VR options

LadyCrimson

So, if I was interested in at least checking out VR, are there any cheaper options, outside of those ones meant for you to stick your mobile phone in?

Because right now it seems like Facebook/Oculus and Steam's are the two that still are made/exist and I don't want Facebook.  There were a couple others but most have halted production.  Steam's might be all right but I'd rather not spend that much when I'm not sure I'd care about VR past a few weeks.... 

Would the mobile phone ones give enough of an idea? I'm not sure there's even enough VR content on the phone I'd be interested in.  Plus it's largely "dead" tech I think.

There's also something called Windows Mixed Reality, which (seems) like it's not a specific headset itself but some kind of tech that...well I don't really understand it. But its title support is smaller.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never really tested any cheap alternatives myself, I got the HTC Vive Pro Eye since I wanted a relatively big area to play on and high precision tracking. I don't know to what degree this is correct, but any VR headset that doesn't use external sensors has problems with tracking your input, and that's not something I wanted to deal with.

And from what I know HTC still makes the Cosmos headset.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Considering how many of the cheaper alternatives have largely died out, it makes me wonder re: long term aspect of VR, which doesn't make me keen on spending $1k+ for it. 

Ah well. I'll guess I'll wait another year or two and see where it goes. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Considering how many of the cheaper alternatives have largely died out, it makes me wonder re: long term aspect of VR, which doesn't make me keen on spending $1k+ for it. 

Ah well. I'll guess I'll wait another year or two and see where it goes. 

I reckon the more expensive ones are hanging on only because of the high price really. Counting in the fact that I've bought the Steam Index VR controllers I'm up to a bit over 2000$ for all my kit. HTC Vive pro kit+ extra base station + index controllers.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

According to the internet, if you're not picky, it could be cheaper for me to fly to Sweden and back, to check out YOUR rig to see if I'd like it vs. buying one myself.   🤣 

Not  that I'm adverse to spending money overall, I just have to feel confident I'll get enough use from something.  And not be attached to Facebook. Pfft.

39 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

According to the internet, if you're not picky, it could be cheaper for me to fly to Sweden and back, to check out YOUR rig to see if I'd like it vs. buying one myself.   🤣 

Not  that I'm adverse to spending money overall, I just have to feel confident I'll get enough use from something.  And not be attached to Facebook. Pfft.

Hahaha! It's not far off, no 😄

I could've gotten off cheaper if I were to buy an index from the get-go. I'd have landed at about 1200$ instead. But the HTC Vive was available in a store (Very important to me) near me, the index is only from Steam. Came to use though since one of the base stations were damaged. That'd be one of the downsides of the base stations, they seem to be somewhat fragile.

• 10 months later...