Fan Content

I'd really like to see some support for the fan community in Obsidian's next project such as a toolset, post-launch downloadable content, integration of fan suggestions and contests to include a fan-made NPC or two in the game.

SSE is incorporating many of these in their upcoming title "The Fall". I've never played any of their titles before, but I'm sure going to give "The Fall" a chance because of their dedication to recognize and support the fan community.

Many of the Obsidian staff have great resumes. However Obsidian is a new company. Troika rests on the laurels of the Fallout franchise that was never put out under the Troika banner. I'd like to see Obisidian make a new name for themselves, and cement themselves as a premiere developer in fan's eyes.

While catering to the fan community has not equaled great financial success in the past (Fallout being a fine example), word of mouth is becoming more and more important. Internet buzz keeps getting louder and louder. I like to point to Kingdom Hearts, which had a weak marketing campaign and a horrible image at launch. Most people anticipated the title to fall on it's face.

Popular word-of-mouth carried that game to millions of sales both in NA and Japan. It stands as one of the best selling titles on the PS2 to date. Building a strong internet fan-base prelaunch can create similiar positive word-of-mouth advertising.

I'd really like to see some support for the fan community in Obsidian's next project such as a toolset, post-launch downloadable content, integration of fan suggestions and contests to include a fan-made NPC or two in the game.

SSE is incorporating many of these in their upcoming title "The Fall". I've never played any of their titles before, but I'm sure going to give "The Fall" a chance because of their dedication to recognize and support the fan community.

Many of the Obsidian staff have great resumes. However Obsidian is a new company. Troika rests on the laurels of the Fallout franchise that was never put out under the Troika banner. I'd like to see Obisidian make a new name for themselves, and cement themselves as a premiere developer in fan's eyes.

While catering to the fan community has not equaled great financial success in the past (Fallout being a fine example), word of mouth is becoming more and more important. Internet buzz keeps getting louder and louder. I like to point to Kingdom Hearts, which had a weak marketing campaign and a horrible image at launch. Most people anticipated the title to fall on it's face.

Popular word-of-mouth carried that game to millions of sales both in NA and Japan. It stands as one of the best selling titles on the PS2 to date. Building a strong internet fan-base prelaunch can create similiar positive word-of-mouth advertising.

You're so right about that it almost hurts. KH really started to snowball after its launch. When it released I managed a gamestore while working through college, and we just couldn't believe how at first noone bought it. After about 45 days, we couldn't keep it in stock!!!

I really think Obsidian is doing the right thing by letting the fans voice their opinions and concerns. Not many, if any, of the "big" devs really do this in the same manner. I think that if you come up with a unique idea, then find that it will be or already has been implemented, it makes the fan feel like he's made an impact on the game, even if it is in the smallest of aspects. I like that.

Having the forums is nice.

And it's nice to see the dev's stop in with comments. However, I don't think fan feedback will have a large impact on KOTOR:2 because the game was already well into development, and the engine won't see many changes.

Feedback is very important to games, I think. Take mods, I run one myself for HL2. I think it's very important to listen to what the players want, or your work will be for nothing...

On the subject of fan content, I'd really like to see KOTOR 2 moddable... I heard Lucasarts doesn't want "unofficial material" or something like that, but Jedi Academy is freely modded, so why not this? I seriously doubt anybody takes modifications as official stuff anyway. Georgie L needs to calm down... And make good films too.

That is one thing we agree on.

?

I've only seen two things we disagree on: Planescape: Torment and Foreign Politics.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!