Enemy feedback

Hey guys!

First of all I would like to tell you how much I love your game! What you're producing is amazing!

It's super addictive and captivating and after 20 hours of gameplay since last week, I can't wait to get of work so I can play more.

1. Lack of enemies - I feel like there could be A LOT more insects on the lawn. I run around exploring and don't see that many to be honest. I feel like I want to be swarmed, overwhelmd and run over if I run into a hoard or group of dangerous creatures.
    Maybe you're just targeting the more softcore audience, which is totally fine, but I myself truly enjoy the feeling of being beaten to death if I'm not careful and/or have the equipment for the task at hand.

2. More heavy hitters - I would very much like if the dangerous insects in the game could be more dangerous. Maybe add "events" where enemies goes on a rampage or charges at you in swarms?
    I feel like you could borrow ideas from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In BoTW it's VERY obvious if the enemies in the zone I'm exploring, is way above my gear level.

3. More content - You guys have done an amazing job at putting out content so far, please keep this up. I want to have a map the size of the map in GTA 5 or Far Cry 5 to explore. Go above and beyond! Maybe let us explore secret tunnels, a cave or a shed.

That's my two cents 😃

Edited by fknjerkz

• fknjerkz changed the title to Enemy feedback

I think point 1 (I also feel the low density of insects) and 2 (other than the wolf spider the game lacks some challenge) are fine, but having a map big as GTA 5 or Far Cry 5? That won't ever happen and I actually hope it wont. The amount of details and the diversity of the biomes makes them perfect imo, they wouldn't be able to maintain the level of details because, unlike GTA 5 and Far Cry 5's teams, the team behind Grounded is very small, also: just stretching the map and making the biomes bigger would make the diversity fall off, it would all feel the same and maintaining this level of biome diversity on map as big as GTA 5 would be impossible for bigger teams too, it is a lot of work. I'm sure they are planning on adding new biomes and making the map bigger, but I also hope they'll keep all the biomes unique to explore and/or playing and with the right size (too small wouldn't make the exploration interesting and too big makes everything feel the same)

• 1 year later...

1. That would be cool if you had a slider that allowed you to change the spawn rates of insects, from normal to hardcore, on top of the difficulty you choose to play on. Maybe they will add that in a future update, that would be cool to have control of.

2. I think they are now adding heavy hitting bugs, I mean if you don’t block the rolling attack of the Rolly Poly,with Ladybug Armor on, it will take about half your health away in Medium Mode. And those are the weaker versions, make me wonder what is in store for the future; especially with the termites being announced.

3. I would like to see a bigger map maybe, but not of the backyard; maybe that can be like in Act 2 of the storyline if they are thinking about doing the game in chapters. I think they are finally adding more to Act 1 of the story, especially with the release of the full game being a couple of months to a year away; then they might start on Act 2 if that is their plan still, and that can be a new addition to the map once Act 1 is completed by the player.

Let me know what you think, I like the ideas of fknjerkz in this suggestion and hope that this is an addition to the ideas.

I say each zone needs to have a boss like the broodmother and a sub boss that roams

Example for the hedge. As wee know broodmother for the boss but include a fence lizard (they are marginally bigger than a wolf spider depending on species) that actively hunts and will not shy away from stealing your kills and you

The oak tree for the boss I would suggest a tree frog. Lacking a tongue they are more active and tackle their food instead of the lick of doom. As far as a sub boss maybe centipedes.

• Hmmm 1

If you see light at the end of the tunnel get out of the road!

Uhm I think the first point could be a good idea only for swarms on your base, I like rn the number of insects on the map, is enough to give the feel and atmosphere that you can be attacked in any moment, having more numbers could feel like an mmo. And tbh looking how sometimes creatures end bugged, i dont know if adding more numbers could be good... not only in performance but it could be excesive, right now I see moments when black and red ants pack on one place, like 10 or 15 at the same time. Idk, atm I can walk like 10 min on the map and have more than 20 encounters with bugs, first days playing this game it was for me just avoiding everytime creatures here and there, now I have routes where I know I can walk more or less safe

But at the same time, if we get more traps, turrets or more defenses in general I dont mind to have swarms of creatures attacking your base of course...

At the second point, well... maybe its me but I play on medium, mild I think is called right? sometimes enemies like bombardier or even larvas hit me and I take too little hp, like 1 or 2%, others they just erase me with one or two attacks to the point of thinking this is like Dark souls 🤣, both examples with ladybug armor and shield. I know some of them have strategies and so but I think the damages are perfect, though heavy hitters will need more interesting mechanics than just hit you, like mini bosses... not normal or medium enemies.

third point well, yes its an EA game XD more content is coming if you see the "feature board" on the website, but I agree with Pellah, I hope map as big as gta is not comming (and I love big maps like AC odyssey gams), the actual map when I started felt small at first, till I discover more zones like the sand box or the picnic table, and assuming they are going to fill the rest of the "square" of the garden? its more than enough. A map as big as GTA5 means a tremendous work, looking at the detailed zones we have rn on the map, and it means we will definetly need something to travel fast, because no one is that masoquist to travel GTA5 walking XD.

My expectations on the map is the "square" map we already know and maybe for the future, some zones inside the house with new creatures and resources. But GTA size? that means you want a map the size of a big children's public park, not a small garden, in comparison to the gta map... the current map on grounded will be like having only the airport on GTA5 and obv walking, no vehicles XD.

EDIT: Returning to the heavy hitters and challenge that Jeannette Saunders mentioned, remember that not everyone has the same skill to play the game, I have friends struggling sometimes on the game with some creatures or having problems trying to perfect block, or just blocking. If anything creature density should be a server option or tied to the difficult setting. The feature board on the website already mentioned "More Control over World Options / Settings" so I expect we have more control on our game sessions like changing the weather (when added) how long is the night/day cicle, resource spawning time, creature density, difficulty etc...

Edited by MrSeriouscat