Considering making my own game (RPG)

Jayzon

How's ya all? I've gamed so much in my life (i guess it would be almost 2 decades by now) that i'm slowly becoming resistant to the entertainment these games provide. One would think that you just need a break but I had quite long break and it didnt help at all.

This made me think that I actually should try to make my own game. You know, sometimes the games I played felt like the person behind them (CEO or developers, or both) never really played games much at all in his lifetime. Seriously. I mean probably a lot of game developers and CEOs are passionate about gaming, but also probably a lot of them arent.

I would like to code role playing game, something simple for now. However im not sure how to start - Ive learned some basics of Javascript but somewhere along the way I realised that this language can be executed by browsers only lol ! Anyway other langauges seem similar, just which one should I learn to make games is what I dont know

Edited by Jayzon

Download the RPG Maker and click some stuff together. Build a small prototype - as small as possible and then go from there.

Once that is done, you can start thinking of custom engines and whatever else. It doesn't make sense thinking about such stuff if you don't even know the basics yet.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 5

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yep, I agree with Lexx. RPG Maker is a perfect starting point for creating a game. Lots of art assets, tutorials, etc. to get into it.

RPG Maker MV is the most recent release, and probably the easiest to jump into. But they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Hurlshot

On 2/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, Jayzon said:

How's ya all? I've gamed so much in my life (i guess it would be almost 2 decades by now) that i'm slowly becoming resistant to the entertainment these games provide. One would think that you just need a break but I had quite long break and it didnt help at all.

This made me think that I actually should try to make my own game. You know, sometimes the games I played felt like the person behind them (CEO or developers, or both) never really played games much at all in his lifetime. Seriously. I mean probably a lot of game developers and CEOs are passionate about gaming, but also probably a lot of them arent.

I would like to code role playing game, something simple for now. However im not sure how to start - Ive learned some basics of Javascript but somewhere along the way I realised that this language can be executed by browsers only lol ! Anyway other langauges seem similar, just which one should I learn to make games is what I dont know

That's common, I also have a lot of experience gaming and now when I play games im more like observator than a part of it, I simply don't care more. 

If you want to use JavaScript then use a library, Babylon or Phaser. Babylon is for 3D only. But it would be better if you just used a game engine because they're so much better than libraries.

I recommend you to use Unity and here's a quite good free tutorial for newbies (link) in fact Unity is most popular Engine and it can create game of any kind. There were many great games made in Unity that later sold like crazy. If you want to use Unity then learn C# first