I have an arcane knight and with draining wall I can stack all sorts of buffs and potion of final standing, so slowly chipping Hauni down isn't an issue. But I can't figure out how to reliably prevent the Gigantic Oozes from merging. My original strategy is to spam Concelhaut's Crushing Doom on both oozes to keep them constantly proned, but it just isn't reliable enough and a couple misses is all it takes for them to merge again. I've tried all sorts of ways to split the oozes so they don't stay together (with sleep and what not), but even after you manage to separate them, the unengaged one will roam in circle and eventually find his other friend.

What are some strategies against him? Note that I want to do this solo (I'm doing veteran, so should be easier than potd).

have you tried slicken? slicken would be extremely easy to recur with bloodmage, and you can target both gigantic oozes at the same time with each slicken. at gigantic and below, slicken should be fairly reliable at interrupting (it is so on potd, on veteran it should be even more reliable). i would argue slicken is in fact much better at the hauane fight than crushing doom. edit - you could even set up lots of slickens on hauane itself near the end so that when it dies, you already have slicken standing around to start interrupting the oozes. can't do that with crushing doom.

edit - also, a slightly flaky strategy is to go off to the top-right side of the map, then when they split, use a summon to keep one gigantic ooze busy and lure hte other to the opposite side (bottom-left) of hte map. if you do it right, when your summon disappears the gigantic ooze will stay on that right side of the map and will just be uninvolved for the rest of the fight (no merge attempt). it's kind of flaky, but i've pulled it off a couple times. might be an idea for a last resort.

Edited by thelee

If you wait for triggering brilliant  you should have 0 issue with killing it with crushing doom, in that movie is generic hired char (max per/ 12 might/ droped resolve) without any bonuses like food, fancy gear etc, just with 2 grimoires(Aloth and Concelhaut) and brilliant cape. Due the lack of pen/better gear its a grind during first stage but it should give you idea how to position yourself so you wont loose buffs by staying with symbiot, have enough targets for draining wall and how to proceed after first stage. There are other ways (abusing deltro, blade cascade, draining touch etc) that you can look up on Ultimate runs but using crushing doom its proven strategy.

edit. it's on PotD lv 19 garrote/bm

Edited by Waski

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

9 hours ago, thelee said:

have you tried slicken? slicken would be extremely easy to recur with bloodmage, and you can target both gigantic oozes at the same time with each slicken. at gigantic and below, slicken should be fairly reliable at interrupting (it is so on potd, on veteran it should be even more reliable). i would argue slicken is in fact much better at the hauane fight than crushing doom. edit - you could even set up lots of slickens on hauane itself near the end so that when it dies, you already have slicken standing around to start interrupting the oozes. can't do that with crushing doom.

edit - also, a slightly flaky strategy is to go off to the top-right side of the map, then when they split, use a summon to keep one gigantic ooze busy and lure hte other to the opposite side (bottom-left) of hte map. if you do it right, when your summon disappears the gigantic ooze will stay on that right side of the map and will just be uninvolved for the rest of the fight (no merge attempt). it's kind of flaky, but i've pulled it off a couple times. might be an idea for a last resort.

Great. Slicken sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried that. Although I'd imagine you still want to put slicken and crushing doom no? Or else there'd be no damage to kill the oozes.

I've also tried that summon distract idea. Maybe they've changed it in the latest patch, but what I see right now is that after the unengaged one finished off the summon, it won't stay in one place but roam in circles, and so eventually he'll run into his friend (who's engaged with me).

2 hours ago, Waski said:

If you wait for triggering brilliant  you should have 0 issue with killing it with crushing doom, in that movie is generic hired char (max per/ 12 might/ droped resolve) without any bonuses like food, fancy gear etc, just with 2 grimoires(Aloth and Concelhaut) and brilliant cape. Due the lack of pen/better gear its a grind during first stage but it should give you idea how to position yourself so you wont loose buffs by staying with symbiot, have enough targets for draining wall and how to proceed after first stage. There are other ways (abusing deltro, blade cascade, draining touch etc) that you can look up on Ultimate runs but using crushing doom its proven strategy.

edit. it's on PotD lv 19 garrote/bm

This is quite odd. I can never get the crushing doom to stack so much on the Gigantic Ooze. It misses too much and resets after a couple misses...

12 hours ago, depthcharge101 said:

Great. Slicken sounds like a good idea, I haven't tried that. Although I'd imagine you still want to put slicken and crushing doom no?

slicken and whatever you got for damage. i'm mostly just focusing on solving the "they keep seeming to get away with a merge" problem.

iirc hauane is weak to frost - on gigantic form and lower you might be better off using something like freezing pillar to do lots of damage, in an area - also helps for the smaller oozes because there can be a lot of them, they will merge aggressively at 100%, and you want to get rid of them as fast as you can. but keep in mind i don't have alot of experience solo-ing megabosses, all my efforts (except for a tactician/skaen) were party efforts, so i don't know if it will necessarily work out well for you.

Edited by thelee