Bug in Beast of Winter fight

Grone

Question

The Beast of Winter Dragon fight is easily the worst designed encounter in both Pillars fights. I'm playing on PotD, and generally the difficulty has been nowhere near as hard as Pillars 1. I've completed almost all content at this point never having to reload more than 2 or 3 times on the hardest fights.

Having fought the dragon multiple times at multiple different levels, my party consisting of Paladin/Chanter, Xoti, Tekehu, Serafen and Maia completely stalemate the fight due to my party's self-heal and the Dragon's ditto + its Llengrath's Safeguard. Since I have no arcane dampener and haven't leveled Maia Rua's tranq shot, I can't get rid of the safeguard.

Due to Beast of Winter encounters being designed for boring tank-bloat instead of the enemies being threatening, this results in 30-40 minute fights with the drake in which none of my party members die, but they also can't kill the dragon.

In my latest attempt I have leveled to 18 and Legendary-enchanted Maia Rua's Red Hand in an attempt to brute force the encounter. And it actually seem to work! After 37 minutes of combat the dragon was brought to about 50% of its last health bar, and it seemed like I was doing 5-6 more damage than her self heal, so the end was in sight.

Then she used her jump ability and never came down. The fight was caught in an eternal stalemate of buggyness.

I cannot begin to describe the feeling of frustration caused by first such poor encounter design and now a fight-stopping bug on top.

Edited by Grunker

1 answer to this question

Hello Grunker,

I'm sorry the combat has been giving you issues.  Would you be able to provide us with a save file where these issues are occurring so the team can investigate this with the party you have?  If the save is too big to attach to this thread, would you be able to send it to me at support@obsidian.net along with your forum user name and a link to this thread to be used as a reference.  If needed, you can find information on where the saves are kept here.

Thank you Grunker, and sorry for the experience you have had during these combats.