dps/off-tank Chanter (SC or MC) with talker-stats (high Per/Int/Res/Mig // low Dex) still good on PotD (including megobosses) like in poe1 or not viable?

I am currently still testing out classes at medium levels in poe1, and am having I blast with 3 DD-Chanters right now.

I wonder if a Chanter can still serve as a DD/Tank hybrid in Deafdire or if they are less optimal for that now..?

In poe1 I have the following stats (boreal dwarf): M18/C10/D2/P16/I18/R14

I would be open to most multiclasses, just as I would to single class. Most interesting to me (for flavour reasons - as I have a really awesome backstory in my head for that) would be Ranger, Paladin (Wayfarer), Druid or Priest (Berath) multi.

Or are they no longer DD-capable with Dragon Thrashed?

Edited by SirMirrorcoat

2 hours ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

Or are they no longer DD-capable with Dragon Thrashed?

chants for damage is a no-go in PoE1. On higher difficulties, even the tier one chant ("come come") may even do more damage than dragon thrashed, simply because of PEN issues.

2 hours ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

I wonder if a Chanter can still serve as a DD/Tank hybrid in Deafdire or if they are less optimal for that now..?

bellower, skald, and troubadour can certainly dish out lots of DD. the lightning bolt invocation, eld nary [more useful for skald/troubadour, but amazing for bellower on turn-based], and then the ice damage one are all great DD invocations, and skald and troubadour can punt them out very fast. Bellower can't punt them out very fast, but gets very nice damage scaling because of all the bonus PL. Even the healing/resolve-defense invocation can be upgraded to do sick damage indoors (the two rays of light will bounce, and with proper aiming in tight corridors you can get them to repeatedly bounce through your enemy and the bad guys, healing you up to full while wiping vulnerable enemies out).

i had a bellower build that was actually top party damage dealer for the longest stretch of the game almost purely just off the lightning bolt invocation. i have a skald right now that is in the trades for top/second party damage dealer with my dps sorcerer build, which was also originally off of the lightning bolt invocation but now is thanks to fast and cheap eld nary's wiping out the battlefield.

• Like 2

In addition to being a DD with invocations, could a bellower be decent at the front or is it a back-line unit?

Focusing on invocations sounds (haha) nice, though I fear that my stats wouldn't be that great for that, because of my low Dex... Guess my old stat spread from my talker-wizard would be more advantagous for that (M14 C08 D11 P15 I16 R14)?

4 hours ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

Also, you meant PoE2 I assume?

ooops yea

4 hours ago, SirMirrorcoat said:

In addition to being a DD with invocations, could a bellower be decent at the front or is it a back-line unit?

Focusing on invocations sounds (haha) nice, though I fear that my stats wouldn't be that great for that, because of my low Dex... Guess my old stat spread from my talker-wizard would be more advantagous for that (M14 C08 D11 P15 I16 R14)?

yes. both my bellower and skald builds dual-wielded weapons and stayed up at the front. they weren't built to be tanks so wouldn't be able to survive dedicated enemy attention, but they weren't terribly squishy (though i did invest a bit in the gear and making sure i pick up tough; i play on PotD).

you could easily do a tank build, but i would stick with small shield (or else invocations get acc penalties), pick up the silver knight chant, and be either a bellower or troubadour. Skald really wants dual-wielding or single-weapon style to maximize on crits. i actually had a short run--abandoned for now--where i was building tekehu into kind of a DD+tank hybrid using hatchet/small shield plus silver knight to help tank and survive and it wasn't bad. in such a setup i would actually put more points into resolve and give up a few--one each from perception and intellect and maybe a couple from might. the incidental loss in net damage from each of those points may be made up for by the increasing returns you get from higher resolve on top of the other tanky stuff you'd be doing.

• Like 1