[BoW] Constant Crashes, likely due to VFX

Agarwaen

Question

Hi everyone,
I managed to finish the base game a few months ago without getting too many crashes.

However, now that I started playing the Beast of Winter DLC, I get constant crashes.
And I'm talking not just about the Crashes to Desktop (CTDs). No, I experience video driver crashes that force me to reboot the computer :(
This is getting VERY annoying to the point that I can't play the game.

Majority of the crashes happen in combat, when my party or the enemy are casting spells. Fire spells are notably bad and almost immediately cause a crash. This made me stop using these spells altogether :/

I managed to find a spot where the crash happens 100% (for me) - it's in the Temple of Decline when you meet the dragon.
Just walking up towards the dragon on the bridge causes an immediate driver crash.

My Observations: Crashes are caused when certain VFX are present in the scene. This most notably happens in combat when lots of spells are being cast, or like the VFX near the dragon.

I have updated my drivers to the latest. I tried changing all kinds of graphics settings - same thing was happening until I changed the resolution to the lowest one available: 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz
This allowed me to get past that particular crash, however, it is not ideal - as I'd like to play the game at 1920 x 1080.

My savegame, output.log and DxDiag info can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UHjaTF9-WwfcQdQEjHWou5gm1CaZm_C6
There's no crash dump, as it wasn't generated.

I'm not sure what happened in the months since the game release and now (patches, Windows updates etc.), however, 
would appreciate Obsidian looking into this.

Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Hey Agarwaen,

I'm sorry you're getting all these crashes when all the VFX are firing.  I've put in a bug report for this and attached all the files you provided.  A question I just wanted to check on was if this is just as bad in the Base Game scenes or only in the Beast of Winter DLC scenes.  I presume it is happening all over, but just wanted to be sure.

While the team investigates the issue, it may be a good idea to completely uninstall Deadfire and reinstall the entire game including the DLCs.  This seems to have worked for some people, presumably as the game is putting everything together at once instead of doing it piecemeal when the DLCs release.  Please let me know how things turn out!

Thank you, and sorry again for the inconvenience these crashes are causing you.