Everything posted by Maedhros
-
Weirder, More random, More Interesting.
- Weirder, More random, More Interesting.
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2019/05/europe/finland-fake-news-intl/ How Finland counters fake news- Politics First Contact
Fun fact about her is that she is the child of two same-sex parents. Surely that's a first as far as state leaders go? Also, TIL there's a political party in Finland called "Swedish People's Party of Finland"- Politics First Contact
Who said anything about not paying anyone enough? He clearly thought he was being paid more than enough, which is why he suggested lowering his own wages. He made a suggestion to the "city council", and they voted in favour of his suggestion, so it's not like he forced it through on his own. His only condition was that the money would go to certain things like elderly care, youth clubs and alike. Why not give praise to someone who's willing to sacrifice something to the benefit of others? Whether he does a good job remains to be seen, so any speculation on that front is pointless. Not really interested in starting a discussion on money and motivation, and how one should reward good work. My post was more a case of "feelgood - a Politician who isn't motivated by greed and power" type of post. Unless of course his wage reducement is all a ploy in order to gain sympathy and more voters! You never know.- Politics First Contact
https://norwaytoday.info/news/sokndal-may-have-the-youngest-mayor-of-all-time/ Mayor of my neighbour town/village is the youngest of all time in that job, at least in Norway. But more interesting, and not available in English articles, is that he reduced his wages by 25%. Politicians should be servants, not a means to enrichen yourself. Well done! ...in before "but now he's more susceptible to bribery!"- TV and Streaming: The Thread
The Mandalorian gets worse with every episode. Too much fan service, and too much reliance on common tropes. The potential is there, but they're not really doing much with it.- The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)
Everyone was raving about how great Marriage Story was, so I gave it a watch with my wife. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanson both deliver good performances, and the film is good. Both the strength and the weakness of the film is that it stays very grounded.- Politics First Contact
It's a human thing, not only an American one. Though having a two-party system will of course give nourishment to the dichotomus way of thinking.- TV and Streaming: The Thread
Great episode of Watchmen, wish I could watch the next one right away.- What you did Today: The Story of you
Made the final arrangements for my birthday wine tasting. A new yearly event where I invite my closest friends, and we have a (relatively) formal blindtasting of wines from my cellar. 4 whites, 4 reds and two dessert wines are good to go - the oldest from 1966.- TV and Streaming: The Thread
Mandalorian is one of those series where I manage to ignore its flaws, turn off my brain and enjoy the ride.- A Funny Stuff Thread
- What you did Today: The Story of you
Freezing cold here. Then again, it's Norway. Went to an Edvard Munch exhibition - http://kodebergen.no/en/exhibitions/edvard-munch-there-are-worlds-within-us and then a Nikolai Astrup one afterwards - http://kodebergen.no/en/exhibitions/nikolai-astrup-–-out-shadows Both great in its own way. Munch's self portraits are pretty amazing, couldn't find good pictures online of any except this one- TV and Streaming: The Thread
Liking the first two episodes of Mandalorian. While not without flaws, it has its own style and does well at what it tries to do with tight and "to-the-point" storytelling.- Politics First Contact
https://www.thelocal.se/20191115/china-threatens-sweden-over-prize-to-dissident-author Good job Sweden!- Politics First Contact
It sounds weird to you because you think of freedom as "freedom from constraints", whereas I think of freedom as "the ability to do something" - it's a pretty classic divide in how one interprets "Freedom". Read up on Negative/Positive freedom. Having free education will realistically give poor people easier access to education = more freedom for them. Free healthcare doesn't have to be garbage, nor does free education. Your analogy is quite good btw, if I were a dog I'd rather be an owned dog with a good owner than a stray dog.- Politics First Contact
As a word it is quite meaningless when people interpret it so differently yeah. Socalism to me? Free healthcare and education should be a human right, and something we should aspire to have together. Why not make life easier for all of us if we can? If I were rich I'd gladly pay high taxes to help benefit a system like that, just like I do now with my average wage. If that's "socialism", then socialism sounds more "free" to me than a system that can potentially enslave and cripple you with debt for the rest of your life. I can't say I often feel envy, but rather a strong feeling of wanting everyone to have the same opportunities I've had. Use the collective to make life better for the individual. Sacrifice some freedom (tax), to gain more freedom (free healthcare/education, long m/paternity leave, longer holidays, etc). On a sidenote, I also think working hours in pretty much all jobs should decrease. FREEDOM!- Politics First Contact
It has to do with justice more than envy. People who work their asses off shouldn't struggle economically - yet many do. So yes, Waaaaa, it's not fair! Most people can't seem to understand that democratic socialism isn't about leaving a capitalist system, or preventing people from getting rich. You want the best of both worlds.- Weirder, More random, More Interesting.
Danes are crazy- Weirder, More random, More Interesting.
Made me think of this- Weirder, More random, More Interesting.
" Rogue River Blue is made from organic milk, cave-aged nine to 11 months and hand-wrapped in Syrah grape leaves that have soaked in pear liqueur. It’s known to exhibit flavors of blackberry, vanilla, hazelnut and bacon – all of which would probably pair nicely. " That sounds amazing. Oregon has wonderful wines, so I'm not surprised that they also make great cheese over there. There's so much fantastic cheese being made all over the world now, the Frenchies shouldn't be surprised. Last year's winner is made in my neighbourhood, and is ridiculously tasty & expensive. I can imagine this cheese is (or will be) as well.- Politics Generations
You should move to Norway. Mass transit here is awesome since we're all too socially awkward to talk to each other.- Politics Generations
Bad air quality is another environmental issue that should get more attention. Millions of people die to it yearly, and millions more get asthma or underdeveloped lungs due to it. I was pretty happy when my city decided to do something about it (partly by reducing the amount of cars and cruiseships near congested areas). https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/29/air-pollution-worlds-children-breathing-toxic-air-who-study-finds It's weird that it isn't used more as an argument in Climate Change debates. "OK so you don't believe that man can affect climate change - but you still want clean air right? The solutions are the same."- TV and Streaming: The Thread
He nailed the voice as far as I'm concerned. Looks like it'll be fun, if not as good as the books/games.- TV and Streaming: The Thread
Happy they discarded the "Long Night" HBO series. Seemed very uninteresting, and didn't really have much basis in anything GRRM has written. The new show, "House of the Dragon", apparently based on the Dance of Dragons sequence in Fire & Blood, could potentially be good. The recipe is there, they just gotta adapt it properly, and keep David & Dan far away from it. Edit: When I think about it, their cooking was fine when they followed the recipe. -- Mandalorian also looking good. I could listen to Werner Herzog for hours. - Weirder, More random, More Interesting.