I have currently in my party a fighter (my main character), a mage, and a priest. I have not put any skill points into mechanics with anyone just yet, but I am curious and wanted to ask more experienced players if I should put some points into mechanics, for opening locks, disarming traps, and the like. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Yes! You'll need it to not only pick locks and find and disram traps but also to find secrets stashes! 

The higher mechanics on one guy the better. The easiest way to get high mechanics fast is to hire a rogue adventurer with a fitting background from any tavern.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

19 hours ago, NeveroddorveN said:

I have currently in my party a fighter (my main character), a mage, and a priest. I have not put any skill points into mechanics with anyone just yet, but I am curious and wanted to ask more experienced players if I should put some points into mechanics, for opening locks, disarming traps, and the like. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Most usefull skill through the game, because of traps, hidden objects and locked chests. Just use one of your companions, that puts everything in to it, Rogue is the best class for it, because he gets a natural bonus to it and he can just go invisible if enemies spot you.

The least usefull for a party is stealth, after athletics i would say. Scrolls are always handy, but with a priest, you can just buff you up anyway.

The mechanics requirements are fairly steep. I think the highest required is 13 or 14 for a.durgan stash in Longwatch.

I suggest dedicating a character to mechanics since it will eat up almost all your skill points for the first 12 levels or so, not leaving room for much.

2 hours ago, mr_raider said:

The mechanics requirements are fairly steep. I think the highest required is 13 or 14 for a.durgan stash in Longwatch.

I suggest dedicating a character to mechanics since it will eat up almost all your skill points for the first 12 levels or so, not leaving room for much.

Dungeon Delver +1, Mechanic Gloves +2, Caed Nua resting bonus +2 and i believe there are random scrolls that provide +2 or +3 mechanics, but they are rare.

The highest is, i believe, 16 at concelhauts location, but you can open it with bobby pins with 14 mechanics.