I am currently attempting an Ultimate Run using a wild orlan cipher. Probably should have gone with a boreal dwarf, but I always struggle with the idea of having a dwarven MC. Just completed Act I sneaking and avoiding most fights, but where I needed to fight I used a rapier & dagger or mace & dagger (depending on the foe) and I am wearing brigandine (50% recovery penalty).
Stats are as follows:
I have upgraded my whip fully to increase focus generation and am using the typical cypher powers that one would use this stage of the game (Mental Binding & WoT). Managed to score a fair amount of crits against the foes that were hit with a mental binding, but in general I needed Mental Binding to be active for this build to really generate focus at a decent pace.
At this point in the game, I did not need to specialise in a specific weapon type, but going forward it will be needed an I am still undecided.
Some thoughts on each approach follow:
- Saw Boeroer's post where he mentioned using the Forgemaster's Gloves for Firebrand and getting crits of 100+ damage. This would definitely be a viable option, but I would not be able to use Gauntlets of Speed. I could use the Deadfire items and get the Cannoneer belt, but have been avoiding using them as these items were not part of the base game.
- Alternatively, I could go for the Hours of St. Rumbalt and have annihilating (Firebrand also has this), which would mean very decent damage and therefore decent focus generation.
- After a couple of more levels, I could go for Tidefall which almost seems like a step down from the above two options as it loses annihilation, but it would still be a decent DPS option.
- This also prepares me for using Abydon's Hammer which would be a decent end-game weapon when finishing up the dragons and final bounties.
- I could also use an estoc, which has some decent options, but Weapon Focus Soldier (great sword) also includes the arquebus which gives me some ranged flexibility.
- Dual wielding with Godansthunyr and We Toki is a very decent synergy whereby opponents can be both stunned or proned. Neither has annihilating which is a bit of a bummer, but they worked extremely well in my Frozen Crown Solo run with a rogue.
- A surprising second combo, which is usable now, mentioned by Boeroer as well is the Sword of Daenysis and March Steel Dagger combo using Vulnerable Attack. That would have decent DR bypass and decent attack speed, but I have never used that combo in any playthrough. Not really sure how well this would stack up against the Godansthunyr and We Toki combo, but at least it only requires a single Weapon Focus.
- Currently I am using Gaun's Snare and Azureith's Stiletto, but this combo is not that great at generating focus although the Jolting Touch is quite a damage dealer at this point.
Any feedback on the pros and cons of the above options would be appreciated. Remember, this is not just about DPS, but other synergies as well. For instance, using Mental Binding, I already get the paralyzed affliction which is better than either prone or stun.
I am currently leaning towards a two-hander, as the damage output and focus generation would be insane at this stage of the game.