Auto pause during fights

I don't quite understand. I sounds as if you missed that you can turn off the AI that is steering your character and companions and give all orders yourself, but I'm not sure.
Are you playing with Turn Based Mode or Real Time with Pause?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the action bar that pops up above your party's portraits (when you hover over them) there's a button on the far left that shows a head symbol. If it's highlighted (blueish hue) then AI is steering that character. You can use generic AI settings, make and use custom AI scripts with the "AI scripting tool" (which is pretty useful), or turn AI off completely for that character so he/she only acts if you give commands directly. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I can't seem to get it to pause between rounds.  If you played Pathfinder or Neverwinter you assign each of your party members a task or attack.  Then the monsters or enemy attacks.  Then there is a pause so you can reassign you party members as needed.  It does not seem to do that in Pillars of Eternity.

Hi, there's no turn base in PoE1, you can only set some auto-pause options, as you see in the image below:
autopause.thumb.jpg.8f60da47cc47e93f80ace1ef76287074.jpg

There are no "auto pause when attack ends" option, I suggest you to enable other options such as:

• Party Member Finishes Ability
  • Combat Time (maybe 3 seconds if you wanna "mock" a turn base gameplay)
  • Target Destroyed

You can also play around with these options and fit with the best for you, I think many auto options enabled are too "heavy" for a smooth gameplay and I prefer also pause when need with spacebar.

Hope it helps :)

Good game :)