Mutation Profiles

Greetings Folks,
Let me first apologize if this has suggested previously, my cursory search yielded nothing. Second, I apologize to the console gamers, I am an OLD school PC gamer (pencil and paper before that) and my suggestions will reflect this.

I don't believe I would be alone in requesting that mutation profiles be made available in a future update.

Example:
I want to kill a bee and start my attack with a bow and the mutations Sharpshooter, Cardio Fan and Natural Explorer; as the bee closes the gap I want to switch from the Sharpshooter mutation to Barbarian or Javelineer without opening the menu, just as the Hot Pouch allows for hot swapping weapons/gear assignable to the numbers 1-8, a second or sub- Hot pouch could do the same for mutation combinations using the modifier keys CTRL, ALT or SHIFT; so as the bee(s) close(s) the gap, I could quickly and easily switch from Sharpshooter, Cardio Fan and Natural Explorer to Barbarian etc.. etc.. by simply pressing SHIFT-2 or Javelineer etc.. etc.. by pressing SHIFT-3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that mutation profiles is a great idea, however having them switchable via hotkey kind of defeats the purpose of limiting them only to three. I think a good compromise would be to allow for mutation profiles, but keep it accessible only in the mutation menu screen. It would still be helpful that way... it would save clicks to turn off current mutations in order to activate new ones, and it would be handy when wanting to, say... go for a pond dive, or just build stuff, etc..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SnickerSnack said:

I think that mutation profiles is a great idea, however having them switchable via hotkey kind of defeats the purpose of limiting them only to three. I think a good compromise would be to allow for mutation profiles, but keep it accessible only in the mutation menu screen. It would still be helpful that way... it would save clicks to turn off current mutations in order to activate new ones, and it would be handy when wanting to, say... go for a pond dive, or just build stuff, etc..

Hey SnickerSnack,
Thanks for your thoughts however, you misunderstand. I do not suggest adding additional mutations to the trifecta, I am proposing profiles assigned to modified hotkeys, each profile consisting of three different mutations that a player can quickly and easily switch to by simply pressing ALT-2, CTRL-4 or whatever key combination would best fit with the programming without opening the mutation menu; your "compromise" would defeat the purpose of my suggestion entirely. I am sure that I am not alone in my desire to quickly switch mutation combinations on the fly during battle without having to open the menu. I have no doubt that you use different mutations for different in-game scenarios, say in the pond vs. in the hedge. Let's look at the Armor Dummy, it holds three pieces of armor, right? I am suggesting that Hot Pouch slots could be modified to hold three mutations or a new Hot Pouch type feature be implemented based on the original. The beauty of it, besides the obvious, is that it doesn't have to consist of eight slots as the Hot Pouch does, there really is only need for two, maybe three profiles.

• Like 1

I think I understood exactly what you meant. You want to be able to switch between 3-mutation combinations instantly via hotkey during combat, right? What I was trying to point out is that if you have several mutation profiles that you can switch to with a hotkey, the idea might be in opposition to the system the devs intended. They are limiting mutations to three at a time, and not easily switchable, indicating that they want players to have to make hard choices. If, on the other hand, they granted your idea and made them accessible via hotkeys, then it would be (in my mind) similar to having all mutations active (or at least instantly accessible) at once. That doesn't appear to be what they are going for, otherwise they would've made all mutations become active as they are unlocked. 

This is just my opinion, but I think that would possibly throw off the combat balance and make the mutation choices less meaningful. If they decided not to implement your idea, it would still at least be nice to set up profiles, even if they aren't via hotkey. At the very least, they should allow mutations to automatically deactivate when a new one is selected. - That's just a basic quality of life improvement. 

