Is it a bug that casters can start casting straight away if they are using firearms?

So firearms have no recovery they have reload.

So if your a caster you dont have to wait for recovery to refresh if you are using a firearm before you start casting

was this intended?

Makes a huge difference and really makes bows, crossbows, rods, wands ect irrelevant if you are a caster

Its really usefull for priests because if someone is taking damage the priest can heal them pretty much instantly 

It's intended, reload takes the place of recovery for both firearms as well as crossbows and arbalests (everything that affects recovery time also affects reload time btw, good or bad). So yeah, that is very useful for casters and other characters that may want to be able to respond to things immediately. Though it'll also depend on the play style you're going for with a caster of course, not all of them will need to be able to fire off spells that quickly (and of course dual-wielding wands is going to get you very short recovery as well, to similar effect).

• Like 1

Because all weapons have a range of different strengths and weaknesses, and reload vs recovery is only one of them. How important that actually is for a caster is very much going to depend on how you build the character. It's hardly like it is of complete and utterly overriding importance that all casters must be able to instantly respond to things with spells (as also evidenced by the fact that plenty of people have casters wielding melee weapons). 

• Like 1

Does casting reset the reloading entirely tho?

Because if it does its still pretty whatever.

Yes it does. Any action while reloading will reset it. I’ve been putting wands and rods on my casters with the occasional bow or melee backup weapon so that they can get more auto attacks off

• Like 1

No, it doesn't reset the reloading. If you interrupt the reload to do something else, then once you get back to reloading it continues where it left off (not sure what happens with weapon switch though). So it's not that the time will have been wasted if you cast a spell or chug a potion halfway through reloading your arquebus or whatever.

The advantage of weapons with recovery is, imo, you can kite with weapons that have recovery, which you cant with weapons that have reload as you stop reloading if you move. The other point is that all weapons that have reload only have piercing damage type (correct me if i'm wrong), so you're kind of boned vs skeletons if you only have guns.

• Like 1