I guess one can make it work, but imo it's not a super good solo combo because of the shortcomings of a solo Debonaire (see cowardice etc.) which you'd have to circumvent. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

23 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I guess one can make it work, but imo it's not a super good solo combo because of the shortcomings of a solo Debonaire (see cowardice etc.) which you'd have to circumvent. 

Could vela potentially counterattack that if I just kept her withdrew? Hahaha

are you just hoping to be able to land crits everywhere, and use beguiler's whispers of treason to charm targets that you can't hit with debonaire charm?

i don't think cowardice is going to be that bad, with enough perception. (said as someone who rolled a debonaire and sent them to sneak off alone to do what i'm about to mention:) what you probably will be doing is hoping to land a charm and going invis to reset the fight after the mobs kill the charmed target, right? w/ cipher if you dominate the last target they'll count as a friend for cowardice while you're busy stabbing them in the guts. definitely a heterodox strategy for solo methinks but might work. (i would not recommend vela for this approach because you make it harder to escape fights)

Edited by thelee

I guess you could also just charm/dominate enemies to cancel cowardice. It wouldn't be a huge problem to circumvent it in normal encounters, but I fear in prolonged fights, especially against solo bosses (see Megabosses) it might be difficult to do so (how many Withdraw scrolls can one carry? You may struggle to dominate bosses reliably).

Also, as most other Ciphers, Beguilers don't get focus from hitting (with weapon or deception spell) charmed/dominated enemies which makes the Debonaire/Beguiler combo anti-synergistic against single, tough foes.

On those cases Psion would be a better pick. In theory he could keep enemies charmed or dominated and cast (critical) Disintegrate on them while still getting focus. Beguiler will become focus-starved quickly.

I think there's a reason why the only x/Cipher Ultimate run I recall was with a Psion (but maybe I just forgot the others, can't rule that out).

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

especially against solo bosses (see Megabosses) it might be difficult to do so

why not just gouging strike for bosses?

though pairing with psion does seem intriguing. in addition to the disintegration synergy on the last standing enemy, if you charm + invis, you'll have plenty of time to generate focus while the enemies attack their former friend (if you're not planning or unable to reset the fight after the charmed enemy dies).

19 hours ago, thelee said:

why not just gouging strike for bosses?

Against Blob that doesn't work too well. Imo you want to use Disintegrate against him and that might not work out if you can't get focus reliably I guess. 

Psion is really cool for Ultimate imo if you can make sure not to get damaged too often (like with mind control, hard CC in general and going invisible/hide/become untargetable).

Edited by Boeroer