• Like 1

Hey SnickerSnack,

Thanks again for your opinion, and I again will offer a riposte.
Isn't that the point of a suggestion forum, to offer constructive ideas that are indeed diametrically opposed to the status quo? Don't bother, it is a rhetorical question. I mean we are not talking Lawful Good vs Chaotic Evil level of opposition here, but how am I to know? I don't know the developers or what their intentions might be, regardless of how many blogs, announcements or posts of theirs I have read; even as lead game tester for SEGA back in the day who worked closely with game developers on a daily basis, I was never so presumptuous. I may be able to guess at what my wife of 25 years' intentions may be for any given action however, you can trust I will get clarification before making any assumptions. Having said that, let's just use your logic and say they put up a forum asking for suggestions, indicating that they wanted to read ideas that enhance the experience, perhaps ideas that they themselves didn't think of. Who am I to know? Who are you?
I thank you again for your thoughts, let's agree to disagree and leave it at that, shall we?

That's fine. I apologize for causing any needless offense. But please consider, as you said, that it is a suggestion forum. Suggestions are open for discussion by virtue that this is a forum. If the devs were only interested in suggestions without discussion, they could've designed it as an intake form. There is a place to do that too, right from the game menu, so you might consider submitting your idea there if you haven't already. Also there is the discord forum where suggestions are made and voted on by fellow players... You may know that already, but if not, you might check it out... You may find that your idea gets more traction there.

• Like 1

Hey SnickerSnack,

Thank you but there is no need to apologize, no offense was taken just as none was, but is now intended.
I conceded through my verbiage that your expressed ideas and partial concession were your opinions but chose to rail against your assertation that my idea may be in conflict with what the devs intended, simply because neither of us can know their intentions on this particular suggested addition to the game; unless you are privy to previous discourse on this exact matter, then by all means, please share the link.

Discourse on a specific topic by individuals with opposing ideas, concessions notwithstanding, is by it's very nature a means for one side to influence the viewpoint of the other. I already know your compromise holds no sway over my idea and quite honestly, I just didn't want to expend the effort to try to influence yours. I am 50 years old and life is too short to spend time convincing anyone of something when the benefits are already so very self-evident.
However, I will give it one final thrust.
Verisimilitude. Look it up. I even provided a link. If that is too confusing, maybe this article from leagueofgamemakers.com will be more digestible.
It is a word that any decent p&p D&D player/DM knows well. I might also add that, incontrovertibly, without p&p D&D the face of modern gaming would look quite different.
Here is how it applies to Grounded.
The player's tiny body has naturally developed certain mutations or skills that give the player certain buffs, perks or benefits in a given situation, those situations can change naturally on the fly, therefore the player should be able to access and use those mutations or skills as naturally as possible in a game in response. Having to open a menu with battle ongoing breaks the sense of verisimilitude. In real life, I can play basketball, baseball and billiards; I can also sing, dance and juggle, does this mean I can't sing a song and dance a jig on a pool table while juggling baseballs in the middle of a basketball court... and if someone throws me a basketball, wouldn't I naturally drop the baseballs to catch the basketball and quite possibly shoot from half court? Whether I make it or not is irrelevant, I never said I was good at any of these activities.
The point is that a player already HAS the skills and should be able to access them naturally. This is not about 'hard choices'. Pffft

I offer my thanks for your suggestion that I try to find traction elsewhere, but I do not need or want your not so subtle attempt to show me the door.
Offense taken.

• Confused 1

Well that escalated quickly 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

IMO…. The first two comments were all that needed to be said.  Both stating your opinion which is what this forum is for… ideas and different views on ideas.

Somehow you turned into snickers picking your idea apart and saying you were pretty wrong?  Idk too much knowledge for me to understand apparently.   Both of your input I’m sure is very helpful.   Arguing about whose idea wins over the other… not so helpful. 

Too many critics of this game all wanting the game to be easier…shortcuts for everything.  Hot keys for everything.  Wanting everything layed out  in front of them so they don’t have to kill or hunt for it.    I myself like the challenge and the rush to switch armor or mutations when needed.   But I’m pretty boring.. I wear one set of armor changing headwear as needed.  My mutations rarely change unless I’m cutting grass or digging rocks.   I have no troubles.  

I’ll show myself to the door 🤗

• Like 1