Part of this is my own fault because I've been playing without the option to show unqualified interactions (because I find it more of an enjoyable surprise when I do get options).

But with high-10s, low-20s in certain non-combat skills, I'm wondering if there are many really high skill check requirements in deadfire at all. I just had a 16 Diplomacy check for the Nemnok the Devourer quest, and it's honestly the first time I've seen such a high check. Which leads me to conclude one of two things:

a) deadfire really doesn't have many high skill check requirements, so it's rarely worth it to focus on a specific non-combat skill

b) deadfire does have a decent number of high skill check requirements, but i've just been missing them all because i was doing the encounters at too low a level or hadn't invested enough at the time i did them.

Anyone with more experience chime in whether it's really that worth it to invest in a single non-combat skill check?

NOTE: I am excluding "degenerate" cases where a unique item scales based on a non-combat skill. I'm mostly curious about encounter/dialogue checks.

I knew I made the right choice to focus on Intimidate when I made that dragon run with its tail between its legs. Twice.

I can't think of a single top-tier Intimidate check that didn't crack me up. Yeah, sometimes you get the avoidable fight, or you avoid a good one, but it's always been at least funny and in-character. It's like, the Watcher is really tired of everyone's bull**** and just wants to get to the end credits ASAP.

I think the Indimidate check for Nemnok was something like an 18. And it was absolute badassery.

Edited by Esajin

I think that there are only few high difficulty skill checks because new system was designed in the way that players have very few points to buy skills, literally one for each category per level. Too high difficulty checks would ruin experience because  the world has open structure. There is no way to anticipate where player will go or in which order, to properly set all tests for his skills. Even if you put all points in one skill there would be a chance that you still can't succes in several numbers of skill chceks. It could work only if the system was based on active RNG tests to balance the result. In current state it just checks if your skill is equal or higher than DC. It's all or none and the game knows it from the advance.

Some world map interactions test all characters in skills like Athletics or Stealth so there is a reason to put few points in those for everyone. There are items which grant scaling bonuses based on the value of certain skills. The party can help Watcher in his skillchecks by adding few points from companions, but you need at least 1 point invested in such skill.

Another reason for only few high DC is that there are some skills which require another skill to work. Fro example you can't steal without stealth enabled. Some locks can be picked only if you use stealth etc. More skills in single playthrough work for better experience in the game world and combine coherent mechanics.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif