5 hours ago, Shai Hulud said:

@Elric Galad

We were talking about carnage in BPM earlier. I've been playing a forbidden fist / mage slayer and I could have sworn forbidden fist applied both carnage effects and blood storm effects to those in AOE, but now it looks like it's only triggering on normal attacks, so my question is whether carnage is meant to apply on forbidden fist attacks? Seems like it should since it is treated as a weapon in most respects. 

And I mean the raw damage, not like distributing enfeebled through the carnage area...

It would be better if it would, but even with Community Patch change, it still doesn't count as a weapon attack in all cases. 

It works for Focus, but for other effect it depends.

And it would be fairly technical to change (without further consequence such as enabling AoE enfeebled with AoE weapons). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

It would be better if it would, but even with Community Patch change, it still doesn't count as a weapon attack in all cases. 

It works for Focus, but for other effect it depends.

And it would be fairly technical to change (without further consequence such as enabling AoE enfeebled with AoE weapons). 

I did some more testing. Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming were distributing carnage, and this build is centered around crits so I was critting a lot which is why I didn't notice carnage wasn't working until later fighting the Guardian of Ukaizo with much lower accuracy. Neither carnage nor blood storm seems to work with forbidden fist attacks. 

That's really unfortunate...this would be a sick build if that worked correctly. I can still solo everything just based on how good FF is, and the action speed, damage, healing, etc. provided by barbarian brings a lot to the table, but carnage not working is definitely a bummer, particularly since energized works with carnage in BPM and thunderous blows -> energized with slayer's claw in hand.

Mage slayer also synergizes really well with forbidden fist because of the -25% hostile effect duration.

@Elric Galad

Got another question about carnage... is it supposed to proc on the thing you hit or just the things around it? I have a brute build I'm figuring out how to defeat HOW and at the point with two gigantic oozes, the carnage AOE is not large enough to hit both. It's kind of hard to see but these two screenshots are from the same attack. The first is rolling to hit the ooze, and I hit (not crit), then it rolls the carnage roll which crits and procs energized, interrupting the ooze. Basically it's rolling for interrupts twice on the primary target. Even if it's unintentional, probably a minor thing in most fights, though it might be the difference between this one being impossible and just really, really hard. 

EDIT- hang on, I keep uploading the same pic for some reason. Okay, it's correct now. Kinda blurry but you can see the second pic is the carnage roll for the same attack and both can interrupt. Which personally I'm fine with, just wondering if this is intended...

carnage1.jpg

carnage2 (2).jpg

Edited by Shai Hulud

Barbarian (witch) may be better for dealing with crowds that a rogue (mindstalker). But rogue is infinitely better at single-target DPS, which is what I need from a melee. Because, let's be honest, casters are kings when it comes to AOE damage. That's never a problem anyway.

5 hours ago, Shai Hulud said:

@Elric Galad

Got another question about carnage... is it supposed to proc on the thing you hit or just the things around it? I have a brute build I'm figuring out how to defeat HOW and at the point with two gigantic oozes, the carnage AOE is not large enough to hit both. It's kind of hard to see but these two screenshots are from the same attack. The first is rolling to hit the ooze, and I hit (not crit), then it rolls the carnage roll which crits and procs energized, interrupting the ooze. Basically it's rolling for interrupts twice on the primary target. Even if it's unintentional, probably a minor thing in most fights, though it might be the difference between this one being impossible and just really, really hard. 

EDIT- hang on, I keep uploading the same pic for some reason. Okay, it's correct now. Kinda blurry but you can see the second pic is the carnage roll for the same attack and both can interrupt. Which personally I'm fine with, just wondering if this is intended...

Carnage is not supposed to proc on your main target... but sometimes it does.

The predictable case is using pushing weapons (Llengrath warding staff). It basically push your target out the position where carnage doesn't work... so it works.

For similar reasons, it might proc on moving targets.

Not sure what cause the damages to apply in your particular case. Might have something to do with the size. Which would be ok since size prevents the effect from applying to other targets.

Anyone with further input on this would be welcome.

• Like 1

Just finished the Beast of Winter adventure with her. She's got to deliver the last hit to Rymrgand himself. :) Although I am not sure she dealth the most damage to him. At lvl20 it's really hard to beat Symbol of Eothas, Spark of the Righteous and Magran's might combined.

So in the boss fights Edwyn mostly ends up recharging these with Ancestral memories. Then again - hey, her being rogue means she can reliably deal damage to the boss and gain Focus to cast said Ancestral memories. :)

12 hours ago, Dmitri said:

Just finished the Beast of Winter adventure with her. She's got to deliver the last hit to Rymrgand himself. :) Although I am not sure she dealth the most damage to him. At lvl20 it's really hard to beat Symbol of Eothas, Spark of the Righteous and Magran's might combined.

So in the boss fights Edwyn mostly ends up recharging these with Ancestral memories. Then again - hey, her being rogue means she can reliably deal damage to the boss and gain Focus to cast said Ancestral memories. :)

In my parties Maia always does the most damage by like a mile. Just give her The Red Hand and stack a bunch of accuracy and -reload stuff (plus her gunhawk class is basically hax, gives her extra range to counter red hand's shorter range, plus interrupts, with no penalty). My main character is usually second by a wide margin, unless my main character is a high damage martial like a monk, in which case they might be close to Maia. The other three are always way behind. Of course damage is just one metric for measuring a character's usefulness. Chanters have huge utility with summons, heals, and buffs, and none of that is counted toward their damage count, for example. Same with characters built around healing and CC, they won't do much damage but could still be key to winning fights. 

DPS is the most overrated metric in this game imo. It's fun to see high damage numbers, no doubt, that's why I include at least one of those into the party (still in love with Helwalker/Berserker+Saru Sichr bc. it's such a fun Swift-Flurry crit machine) - but the most impactful characters I played so far were no damage dealers.

I guess Ydwin could be really fun as a Mindstalker with the Seeker's Fang. Those are potent (raw) dmg numbers. :) 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods