Hi!

I was wandering how on can change an ability from power level 8 to 7.
In this case it the ability time parasite for cipher. Wanted to try it out on a multiclass after replaying the game a couple of times.
I've figured out you can use Notepad++ to open abilities.gamedatabundle localized at "Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata".
Here I've figured out you can change "AbilityLevel":8 to "AbilityLevel":7, and "UsageValue":80 to "UsageValue":70.
This makes it possible to use the ability, but not learn it on level up, as it's still classified as a power level 8 skill on when leveling your character.
So here I was wandering if it's possible to drop it from level 8 to level 7, so a muticlassed character can use it on lv 19?
Thanks in advanced :)

7 hours ago, Buddy Juan said:

Hi!

I was wandering how on can change an ability from power level 8 to 7.
In this case it the ability time parasite for cipher. Wanted to try it out on a multiclass after replaying the game a couple of times.
I've figured out you can use Notepad++ to open abilities.gamedatabundle localized at "Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata".
Here I've figured out you can change "AbilityLevel":8 to "AbilityLevel":7, and "UsageValue":80 to "UsageValue":70.
This makes it possible to use the ability, but not learn it on level up, as it's still classified as a power level 8 skill on when leveling your character.
So here I was wandering if it's possible to drop it from level 8 to level 7, so a muticlassed character can use it on lv 19?
Thanks in advanced :)

Probably this should be in the modding forum? 

I don't know the answer but have you tried adding the ability via console? I've been able to cast higher level abilities in some cases by adding it via console. It doesn't appear in the spells because they only go up to tier 7 but it can be cast by script. I didn't mess with anything in notepad though

AddAbility Player<TAB> name_of_ability

Might work, I feel like @Elric Galadwould know the answer to this

5 hours ago, Shai Hulud said:

I don't know the answer but have you tried adding the ability via console? I've been able to cast higher level abilities in some cases by adding it via console. It doesn't appear in the spells because they only go up to tier 7 but it can be cast by script. I didn't mess with anything in notepad though

I does not work for Wiz, Druid, Priest, Chanter, and pretty sure it does not work for Cipher either. UI only provide spells from unlocked spell tiers.

It should work for all other classes (non spell abilities) though. Except pet abilities which would work in a weird way.

16 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

For modding you'd also have to alter the progression table (which tells the game which ability comes when for a class), not only the ability itself. 

Yes, this is what the OP need to add.

Consider you either have to override the whole table, or Append the corresponding table with a carbon copy of Time Parasite. I would do the second one.

Please refer to the modding subforum, as it isn't the most obvious thing to do. Or just look for an existing mod that does something similar to another ability.

Edited by Elric Galad

5 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

I does not work for Wiz, Druid, Priest, Chanter, and pretty sure it does not work for Cipher either. UI only provide spells from unlocked spell tiers.

It should work for all other classes (non spell abilities) though. Except pet abilities which would work in a weird way.

Yeah if you add higher level spells via console they don't appear in the UI except under script abilities. Scripting overrides the user interface in some ways, like you can cast higher level spells and drink potions of final stand without being near death. So a multiclassed character could use such a spell in scripts but that solution is pretty janky...

• Like 1

It might be easier just to download one of the mods that raises the level cap, as does this one. That way MC characters can use PL 8 abilities once they reach lvl 22, which actually isn't that too far along in the game. You can make it to about level 29 solo if you do all of the quests, bounties, etc. In a party, you can make it to about lvl 27 turn if you turn in quests with your party dismissed.

• Like 1