Random Crashes During Sea Battles

Corthaxius

Question

Ok, so now I got the same issue again as I reported in this Post. To bring you up to speed on the problem: My system crashes with the screen going from the game immediately to black and then the system reboots from zero, as if I had just pressed the "on" button. Windows then asks me if I want to start normally or whatever.

But I'm not exactly sure it's the same problem as in my previous post. I didn't get any crashes lately since disabling "Lights" in the graphics options so I decided to open a new topic on the cause. Also the crashes now only occur in sea battles, meaning fights on deck (as opposed to randomly everywhere before), as the title suggests and always, when some cipher power or a somehow similar effect gets triggerd. Which is a real problem because I'm playing a cipher in my current playthrough.

I tried disabling more or less all additional graphic options but it didn't change anything. Sometimes I can finish a sea battle without the system crashing but it's quite annoying by now to have my machine reboot every few minutes. It's not totally reproducible and I have no idea what might be the exact cause of it.

I hope someone can help me out here. It seems to have to do with the recent patch as I didn't have the problem anymore before that (since the problem mentioned in the other post anyway).

Find a savegame before my latest sea battle, my dxdiag and the output log attached to this post for what it's worth. Unfortunately no crash output as it's not making any log entries when taking the whole system with it.

Best regards.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Edited by Corthaxius

5 answers to this question

Well, this is frustrating.

I got out of that sea battle only to get another crash in some standard fight. So it doesn't seem to be the sea battles only. This time it crashed when I let Tekehu cast his Relentless Storm. So I guess it has something to do with the effects. But since I had basically all graphic effects disabled I have no idea what's going on.

It seems I can't really play the game as it is. Help would be appreciated. I'd really love continue with the game.

Best regards.

Hello Corthaxius,

I'm so sorry that Deadfire is causing your computer to do this to you, especially this frequently.  I've taken all the data you've provided and attached it to a new bug for this specific case and linked some similar bugs to that report as well for more reference.  The Programming team is going to see what they can find out and hopefully get a fix soon.  If you happen to discover anything else about this issue or have other data that might prove useful, please let me know and I will gladly add it to the information for Programming to check out.

Thanks, and sorry for all the inconvenience this has been causing.

Well, this is frustrating.

I got out of that sea battle only to get another crash in some standard fight. So it doesn't seem to be the sea battles only. This time it crashed when I let Tekehu cast his Relentless Storm. So I guess it has something to do with the effects. But since I had basically all graphic effects disabled I have no idea what's going on.

It seems I can't really play the game as it is. Help would be appreciated. I'd really love continue with the game.

Best regards.

I started getting the crashes when I upgraded to the 1080. When I reinstalled my 980 they stopped. I would say that’s significant, but when I built my new rig, I put the 1080 back in. I’m wondering if the mismatch between newer GPU and older CPU is meaningful.

EDIT: Also worth noting, I too noticed that the issue seemed to be related to water scenes...until I started getting crashes in BoW. Just throwing that out there.

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Hello Corthaxius,

I'm so sorry that Deadfire is causing your computer to do this to you, especially this frequently.  I've taken all the data you've provided and attached it to a new bug for this specific case and linked some similar bugs to that report as well for more reference.  The Programming team is going to see what they can find out and hopefully get a fix soon.  If you happen to discover anything else about this issue or have other data that might prove useful, please let me know and I will gladly add it to the information for Programming to check out.

Thanks, and sorry for all the inconvenience this has been causing.

Thank you for the reply. If I find out something else I'll write it in here.

EDIT: Just remembered something about the last crash - when Tekehu cast his Relentless Storm it still showed the graphic effect of the lightning, but the sound for it never came. The picture froze for a split second and then the system restarted with some cracking sound from my headphones. While rebooting I also heard some weird cracking sounds from my headphones that I don't usually get while starting up. It made me think that it also might have something to do with some sound effect or something. But to be honest, I'm groping in the dark here. I'll try to reproduce it and listen more closely.

Edited by Corthaxius