PC Performance?

This guy has said that, running the game with a 2080 Ti at max settings on 1440p, he gets FPS drops to 50 or below. This is a little worrying, I'm afraid, since I'm wondering how my 980 Ti will do if a 2080 Ti can't cut it for solid 1440p 60FPS.

I don't know if anyone from Obsidian could answer this, but are there plans to try to further optimize the game?

I did fine at 4k with my 1080, although I'm rather inured to poor performance unless there's a lot of screen tearing, so what I found acceptable someone else might not have enjoyed. Any new game is going to have software and hardware stacks out there it doesn't care for. There will definitely be performance improvements in the future, Obsidian has a long track record of good support for their games. If there are common threads to people having issues, they'll figure out what they are and work to fix those that are able to be identified.

PC game QA is tricky because there's no telling what you'll see in the wild, nice new hardware, even that covering a broad spectrum of components isn't going to have the "lived in" nature of systems with a dozen applications running in the background and who knows what peripherals attached. I played a game once where I got maybe a half a dozen frames a minute performance, and yes, I definitely mean a minute. Turned out to be my Saitek keyboard, I had to go nuke some USB drivers nestled down in my HID devices for the game to even get to a point where I could interact with the options menu. I'd never have diagnosed that myself, fortunately that game had been out awhile and others had identified the culprit, that's just an example of the wild world of PCs.

If you're concerned you could give it some time, but if you're running Windows 10 fully updated, it's a buck for new customers to get the Microsoft Xbox Games Pass for PC for 30 days. At that price point I feel comfortable saying I've spent more money driving to get things for "free".

There's no massive difference between options and you might want to turn off post processing stuff like chromatic aborration anyway. So, don't be afraid to turn some settings a little lower to compensate until (if) there is a performance patch.

Even with a 1080ti or 20xx people always seem surprised how hard 4K / 60 gaming is to achieve -  after all its 4 times the work of 1080p. In game its actually quite hard to appreciate the visual difference and many games like Gears 5 adaptive scale the rendering knowing that framerate is the most important factor

On a 1080ti Ive settled on 4K Ultra but with 3D rendering resolution right back to under 60% and dialed back shadows too which is always a good setting to tweak on most games. This keeps the framerate solid 60 with the GPU not stressed.

If they had used HDR that would have improved visuals more than 4K or endless GFX settings.

I am still getting some random hitches and it has annoyed me enough that I think I will just wait for a patch. The hitches have nothing to do with the game being demanding as  I am playing at 1440p and gpu usage on my 1080 ti is no where near maxed out when they occur.