Forgotten Sanctum Bio Spore Boss Insta Kill Avoidance

Hey all been a bit!,

Any tips on how to avoid the insta kill ability the Spore Boss has in FC? I beat the boss but lost my cipher lol I’m still not sure what insta kills (no injuries) the character.  This is the second time it’s happened to me in 2 runs and I’m not sure what it is haha.

Have gun will travel.

23 hours ago, Torm51 said:

Hey all been a bit!,

Any tips on how to avoid the insta kill ability the Spore Boss has in FC? I beat the boss but lost my cipher lol I’m still not sure what insta kills (no injuries) the character.  This is the second time it’s happened to me in 2 runs and I’m not sure what it is haha.

I've never had this happen and looked through the giant luminescent spores' abilities and don't see anything that would destroy a character. But his spore cloud can charm your allies, and he has a "storing magic" ability that causes him to do a variable amount of retaliation damage on being killed. I wonder if it's possible there's an interaction the storing magic attack on alliance-flipped characters that causes them to die rather than become unconscious? 

I'd have to see it happen and check the log to really be sure, but since I haven't seen it happen I can only speculate. Did you see anything in the log? 

It's pretty easy to avoid combat with him if you want.

33 minutes ago, Shai Hulud said:

I've never had this happen and looked through the giant luminescent spores' abilities and don't see anything that would destroy a character. But his spore cloud can charm your allies, and he has a "storing magic" ability that causes him to do a variable amount of retaliation damage on being killed. I wonder if it's possible there's an interaction the storing magic attack on alliance-flipped characters that causes them to die rather than become unconscious? 

I'd have to see it happen and check the log to really be sure, but since I haven't seen it happen I can only speculate. Did you see anything in the log? 

It's pretty easy to avoid combat with him if you want.

It something called Llenengraths Teachings. The frightened child just did it to Rekke too and this one said “destroyed”. So far I’ve lost 2 party members to FS destroy spells. It’s gnarly lol and not the 1st time.  Rekke was at about full HP and he was just snuffed out, no defense vs attack roll just “destroyed”.

I LOVE FS. It’s a scary as hell place and the enemies plus vibe is perfect for the setting. Enemies that can just snuff you out lol. It’s thematic for sure. 

maybe you just got to CC and damage down both the spore boss and the frightened child before they can do the abilities. 

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Llengrath's Teachings directly destroys a friendly target and gives to the caster robust and 100% spell reflection for a limited time. Rekke was probably charmed first and then destroyed. If your party is using Captain's Banquet/Modwyr you should be safe.

Edited by Kaylon

42 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Llengrath's Teachings directly destroys a friendly target and gives to the caster robust and 100% spell reflection for a limited time. Rekke was probably charmed first and then destroyed. If your party is using Captain's Banquet/Modwyr you should be safe.

Ya going forward I’ll get intellect affliction immunity for FS with captains banquet. It had been a while and forgot about those lol. How does frightened child destroy you when charmed? 

pS just beat Fs POTD Ironman. frightened child harder than the Oracle for sure.  Lol 

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

14 hours ago, Torm51 said:

Ya going forward I’ll get intellect affliction immunity for FS with captains banquet. It had been a while and forgot about those lol. How does frightened child destroy you when charmed? 

pS just beat Fs POTD Ironman. frightened child harder than the Oracle for sure.  Lol 

Frightened Child is very difficult, I agree worse than oracle. I don't recall her exact abilities but she is a high level cipher who likes to spam death of 1000 cuts, and if you're hit by that plus hit by her minions they will mess you up pretty fast. She presumably has access to disintegration as well, which destroys. There are various other enemies that have high level cipher spells as well in FS. 

I didn't see llengrath's teachings listed in the abilities for the giant luminescent spore on the wiki, but that would definitely explain it. Something like spore cloud charmed your character and then that ability was used.

With frightened chlid I like to run back where the librarians are and then throw down spells like great maelstrom, storm of holy fire, minoletta's missile salvo, etc. Can also use CC spells around the door to make a choke point, but it's usually enough to let them murder the librarians while I stand back and use farcasting AOE spells to take her out. Don't forget about scrolls, even if you don't have a druid you should have a character with high arcana to cast scrolls. 

For an ironman run you're probably better off skipping these fights. Giant luminescent spore doesn't give you anything for fighting it. For frightened child you get a neat crossbow, so could be worth it. Still, I usually kill frightened child even though I never use the crossbow, just because loot, even did so on an ultimate run. 

8 minutes ago, Shai Hulud said:

Frightened Child is very difficult, I agree worse than oracle. I don't recall her exact abilities but she is a high level cipher who likes to spam death of 1000 cuts, and if you're hit by that plus hit by her minions they will mess you up pretty fast. She presumably has access to disintegration as well, which destroys. There are various other enemies that have high level cipher spells as well in FS. 

I didn't see llengrath's teachings listed in the abilities for the giant luminescent spore on the wiki, but that would definitely explain it. Something like spore cloud charmed your character and then that ability was used.

With frightened chlid I like to run back where the librarians are and then throw down spells like great maelstrom, storm of holy fire, minoletta's missile salvo, etc. Can also use CC spells around the door to make a choke point, but it's usually enough to let them murder the librarians while I stand back and use farcasting AOE spells to take her out. Don't forget about scrolls, even if you don't have a druid you should have a character with high arcana to cast scrolls. 

For an ironman run you're probably better off skipping these fights. Giant luminescent spore doesn't give you anything for fighting it. For frightened child you get a neat crossbow, so could be worth it. Still, I usually kill frightened child even though I never use the crossbow, just because loot, even did so on an ultimate run. 

Agreed on the fight skips but I did out of spite and still won but the cost was heavy. I wanted to do an Ironman where I didn’t wiggle out of hard fights 😛 And I beat the game so I did it!  Excellent advice though and I appreciate it. You helped a lot! :)  Especially for my next run haha

Edited by Torm51
  • Thanks 1

Have gun will travel.