You need to let us save on supernova

In open world rpg's like this where you can spend a large amount of time doing a single quest, it is incredibly frustrating to lose hours of progress just because you died. I don't see what removing this feature adds to the game, it just frustrates me. I want the extra challenge of the difficulty, but why must I lose a basic game function in order to get it? 

• Thanks 1

I've never quite understood what savegame limitation has to do with difficulty.

It's just a stupid nuisance when you can't save wherever you want.

The whole limited savegame mechanic is a leftover from arcade games and consoles with limited memory. It's about time we stopped limiting them as a means to "increase" difficulty. 

Edited by Lord Grievous
Spelling
  • Thanks 2

At the very least, can we PLEASE have save on quit patched into Supernova. 

if I have to stop a game because my kids or family need something, I don’t have time to locate the nearest transition where the game will auto save. I need to save and quit now!

Respect the player’s time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Lord Grievous said:

I've never quite understood what savegame limitation has to do with difficulty.

It's just a stupid nuisance when you can't save wherever you want.

The whole limited savegame mechanic is a leftover from arcade games and consoles with limited memory. It's about time we stopped limiting them as a means to "increase" difficulty. 

save-scumming is an obvious way to lower difficulty 

having said that, the lack of in-depth gameplay and hud customization are my biggest peeves in gaming!

for example, i would absolutely turn ON supernova (customized pc/enemy bullet-sponge ratios with a slider) with perma-death, companion perma, encumbrance limitations, limited saving (no scumming), no fast travel, etc..

as well, for arguments sake- almost all games cater to the other side of the debate:  i almost ALWAYS am forced to implement superficial self-imposed restrictions with no in-game mechanic

the more pre-game options the better

19 hours ago, thearmourofGod said:

this is not an open-world game; its hub-style

im only on terra2 but there are autosave spots EVERYwhere and they are all close

i love the forced, in-game mechanic that eliminates save-scumming

as for difficulty, i want it harder with more survival mechanics and harsher in-game consequences

Fine, Hub-style, semantics... 

Let's just say there are areas far larger than Emerald Vale with far sparser transition points. 

Allow me to point out a logical inconsistency in your statement. You say you love that you can't save the game whenever you want, yet you're suggesting the use of autosave spots, which is essentially a means of saving the game whenever you want (if a tedious and restrictive one). So you're not advocating for the elimination of save-scumming, but rather for tedium? 

In what ways would save-scumming lower difficulty in this game, especially if lets say you were restricted to one main save-slot on Supernova? 

Well that's the thing, you're not forced to impose those artificial restrictions, you have the ability to choose to restrict your saves, and that's a good thing for an RPG. On the other hand, in the current system, I can't choose to save the game at my leisure, and that's not making things more difficult, it's just archaic and poor game design. As you said, I can always fast travel back to my ship, save, and then walk all the way back through all that empty space (because I killed/looted everything on this path already) to get back to where I was. It takes one out of the experience, but it's what one has to do in order to not loose hours of progress. 

Edited by Cato1993
Forgot a comma.

3 hours ago, Cato1993 said:

Fine, Hub-style, semantics... 

Let's just say there are areas far larger than Emerald Vale with far sparser transition points. 

Allow me to point out a logical inconsistency in your statement. You say you love that you can't save the game whenever you want, yet you're suggesting the use of autosave spots, which is essentially a means of saving the game whenever you want (if a tedious and restrictive one). So you're not advocating for the elimination of save-scumming, but rather for tedium? 

In what ways would save-scumming lower difficulty in this game, especially if lets say you were restricted to one main save-slot on Supernova? 

Well that's the thing, you're not forced to impose those artificial restrictions, you have the ability to choose to restrict your saves, and that's a good thing for an RPG. On the other hand, in the current system, I can't choose to save the game at my leisure, and that's not making things more difficult, it's just archaic and poor game design. As you said, I can always fast travel back to my ship, save, and then walk all the way back through all that empty space (because I killed/looted everything on this path already) to get back to where I was. It takes one out of the experience, but it's what one has to do in order to not loose hours of progress. 

