Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Personally unlike most others. I can't fathom seeing any point in Fighting creatures like the Raven and even the koi or toads/frogs. Because by shear scale compared to you. Who's just a little bigger than an ant. You're more a nuisance than a threat. So I think it's best that you CANT fight such creatures.

However, I still feel they still have a place in the game. And even in a sense where they can still be fought off. Just not killed. Due to once again...the scale in comparison to yourself. 8nstead Id like to suggest that because of how big these animals are. You can only hurt them in certain places at certain times. This doesn't kill them. But it does back them off to a point where after getting hit enough. It runs them off. Even making them drop certain rare high risk- high reward items. 

But most cases such interactions are avoidable. And other more common drops needed from said creatures can be dropped just by following them. Or hanging around an are they went through. For example...

Skink- large lizard that borrows under ground. It commonly drops shedded skin. Even when hit with a spear or bladed weapon. Once it's tail is chopped off. Damaging the weak point enough, chases off. It borrows back underground.

Raven- large species of crow that normally ignores you. It randomly drops feathers around the yard. If you climb it. You can hit it for down fluff. It hit in its eyes enough times. It will fly away.

Frog- hangs around the flooded area and in the pond. Hitting it drops mucous. It's weak point is the tip of its tongue. When it retreats it will leave mucous gland and feet webbing.

Toad- rules over the haze area. It's weak point is the same as the frog's. Hitting it drops mucous. Chasing it off drops toad class and venom sacs.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Personally unlike most others. I can't fathom seeing any point in Fighting creatures like the Raven and even the koi or toads/frogs. Because by shear scale compared to you. Who's just a little bigger than an ant. You're more a nuisance than a threat. So I think it's best that you CANT fight such creatures.

totally agree to this.

Questioning these ideas, they just don't make much sense to me.  

On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Skink- large lizard that borrows under ground. It commonly drops shedded skin. Even when hit with a spear or bladed weapon. Once it's tail is chopped off. Damaging the weak point enough, chases off. It borrows back underground.

the average skink, adult size, is roughly 5 inches from nose to tail base.  That'd give it's tail about the same diameter as the larger weeds.  and how would we chop off it's tail?   it's not going to just sit there and let us whack away at it, it'd eat us.

 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Raven- large species of crow that normally ignores you. It randomly drops feathers around the yard. If you climb it. You can hit it for down fluff. It hit in its eyes enough times. It will fly away.

Why?  we have the crow in game already.  ravens are bigger.  we could just have the crow do a random drop of feathers and down.  and hit it's eyes enough times?  you hit them once and the raven is going to retaliate, and we'd be a snack, if we survived being flung from it's head.

 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Frog- hangs around the flooded area and in the pond. Hitting it drops mucous. It's weak point is the tip of its tongue. When it retreats it will leave mucous gland and feet webbing.

and how will we hit the tip of the tongue?  when it shoots it out to eat us?  It wouldn't drop a mucous gland unless we killed it,  it can't just spit those out while running away, and feet webbing????

 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Toad- rules over the haze area. It's weak point is the same as the frog's. Hitting it drops mucous. Chasing it off drops toad class and venom sacs.

what is toad class?  and the rest is the same as the frog,  how?

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to post
Share on other sites

These ideas were only thrown out there as food for thought given that the devs could follow up the greater majority on fighting such collosal critters. As it's looking already like we might be able to just hit koi to get scales. My thinking was around the idea of hitting these creatures the same way. To farm various things off them. That's all. I'm not 100% with it. But it's just things to throw out.

Regarding the road class. It was supposed to be toad claws. Some odd reason my tablet's spell checker still auto corrects words that aren't even misspelled. It's frustrating. 

The feet webbing from the frog is just the membrane between the toes. These are just rough ideas. Due note that 7nlike my other posts. I haven't went into heavy details on any craftables with any of this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree that the focus of the game should primarily be around the smaller creatures. I like to think that the crow is more of a reference for scale and an opportunity to spook new players.

I hope if they do make it a dynamic part of the game, that the interaction is largely limited to fleeing from it for cover.

I would like to see many more bugs added (leeches come to mind) but I understand that it's a lot of work designing, concepting, modelling, rigging, texturing, animating, programming, testing, etc. 

Edited by ReteroX
Atrocious spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phyerboss said:

These ideas were only thrown out there as food for thought given that the devs could follow up the greater majority on fighting such collosal critters. As it's looking already like we might be able to just hit koi to get scales. My thinking was around the idea of hitting these creatures the same way. To farm various things off them. That's all. I'm not 100% with it. But it's just things to throw out.

Regarding the road class. It was supposed to be toad claws. Some odd reason my tablet's spell checker still auto corrects words that aren't even misspelled. It's frustrating. 

