Aloth's nonsensical pained look

AndreaColombo

Question

This is yet another instance of a companion reaction that doesn't quite make sense to me:

8l5zmRO.png

Is Aloth reacting to my asking why Aruihi needs a Watcher for this task?

If yes, the protagonist is clearly not taking pride in their being a Watcher here, or flaunting it. That the protagonist is a Watcher is a fact, and one the protagonist didn't actively want or pursue to boot; why a Watcher would be needed for a task that doesn't involve peering into the Beyond is a fair question.

Or is he bothered by Aruihi's suggestion that the Watcher has keen senses?

It doesn't seem like he's just catering to the Watcher's pride.

Rolling eyes at Tekehu's asking whether I've come to bask in perfection is understandable (and I'm not even sure Aloth rolls his eyes then!) but this?

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

4 answers to this question

What sarcasm?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

"Is Aloth reacting to my asking why Aruihi needs a Watcher for this task?"

Yes. By asking that question you are implying that the task is beneath you. . .or something like that.

I agree, it seems like a legitimate question born of curiosity rather than hubris, but the writers thought otherwise.