Scarabs

The scarabs in this game is the absolute worst addition to the game hands down. They are an absolute headache trying to hunt and you need way to many just to upgrade a single weapon fully. The weapon nerfs I can deal with it makes sense the game was getting to easy the grind also requiring more materials also makes sense. But these scarabs are terrible they aren't fun they are frustrating hard to find and hard to kill and make me just want to turn the game off. I really hope they they either get nerfed or they just get rid of them entirely. They move way to fast they are hard to find and when you do find them they might get away if you chase after them they will bury underground making the whole effort worthless. I'd much rather this game make us fight something even if it's challenging in order to further upgrade our weapons but hunting these things is a big no from me and seems like other grounded fans aswell. Something needs to be done with these things though because they are starting to turn me away from this game hopefully before the update fully releases the devs will realize that the scarabs are not a good addition to the game. 

I managed to kill the scarabs with only one shot, but I had to use a level 7 crossbow, a crow hat, a tier 3 arrow and the mutation for bow damage (level 2) (I think a tier 2 arrow can be used but I dont know), so it's not so hard to kill them (I know it requires a lot of things but their shell is used for the last upgrades in the game, therefore its ok for me). I liked the scarabs idea, but I have to agree that they are extremely rare considering 15 shells are needed to fully upgrade a weapon, if less were needed I believe it would be ok.

I didn't realize running was actually my problem initially when hunting scarabs. If you walk you can see them and aim before they bolt most of the time. Using the crossbow with feather/splinter arrows gave me one shot kills...when I could aim well enough. If you miss an walk after them you typically have a second/third/forth chance at a shot. Once I started using the scanners I was able to find them with 'relative' ease. I was not a fan initially, but I'm okay with them now. It's a different type of hunting so I appreciate that. The latest patch notes say they upped the quantity of shells dropped so that should help as well for upgrades. 

• Like 1

Quick note Johnny (I agree they're a pain), but they kind of do have a weakness to arrows. At least splinter arrows from a crossbow that's level 7 And the feather cap (and maybe the arrow perk) Yeah, big combo, but you can one shot them (if you miss they're gonna head for the hills)

Now if I could just find them, hanging out where the scanners say they are is a pretty sure way to get a beetle in the backside ;)

(Post was still waiting on moderator approval... so I'm going to just extend it.)

Last night's patch made things much better IMO the larger shell drop and seeing them more frequently. Now it's a challenge instead of frustration. 

Props Devs!

The scarabs are supposed to be hard AF, and if you don't have the gear to hunt them, you're not ready for them anyways.  It's refreshing to have a new bug that you don't kill by face-tanking it, or strafing circles around it, like everything else.

When i first started the play test i absolutely agreed with you, i HATED the scarabs, but after realizing you just have to walk and shoot them (a level 7 crossbow, crow hat, crow arrows, archer perk, one shots them) and that yeah, the most valuable item in the game should be hard to obtain, i started to appreciate them a lot more. I will say that their detection range is broken rn, if one of them is down in the ravines and you stand above the ravine, they will detect you and flee, even if you're 30-40 away from them. 

quick tip for hunting them, 1 always spawns in the shieldbug area and due to it being an enclosed area, its a near guaranteed twinkling shell as long as you dont mess up. think they respawn every 3-4 days