I realize that's probably an oxymoron, but are there any low-micro Monk builds? The whole reason I've never touched the class is because I hear they're high-micro. Do they have any lower micro options, or are they designed more like Ciphers where they're just mechanically that way?

I thought the same as you but played multiple PotD runs with them now and they're so strong.

Sure, if not doing a theme or min/max there's plenty especially tanky frontliners.  Typically to get them really tanky you minimize Dexterity which limits there weapon damage, you can choose to rely more on retaliation which mean's maximizing might+con and not increasing Res or they will never hit you.  I used very similar build to Monksterlash and just switched on/off the AI to let it use Swift Strikes and/or Torments Reach.  If want it even simpler and not use AI i'd just focus on retaliation and debuffs, will just be relying on rest of group for damage.

There's a lot of abilities that are strong and don't require management:

1. Swift Strikes / Torments Reach

3. Turning Wheel

5. Soul Mirror (if using AI then Swift Strikes / Torments Reach)

7. Rooting Pain (damage isn't great but its a passive and can interrupt)

9. Duality of Mortal Presence

11. Iron Wheel

13. Enervating Blows

15. Crucible of Suffering

Force Of Anguish is very useful for when taking too much damage but shouldn't have to use it often.  Could replace Swift Strikes, Torments Reach, Soul Mirror or Rooting Pain for it.

This gives a very tanky character if you've dumped Dex to boost MIG & CON.  After that PER, INT and RES depends what you want.  I think a retaliation with some debuff build is simple and effective as a lot of good items need you to be hit or you to hit enemies and a couple need crits.  Hence would increase PER and/or INT and not increase RES.

Race I went Fire Godlike for the retaliation when < 50% health but I found it hard to micro it so i'd just go with a standard tanky race for ease of use.

Talents are mostly Defensive.  If letting AI use Torments+Swift for you then opens up Offensive talents and Fire+Lightning utility otherwise not worth it.  Maybe Vulnerable Attack to help retaliation damage.

Weapons have a lot of options, could just use Fists for traditional monk style.  If using Torments then can use any good damage options or try Monksterlash.  If going more retalation / debuff i'd look for weapons that give "Guarding" or debuff on hit but not chance based and don't need a crit as not stacking accuracy buffs and slow attack speed. Things like Captain Viccilos Anger, St Wygelts Cudgel, The Vile Loners Lance etc.

Armour:

• He Caries Many Scares - High DR plus Extra DR in emergencies and Regen to keep health topped up.

Helm (if not godlike):

• Garodhs Chorus - I prefer Preservation over Retaliation but I used AI controlled Torments Reach for more damage.
  • Tempered Helm - More might and elemental DR, various affliction defence but get hit more from -Def... but if retaliating they're hurting themselves!
  • He Caries Many Scares - +ATH for healing burst if needed and Stun+Prone defence which can't be defended by a Priest.
  • Executioners Hood - Accuracy when missed by attack is wasted but Frightens in AOE which could be useful if no one else in group does it.

Belts:

• Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer - Flame Shield when your crit so don't have to drink a potion.  Firebrand and Torrent of Flame is a bit wasted but also get Might and Int in one item (plus dex).
  • Binding Rope applies stuck and gives CON if want debuffs from belt

Rings:

• Ring Iron Circle for more tankiness from DR in an emergency and CON or the usual +Def or +others.
  • Ring of Protection
  • Ring of Deflection

Gloves:

• Blood Testament Gloves for more damage (applies to retaliation and strikes)
  • Gloves Glittering Gauntlets causes Dazed when you hit them or they hit you and gives Deflection

Cloaks

• Cloak of Protection
  • Cloak of Comfort
  • Hiros Mantle (the only retaliation item i'd consider but rarely)

Boots:

• Shod In Faith - AOE healing
  • Boots of Stability - Defend Prone / Push attacks
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jintegrity said:

I realize that's probably an oxymoron, but are there any low-micro Monk builds? The whole reason I've never touched the class is because I hear they're high-micro. Do they have any lower micro options, or are they designed more like Ciphers where they're just mechanically that way?

The usual monk is micro heavy. Especially Torment's Reach (which is the most powerful ability the monk has in my opinion) needs a lot of micromanagement to be effective.

I once made a special disabler monk who was supposed to be run by AI mostly and who skipped Torment's Reach: 

It worked quite well. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods