I have tried to get into PoE twice already.  I got close to the end of Act 1 and then ended up putting it on the backburner for a while.  By the time I picked it back up each time I was completely lost in multiple parts of the game.  I can get through the mechanics by refreshing, but my main issue has been level progression for my pc and companions.  Since I can't figure out exactly what I was using to help guide each build, I end up starting over.  I analyze each level up way too much (good for later playthroughs, but my first not so much).

Does anyone know of a guide that has suggested level progression for companions, along with a general walkthrough so I have an idea what order to do things in (the purpose here is I'm always afraid of a decision or missing quest screwing me over later).  I also want to get the best ending, and I dont want to make bad decisions for carryover into PoE2.  I understand that part of the fun is diving in and figuring things out, but I am having a lot of trouble with that on my first playthrough.  I am getting information overload out there with all the different builds for different versions while none seem to be for the story companions.

I am thinking about using this ranged cipher build as my pc https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871584933  but open to other suggestions.  I think I'd enjoy anything that works well.  I really want to stick with the story companions, but need help with their builds.  I don't need to build the perfect party, but I would like to have a party with the story companions that is formiddable on Hard difficulty. Any other suggestions would be great, and I plan on bookmarking the sites I use for my next playthrough when I start over again, so I can set the game down and pick it up as life dictates.

So, in short advice on my PC would be great, and hopefully a single guide/walkthrough reference that will help me with the story companions, decision making for end and PoE2 carry over, and a general order to follow for locations/quests.

Thank you ahead of time for any replies.

I have a couple of thoughts and one is to try not to be a perfectionist to the point of actually never seeing the whole game.  Easy to say and harder to do and I have restartitus sometimes too.

For the companions I looked at some posted in the builds section and tried to determine if the fixed part of the companion set at level 1 is compatible or incompatible with a suggested build and can it be tweaked to do the same job?

Edit: for example I read of a druid disabler (build) who stacks defensive talents and then debuffs enemies with druid spells.  Haeravias was not missing something needed to do this idea though he isn't optimized for it.

Edited by claudius

I use the companions on PotD and don't need to min/max them all.  Just need a good balance and game understanding which really you'll only get from playing.  Learning what enemies do what like confuse/paralyze etc so you can counter them and get control of the fight rather than responding and losing control.

Once into act2 you can make lots of gold to reroll and try different abilities/talents etc.  Especially if you take a weapon spec then find a weapon later you want to give them.

In general act 1 is more about armour and weapons then progresses more into buff/rebuff, especially as you open up more spell levels (druid, wizard, priest) so can be casting for most of a fight where early on you would run out of spells in one fight.

Ranged cipher is a favourite of mine as CC + Damage, just used one with stormcaller as I didn't have a ranger. Lots of weapon options though I'd focus on those that are damage focused rather than other enchantment.  Early on focus on accuracy and damage, 10 extra focus wont go far if you cant hit or get past enemy DR with your attacks.

Eder will be the main tank early, keep it simple and stack damage&accuracy and self healing. I like 2 hander with a weapon + shield as backup if taking too much damage or cc'd.

Durance early on will have to help protect your cipher and hit things with weapon but don't think of him as a main tank as he's too squishy.  Heavy armour with weapon&shield but later just casts.  With some of his later spells he can be very powerful.

Aloth isn't a great damage dealer due to attributes but can debuff well and do good damage.  Probably earliest Raw damage source so hand vs high DR enemies early in the game.

Kana is a bit squishy early but can do a tanky build once stack talents and armour + shield.  Alternatively can have him ranged to buff other ranged characters.

If using other characters or want more detail just ask! It's easier to answer specifically than being general as who you have in group might affect what they need to do.

Edited by summatsupeer