How Necessary are Perception/Intellect/Resolve For Roleplaying?

Hey guys, 

So, this might not be the right place for this discussion, but I suppose it is a sort of "Character Build" question when you think about it. I'm playing a Ravager right now and really enjoying the combat aspects of it (Will be even moreso once I get things like Barbaric Blow and the Monk Modals). I've even had a few neat RP interactions using my Watcher's Deadfire background (I was able to resolve the Mokeha quest in a new way). I'm heavy into Might, Constitution, and Dexterity but light in Intellect, Resolve, and Perception, and I've noticed I'm missing some of the more preferable dialogue options from my characters with higher Perception. For example, being able to solve the Ilari questline peacefully without paying him, and some dialogue options with Ikawha. Neither of those are necessarily required for full enjoyment of the game, but I was wondering about other potential choices down the line. How much is my lack of investment in these three attributes going to hamper my ability to roleplay, and are there items I can get somewhere that would allow me to boost these stats up to required levels? 

I'd say the occurrence of mental stat checks in dialogues is roughly: Per - high, Int - medium, Res - low. Gear bonuses stacking now makes it easier to buff up low scores. Just going by gear I stumbled across while playing, there are several +2 Int helms, at least one +2 Int amulet, and a +1 Int ring. Boots of Res +2. Per cloak and ring +1 each.

Foods +2 . Drugs (e.g. Ripple Sponge, Svef) can give large bonuses, especially with high Alchemy. Pet +1.

I was so paranoid about this issue that my first character had 18 in all mental scores, with the intention of hitting 20s relatively quickly through buffs (someone had spooked me with talk of multiple DC 20 checks before release). Just so happens this approach meshes very well with a Paladin tank, just like in PoE 1.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

honestly there seem very few skill checks on attributes...the most i have seen was perception....but not that high and perception is nice for spotting traps and treasure anyway.... int, resolve, i haven't seen any 20 hours into the game... what gets checked often are skills and backgrounds -  what comes up often is diplomacy/bluff/intimidate and insight...what also pop's up regularly is survival especially in scripted events, history, religion and streetwise are fewer but come up sometimes....Athletics comes up too in scripted events

What i do is just focus one of my characters on one skill, i think most beneficial to the main character are insight, diplomacy and athletics

Less important than in PoE 1. As noted above, a great many checks in this game rely on the secondary skills, and many more also check class, race, or background. So while the mental attributes are still important, they're not *as* important as they were.

If you play as an Island Amaua from the Deadfire Archipelago, you have access to a *lot* of dialogue options you don't otherwise.

Alright. Though, I'm definitely hurting for perception at this point - I'm at the Engwithan digsite and not being able to spot the traps isn't particularly fun. Can someone point out some of the better Perception boosting items and where to get them (Vendors/Locations)? I don't really consider that 'spoiling' too much. 

Alright. Though, I'm definitely hurting for perception at this point - I'm at the Engwithan digsite and not being able to spot the traps isn't particularly fun. Can someone point out some of the better Perception boosting items and where to get them (Vendors/Locations)? I don't really consider that 'spoiling' too much. 

don't you have party members with high perception?

You will have fun then, there is an island on the lower left corner of the map (which may or may not contain nice treasure) that may or may not have a bazillion traps :-) :-)

You will have fun then, there is an island on the lower left corner of the map (which may or may not contain nice treasure) that may or may not have a bazillion traps :-) :-)

Playing through with story companions. Eder, Xoti, and Aloth (For SOME reason) all have 12 Perception. Hopefully Serafen has more. 

Playing through with story companions. Eder, Xoti, and Aloth (For SOME reason) all have 12 Perception. Hopefully Serafen has more.

Nope...you need maia

Maia is the only companion with a decent (16?) Perception.  Port Maj has a +Perception item in a well... but you need decent Perception to find it.  Not one of the more common stats gear wise, theres probably drugs available to help, but that pushes you into having a decent Alchemy Score, I vaguely remember seeing 2.2 or something sad with a (basically) unskilled character trying to up my stats through consumables.