The multiclassing, subclass, progression systems

I'm one of those gamers that spends equal time in game playing my character as I do outside the game planning my character.

Now, I hold PoE to a different standard than I do other games (eg, Path of Exile) but, nevertheless, I find the character creation and progression system kind of dissatisfying. I don't really look forward to the next level so I can unlock abilities; instead I just want to get through the the leveling screen so I can fight and quest more. Maybe this is a compliment to the combat system, but there's no reason both system (combat and progression) shouldn't be equally satisfying.

Of course some classes need some work (better abilities here or there, balance here or there). But I don't think that throwing abilities at my dissatisfaction will work. I think it's the system as a whole.

So I'm curious what other people think about the system as a whole? Does it irk you as well? Could it be improved? What would improve it?

I don't think it's vastly different to other RPGs out there. I think more abilities would definitely help. Maybe also less transparency. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but since the whole ability tree is visible from the beginning, it makes each new level less of a surprise. Maybe this is nostalgia bias, but I remember unlocking a new round of spells in Icewind Dale to be a big treat. But in Deadfire, I know exactly what's coming, so it's less of a big deal. 

• Like 1

I actually like the character progression in Deadfire. Multiclassing really opened up tons of character concepts and has made replaying this game actually fun.

(I have about 110 hours of play time).

That being said, I find PotD to be extremely limiting in how you can build your characters. The higher armor and penetration that enemies have makes your own armor an all or nothing affair and  penetration enhancing abilities mandatory.

I actually like the character progression in Deadfire. Multiclassing really opened up tons of character concepts and has made replaying this game actually fun.

(I have about 110 hours of play time).

That being said, I find PotD to be extremely limiting in how you can build your characters. The higher armor and penetration that enemies have makes your own armor an all or nothing affair and  penetration enhancing abilities mandatory.

This is completely not true and the biggest load of crap i have ever heard in my life.

In the early levels on POTD it helps to have 2 dedicated tanks with high AR. That leaves you with three other characters to build freely.

I have played hundreds of hours on POTD and never once used any PEN enhancing abilities either. They are completely not needed at all.

If you are in a fight and there are alot of enemies that have high AR eg paladins, fighters DONT target them first. Lock them down with your tanks and use your other party members to kill of the casters, rogues, monks ect,,then kill the enemies tanks last

Also after you hit about level 12 all 5 of your characters will be able to walk around naked and beat the game with a broomstick because POTD hasnt been balanced properly towards the middle and end of the game. The release of the new expansion has made the balancing even worse because you get a whole heap of powerful items from it that you bring in to complete the remainder of the game (I am literately 100% not being sarcastic)

Edited by Teclis23

Maybe also less transparency. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but since the whole ability tree is visible from the beginning, it makes each new level less of a surprise. Maybe this is nostalgia bias, but I remember unlocking a new round of spells in Icewind Dale to be a big treat. But in Deadfire, I know exactly what's coming, so it's less of a big deal. 

Oooh, FRACK no. I hate not having information available. It just means I have to go outside the game to find a FAQ or a walkthrough. I want to plan ahead; planning is part of the fun. (A game system in which I do not spend at LEAST an hour on first level character generation (which may include "fiddle with faces" time in appropriate games) is not trying very hard.)

More abilities would be preferrable.

(I should also point I am the sort of player that plays - actually, let's be strictly correct, DMs - 3.5/PF (in fact a hybrid version I call 3.A) with the majority of the mechanics whistles (classes/feats/spells) turned on and added to.)

• Like 1