The idea that players (will) change grimoires is fundamentally flawed from where I sit. It needs to be confirmed by in-game data but it seems pretty obvious that players will likely not (want to), remember combinations provided by spell picks on level up, default grimoire and quick slot grimoires thus will settle for a single grimoire and adjust their spell picks accordingly. As I noted before, how this was not realized in beta and Q&A is beyond me. 

If you had something like "PoE Wizards: The Game," in which grimoire switching was a fundamental mechanic, it'd work. But as is, yeah, it's just an extra detail in a game where there's already a huge amount of information to absorb. It ends up as little other than a thing that some high-end builds or play strategies utilize.

There are also other factors, lack of passives, two casts per PL, limiting sub-classes, unbalanced spells, switching mechanics, and encounters design. Realistically, speaking from my experience but do not see any reason why it would not apply in general, no-multiclass Wizard picks 1-2 spells per level and has another 2 from her/his grimoire. These 3-4 spells, per PL, are very likely to be the "best in slot" and used all the time anyway so switching grimoires just does not make sense, there is simply no need. 

Perhaps the idea behind grimoire design is not to encourage switching them but rather .. hey, let's try another Wiz with this grimoire or even hey, let's use this grimoire. From meta-gaming perspective, such idea is let's say naive. 

Edited by knownastherat