to think the differences between hub and open is semantics is ridiculous

no, i said i love that i cant save-scum.  again, not semantics.  as well, i am stating the auto-save prevalence for YOU.  (lol, notwithstanding, i am only in the vale)

using autosaves as a “dont want to lose a lot of progress and repeat” tactic or “save upon quit” is nothing like save-scumming

for me, there is no “tedium” as it eliminates save-scumming, forces me to play intelligently, yet, allows for a quick save if i need to stop playing

i need to tell you how save scumming makes a game unbelievably easier? i and im sure millions of others have mastered save-scumming, lol and the time spent deleting all those saves is especially fun 😉 

as ive always said, in almost ALL games (console) i am “forced” to add self-imposed restrictions because there arent ANY games that  actually add those harsh, difficult, complex, immersive, realistic, mod-like mechanics within the actual game.

my survival style of play always has to do be done in my head because there are NO alternatives

having said all that, i am NOT against “save anywhere” 

i simply stated a truth: I like not being able to save-scum AS AN ACTUAL gameplay mechanic (same with fast travel, for example)

i am an advocate of gameplay and hud (and map) customization

btw, MANY games dont have the save anywhere feature and so to say it is archaic is false

as well, on all other difficulties can you save anywhere? thus, it was a purposeful design choice for one difficulty

its refreshing to finally get a game that adds such in-game features (semi-perma-companion death also) on its most difficult, Optional level

for me, id rather they just significantly up the difficulty for all the difficulties and let us customize

* and dont forget—the game saves BEFORE fast-traveling to your ship 

Edited by thearmourofGod
  • Like 1

I'm not sure you understand what the term semantics means... Allow me to rephrase my sentiment in manner in which you may understand. The distinction between a hub-style game and an open-world style game is irrelevant to my argument. 

Right, but I fail to see the distinction between one method of saving and the other besides that one takes considerably more time and nothing more. There is no thought that must go into it, no feat of skill, I must simply quick travel back to my ship all the way on the other side of Monarch and than walk back to where I was. Please do show me at which point in time is difficulty being introduced in this process, as I cannot find it.  

You dislike save save-scumming, yet have mastered it? Strange... But do explain how it would make the game easier. 

Again, there's nothing external forcing you to add these restrictions to yourself, force that comes from within the individual is called will and the resulting action choice. Anyway, you're getting slightly off topic here, the sole mechanic (or rather lack thereof) I'm criticizing is the means of saving on supernova difficulty. 

Well it is by definition archaic, simply because other games do it or that it may add a great deal to those game, does not make it any less so. 

Are we to then regard the creators of the game as divine architects incapable of error or fault? No, they are human beings, and as is in human nature, they too can be mistaken. 

It saves to the point to before you fast travel to the ship!? Then what is your argument here!? Might as well just add the bloody feature of saving anywhere if they're going to do that! 

lol

as i responded to your opening words in your first comment, hub-style and open world is not semantics

as well, on supernova, in TOW you CAN save anywhere (fast travel to ship) and there are many autosave opportunities

as i also clearly stated, there is a huge difference between “save anywhere” and the system TOW has

it is clearly not semantics

if YOU fail to see the difference then whats your point? besides telling me you didnt actually research the topic thoroughly on your own and now are just arguing because you dont like the reasons why i am ok with this method of saving

again, NO, you do not “have” to fast travel then walk back because you can simply reload and you will be right there again

good grief man:  yes, ive “mastered” lol save-scumming.  yes, ive used it extensively on other games in the 4 decades of gaming ive had

lol, again, the game “forces” me to add restrictions because there are NO IN-GAME MECHANICS; anybody who is a “willpower” advocate simply does NOT understand the debate or is willfully obstinate

very simple to understand; as simple as understanding how save-scumming makes a game easier

TOW on supernova allows one to save at any time via fast traveling back to the ship as it saves before teleporting

btw, games have had “save anywhere” and “autosave” systems since gaming began;  neither are “archaic”

they are purposeful design decisions, one of which, you dont like (i dont like limited auto-save ONLY either)

thankfully, TOW is a hybrid system that combines the two very well; it makes save scumming TEDIOUS, yet, still allows “save upon quit” 

lol, MY argument?!  im simply telling you that you are incorrect and you CAN save at anytime and then adding a bit more info so you have a better idea where im coming from

again, i like save-anywhere.  however, i like gameplay and hud customization best.

Edited by thearmourofGod