Hi there, im planning a new play true and are starting theorycraft my new group composition. There are 2 spots in my group i cannot define yet. I hope you have some thoughts how to fill in these roles.

My Framework:

- I like the group formation: 2.1.2 (2 tanks in front, support in the middle, 2 ranged dps)

- I prefer fun game mechanics over max dps  

My Current group design:

Role: Main Tank                               Role: Off Tank                    
        Sec Role: AOE DPS                         Sec Role: AOE DPS/ Sustained ranged DPS if necessary
        Pref Clas: Arcane Knight                  Pref Clas: Battlemage
        Subclasses: St Elga/ Enchanter       Subclasses: Black Jacket / Unbroken/ Evoker

Role: Support
                                            Sec Role: Off tank/ DPS/ Healer/ Buffer
                                            Pref Clas : Universalist
                                            Subclasses : Fury/ Pries of Wael

Role : Ranged Crowd Control         Role: Ranged DPS
        Sec Role: Ranged DPS                   Sec Role: ?
        Pref Clas: ??                                   Pref Clas: ??
        Subclas: ??                                     Sub Clas: ??  

Question: As you can see i need help defining my back row. I'm thinking of a Mindstalker or Inquisitor on my left flank and a Scout on my right flank. There is some nice synergy between deceptions spells and sneak attack.

So far the Arcane Knight, Battlemage and the Universalist have proven to me they are vital in my group composition. But when finding the ultimate back row ranged dps twins, i keep failing and failing. What i hope to find is a setup of 2 members who synchronise so well that 1 + 1 = 3. Perhaps you have some nice new ideas i can try or will inspire me.

Regards

Dracul

Edited by draculdracul
  • Like 1

Hi there, im planning a new play true and are starting theorycraft my new group composition. There are 2 spots in my group i cannot define yet. I hope you have some thoughts how to fill in these roles.

My Framework:

- I like the group formation: 2.1.2 (2 tanks in front, support in the middle, 2 ranged dps)

- I prefer fun game mechanics over max dps  

My Current group design:

Role: Main Tank                               Role: Off Tank                    

Sec Role: AOE DPS                         Sec Role: AOE DPS/ Sustained ranged DPS if necessary

Pref Clas: Arcane Knight                  Pref Clas: Battlemage

Subclasses: St Elga/ Enchanter       Subclasses: Black Jacket / Unbroken/ Evoker

Role: Support

Sec Role: Off tank/ DPS/ Healer/ Buffer

Pref Clas : Universalist

Subclasses : Fury/ Pries of Wael

Role : Ranged Crowd Control         Role: Ranged DPS

Sec Role: Ranged DPS                   Sec Role: ?

Pref Clas: ??                                   Pref Clas: ??

Subclas: ??                                     Sub Clas: ??  

Question: As you can see i need help defining my back row. I'm thinking of a Mindstalker or Inquisitor on my left flank and a Scout on my right flank. There is some nice synergy between deceptions spells and sneak attack.

So far the Arcane Knight, Battlemage and the Universalist have proven to me they are vital in my group composition. But when finding the ultimate back row ranged dps twins, i keep failing and failing. What i hope to find is a setup of 2 members who synchronise so well that 1 + 1 = 3. Perhaps you have some nice new ideas i can try or will inspire me.

Regards

Dracul

Not much advice myself, as I am relative newb, but I am interested in the answers as well - since you are running the same 2 melee - 1 support - 2 ranged set-up I use. (We must have read the same group composition guides!)

are you completely rolling fresh characters or going to lean any on existing protagonists?

for ranged cc+secondary DPS using a protagonist, maia as a geomancer is pretty good; gunhawk is just a stupid good ranger subclass and her starting armor is great, and I think you get a lot of supplemental utility from a geomancer over a scout. ydwin as a cipher+rogue is also good. if you're rolling your own, i am a huge fan of beguilers for ranged cc over either a geomancer (even a gunhawk one) or mindstalker; a single-class beguiler also gets quick access to arguably one of the most powerful abilities in the game (PL7 ancestor's memory). tricksters are also fun with all their guile-based illusion spells (including some really powerful ones late-game) while also getting traditional rogue attacks and sneak attack for dps.

you could try doing a beguiler + trickster pairing. beguiler's soul whip mechanics is sneak-attack-like and appropriately using the beguiler's cc on sneak-attack-vulnerable target gets you lots of uptime on crowd control due to all the focus generation, which in turn helps both the beguiler and trickster do damage.

Edited by thelee

Hi Thelee, thank you for you're advices. I made a Beguiler/ Trickster and i love it. Its fun and effective. Both in DPS and in CC.For the sec dps i made a Spell blade. I choose Assassin and hope with the utility of a wizard i can make stealth attack work for me this time.

I also did not know about the spell Ancestors memory. I normally skip this because i didn't actually knew what it did. I'm sure going to try this on my Spell blade. To bad that sneak attack wont apply on magical attacks ;(.

Have you any advice for Grimoire on this Ranged DPS Spell blade?

Again, many tx!!

Dracul

Edited by draculdracul