if you have another one in the stash you can stack them to a pile and when you seperate them again both are charged full again.

I never tried this in PoE - but maybe... maybe one could use the Helwax Mold on one of those charged items (there's the Red Reed Wand or the Rod of Wind and Thunder for example) and then do the same in PoE? As I said I never tried and most likely this doesn't work like in Deadfire - but maybe it's worth a shot? Because then you'd have the perfect spellbinding item that had a ton of spells and you could recharge them after every encounter...   

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/8/2023 at 7:57 AM, patronkus said:

Looking to maybe do a fighter for the first time and someone raised an interesting idea. Fighters are in the highest ACC group in the game and can also use Discipline Barrage for +20. Their high accuracy carries over to spells they cast from Spellbinds (and maybe Scrolls too?) so makes them interesting candiates as pseudo spellcasters. Using items like White Crest Armor, Bittercut, Belt of the Royal Deadfire Canoneer or the Flames of Fair Rhain is an interesting way to get some spells like Fireball, Torrent of Flame and others but what are some additional interesting options?

It reminds me of my previous build :

[CLASS BUILD] The Unstoppable Wave (Siege Breaker Fighter) - Pillars of Eternity: Characters Builds, Strategies & the Unity Engine (Spoiler Warning!) - Obsidian Forum Community

Abyddon Hammer is great because you can use it once per encounter (not technically a spellbind but fullfill the described purpose)

Hey, I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but Father's Teeth would be an amazing addition to this build.
It is up to RNG as it's only available from an Average Level Caed Nua Adventure, but I think it would be perfect for you!

It's an amulet that grants 4 casts of "Rot Skulls" per level, which summons the wand Rot Skull as the character's primary weapon for an extended period of time, around a minute with good intellect.

The weapon itself does 22-32 Crush damage BASE, along with 52 AOE Corrode damage 1.5m from the target, like a better version of Kalakoth's Minor Blights :)

This, or a similar summoned wand could be precisely what you're looking for, as it would maximize your fighters high crit potential, while chucking AOE downrange to boot, and it can be used four times per rest, which is generous ;) I'm fairly certain all wands summoned weapons give a significant accuracy bonus as well.

That's correct. It's a charged spellbind, not a regular one. You can summon Rot Skulls 4 times in total and then it's empty forever. The +18 Fortitude is still sweet though.

There are some other items that also have charged spellbinds:
https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Pillars_of_Eternity_enchantments#Charged_Spellbind