The feet webbing from the frog is just the membrane between the toes. These are just rough ideas. Due note that 7nlike my other posts. I haven't went into heavy details on any craftables with any of this. 

I get that, and i totally agree, we need ideas for the devs.  These just didn't make much sense to me, in how the game is now and where it could go from here, so i asked.  I wasn't trying to pick them apart and kill the ideas, really i just wanted clarification in case i was missing something obvious.  I'm not the sharpest knife in the block, lots of times i need things further explained to make sense and click in my brain.  Drives my son and my co-workers nuts at times  😂

 

@ReteroX  are leeches that small?  i like the idea, we need some type of danger in the flooded areas, just not sure what.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also agree, larger creatures would be an interesting added feature but could overly complicate the game.
Still don't understand the Crow though, it doesn't really fit with the style of the game.  They aren't exactly backyard birds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I get that, and i totally agree, we need ideas for the devs.  These just didn't make much sense to me, in how the game is now and where it could go from here, so i asked.  I wasn't trying to pick them apart and kill the ideas, really i just wanted clarification in case i was missing something obvious.  I'm not the sharpest knife in the block, lots of times i need things further explained to make sense and click in my brain.  Drives my son and my co-workers nuts at times  😂

 

@ReteroX  are leeches that small?  i like the idea, we need some type of danger in the flooded areas, just not sure what.

I'm not sure to be honest, I was just brainstorming. No doubt there is a species of leech that is smaller than the average... Leech size...

Edit: So apparently leeches of the class(infraclass apparently) Euhirudinea are roughly 1cm in size, so approximately 1/7th to 1/8th the size of a baseball. If you stretch the truth a little, you could make them a touch smaller, or even just include mostly juveniles.

I tend to start from a gameplay perspective first when I design things; for me, I want something else that could swim and maybe even have some limited ability to move around on land.

I also wanted it to be uniquely dangerous, perhaps it could apply a debuff such as bleeding with a specific attack animation, which would deal damage over time unless a bandage was used, or something to that effect.

The more interwoven the game's enemies, mechanics, and items become, the richer the experience.

Grounded is already a rich setting, it can only get better. 

 

Edited by ReteroX
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 5:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Personally unlike most others. I can't fathom seeing any point in Fighting creatures like the Raven and even the koi or toads/frogs. Because by shear scale compared to you. Who's just a little bigger than an ant. You're more a nuisance than a threat. So I think it's best that you CANT fight such creatures.

However, I still feel they still have a place in the game. And even in a sense where they can still be fought off. Just not killed. Due to once again...the scale in comparison to yourself. 8nstead Id like to suggest that because of how big these animals are. You can only hurt them in certain places at certain times. This doesn't kill them. But it does back them off to a point where after getting hit enough. It runs them off. Even making them drop certain rare high risk- high reward items. 

But most cases such interactions are avoidable. And other more common drops needed from said creatures can be dropped just by following them. Or hanging around an are they went through. For example...

Skink- large lizard that borrows under ground. It commonly drops shedded skin. Even when hit with a spear or bladed weapon. Once it's tail is chopped off. Damaging the weak point enough, chases off. It borrows back underground.

Raven- large species of crow that normally ignores you. It randomly drops feathers around the yard. If you climb it. You can hit it for down fluff. It hit in its eyes enough times. It will fly away.

Frog- hangs around the flooded area and in the pond. Hitting it drops mucous. It's weak point is the tip of its tongue. When it retreats it will leave mucous gland and feet webbing.

Toad- rules over the haze area. It's weak point is the same as the frog's. Hitting it drops mucous. Chasing it off drops toad class and venom sacs.

Ah yes. It's not like humanity has a history of using our ability to make tools and weapons and manipulating the environment around us to combat animals larger than us like, oh I don't know, Whales. And we most CERTAINLY weren't effective enough at it to, say, make them endangered or anything.

Blatant sarcasm aside, all it takes to combat larger creatures is larger and more powerful weapons. Ballasta, for instance. Harpoon guns with spider silk ropes you can anchor. Heck, most the animals you listed are big enough to swallow you whole, so a sharp enough knife or axe should be able to cut open their stomachs from the inside, and you could craft special armor (perhaps using mucus) that can protect you from stomach acid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, phyerboss said:

Personally unlike most others. I can't fathom seeing any point in Fighting creatures like the Raven and even the koi or toads/frogs. Because by shear scale compared to you. Who's just a little bigger than an ant. You're more a nuisance than a threat. So I think it's best that you CANT fight such creatures.

i still think he summed it up best in his opening paragraph.  all the animals mentioned would be in this description, except the leeches,  they do get small enough we could have them as a hazard for the flooded areas.

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...